Calling All Writers! A Relief Project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
This paragraph got lost in my response:

I didn't actually mean for all of the text to be the title. I was suggesting that "Stay Strong, and other stories of Strength" could be the title, with the other text placed at the bottom of the cover, to explain our intent.

I think that it is good that we are able to discuss what we think works and what we think doesn't, because, after all, this is a group collection of our work.

I think if this anthology does prove prosperous for the Red Cross, there's no reason why we couldn't further discuss subsequent collections. I think that the number of volunteers to help with editing and production could be increased for further collections, once one anthology is established, because we could then plan well in advance of the release date.

We all appreciate how much effort and dedication is going into this by Jenna, Mac and the editors. I hope that many in the literary world will buy the anthology and some day honour Jenna and her team for their commitment to disaster relief.

kim

saraht

Registered
Reaction score
I was suggesting that "Stay Strong, and other stories of Strength" could be the title

How about: 'Stories of Strength that Helps You Stay Strong'?

Just wondering out loud.

Hey 'yall

Violet

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
I think Stories of Strength suffices and says it all. It's a title that has no boundaries relative to Katrina or Rita. They both are hurricanes.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nothin' wrong with brainstorming and tossing out food for thought, gang. I do believe we are set on Stories of Strength as the main title, but if a perfect sub-title line is presented that grabs Jenna's attention, she'll let us know, I'm sure.

The one advantage of mentioning Katrina on the cover is the recognition factor. This will forevermore be the name associated with the worst mother nature has ever thrown at the US up to this point. However, as suggested above, if we can come up with something that is indicative of the entire '05 hurricane season, then we'll have something that would make a great sub-title line, I believe. To borrow and tweak Kim's suggestion, perhaps something like:

Stories of Strength

A collection of hope in support of the 2005 Red Cross US Hurricane Relief Fund,
from the AbsoluteWrite.com Writing Community

Last edited:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry Jenna, mum just needs things spelt out for her. Preferably with pictures. *runs off before Yesh can catch her*
Oh, Ally...

Here comes mummy!
1.gif

Jenna, glad to know that you're still aiming for an October release date. It simplifies my Christmas list tremendously.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To continue my thoughts from the previous post...

Perhaps a dedication?

Dedicated to the victims of Katrina and the city of New Orleans, and all those in the USA and around the world whose lives were affected by the hurricanes of 2005

rich

Good point, Mr. C. I would also mention Biloxi and a number of other cities that were severely damaged on the west side of Katrina.

Vanessa

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, after going back through the posts, I thought we were debating on changing the original title altogether.
Sorry I misunderstood!
EmoteSmack.gif

I do agree with adding a subtitle which will give the reader a well-rounded look at the books purpose.

So forgive me?
wink.gif
puttty plz...

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Well, when I said that the title seemed long (And LOL it did, didn't it) and that I didn't see why it ought to be changed, I did also step into the spirit of suggesting alternatives (in aid of...etc) so I'm sorry if it seemed that I was saying the discussion wasn't allowed.. that wasn't my intent at all.

While reference to Katrina or reference to hurricane relief seem fine to me, the titles that start to talk about USA or Southern USA trouble me. It just seems to say 'USA concerns are all we care about really' - now that just isn't true - the AW community were as devastated by the Tsunami as by Katrina it's just that we feel more helpless about Katrina because we know our dollars don't make such a difference (exchange rates/economies don't magnify the aid we can give).

When I say that I don't think we should go with a title that specifically draws attention to 'this is for USA tragedies only' I am voicing my one-author-one-soapbox opinion, and not trying to veto the majority decision, btw.

The anthology was an emotional response to the realisation of long-term need brought about by Katrina, and I think if we re-title it too much we will lose the emotional reaction of the potential audience. '2005, eh, oh that was a long time ago, let me go find something else to buy' or 'Katrina!! oh I remember that - how could I ever forget!!'

And there's nothing to stop a dedication that says in memory and honour of those who perished in that disaster (Katrina) the members of the AbsoluteWrite community pledge the proceeds of this anthology for use to support victims of hurricane whenever and wherever they require aid --- or better words to that effect.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The anthology was an emotional response to the realisation of long-term need brought about by Katrina, and I think if we re-title it too much we will lose the emotional reaction of the potential audience. '2005, eh, oh that was a long time ago, let me go find something else to buy' or 'Katrina!! oh I remember that - how could I ever forget!!'

That is why I would be concerned about in putting a date on it--that people a year or two from now won't want to buy it because "that was so last year." Regardless of what it says, I've already started making my list of people to send the book to.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ah! I forgot to mention earlier that I have the cover and dedication wording (but it is certainly discussable). I'll paste it in here in a minute, but first, the coolest news ever...

ORSON SCOTT CARD has submitted a story and a hymn he wrote.

:Hail:

Bless you, Mr. Card.

Want to send him kissies? Visit http://www.hatrack.com/.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
JennaGlatzer said:

:::genuflects:::

We're not worthy! We're not worthy!!

Well, okay, we are, but to have the guy who wrote Ender's Game contributing -- kick a$$!!!!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, kiss sent.

I won't show my dweebishness by making like an owl...

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
JennaGlatzer said:
Ah! I forgot to mention earlier that I have the cover and dedication wording (but it is certainly discussable). I'll paste it in here in a minute, but first, the coolest news ever...

Bless you, Mr. Card.

cartwheel.gif

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
Orson Scott Card

B-E-A-utiful! That's excellent news!!

kim

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:

Bless you, Mr. Card.

You... you... you've been in contact with Orson Scott Card?????

:faint:

He's one of my heros.

Vanessa

Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:

Bless you, Mr. Card.

WOW! That's EXCELLENT News! Headed to give him a big ole' smack. I'll try not to drool all over him...

Status
Not open for further replies.