Top Paying Horror Markets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kmcelhinny

Registered
Reaction score
Another good feature of Duotrope is that if you're a subscriber (free), you can get a weekly email that lists all kinds of useful information--who is closed to subs, who has re-opened, who has changed pay rates, etc. It's a wonderful resource and one worth supporting via paypal.

Many many many thanks for everything! It helps so much! I feel like a load has been lifted.

icenine

Registered
Reaction score
This made me laugh today :D
Paraphrased from Clarkesworld's submission guidelines:

Though no particular setting, theme, or plot is anathema to us, the following are likely hard sells:

* stories in which the words "thou" or "thine" appear
* talking cats
* talking swords
* stories where the climax is dependent on the spilling of intestines
* stories where FTL travel is as easy as is it on television shows or movies
* time travel too
* stories that depend on some vestigial belief in Judeo-Christian mythology in order to be frightening (i.e., Cain and Abel are vampires, the End Times are a' comin', Communion wine turns to Christ's literal blood and it's HIV positive, Satan's gonna getcha, etc.)
* stories about young kids playing in some field and discovering ANYTHING. (a body, an alien craft, Excalibur, ANYTHING).
* stories about the stuff we all read in Scientific American three months ago.
* stories where the Republicans, or Democrats, or Libertarians, or the Spartacist League, etc. take over the world and either save or ruin it
* your AD&D game
* sexy vampires, wanton werewolves, or lusty pirates
* zombies or any other overused undead creature of the week
* stories where the protagonist is either widely despised or widely admired simply because he or she is just so smart and/or strange
* stories that take place within an artsy-fartsy bohemia as written by an author who has clearly never experienced one.

That's everything then. :)

Tweet The Meat

Meat Tweets!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Another good feature of Duotrope is that if you're a subscriber (free), you can get a weekly email that lists all kinds of useful information--who is closed to subs, who has re-opened, who has changed pay rates, etc. It's a wonderful resource and one worth supporting via paypal.

I hadn't found Duotrope until recently, and I don't know how I existed without it before. Their submission tracker is brilliant, and from the publisher end I can tell it seems pretty accurate in terms of response time, though I would take the acceptance rank percentage with a grain of salt.

dakota

Walk on the wild side...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.epertase.com
96 days and counting at Cutting Block Press for my short. The web site says within 3 months so I'm hoping they are just behind. I thought of sending a brief email but didn't think it was appropriate. But they do ask that you don't submit anywhere else while they're looking so at some point I need to consider moving on.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Be patient, even 120 days is nothing, and Horror Library is an excellent market.

badge-2.jpg

111 days and holding

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
Necrotic Tissue is by an AW Publisher/Editor? I subbed a story there recently, but werewolf stories are a hard sell, even if they are unique. I was ungratiously turned down. No, I'm kidding, I'm pretty sure it was a personal rejection, so much better than a form letter:) Maybe I'll sub "The Dental-Phobe" there.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Necrotic Tissue is by an AW Publisher/Editor? I subbed a story there recently, but werewolf stories are a hard sell, even if they are unique. I was ungratiously turned down. No, I'm kidding, I'm pretty sure it was a personal rejection, so much better than a form letter:) Maybe I'll sub "The Dental-Phobe" there.

Rsmcoy is the publisher of Necrotic Tissue, and, yes, he's an AW member. Not only do they try to offer personal rejections when they reject, but they're also very fast in turnaround. They're a good group to work with (or try to work with). :D

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
My rejection from them was personal and I got it in about... 45 days or so. I'd have to check duotrope for an exact day count, but it was something like that.

My rejections were all personal. Rejection times varied, but not by much--3,5,12,24 days. The one acceptance took 9 days.

Compare that to the length of time it took other some other pubs to reject my stories--102,106, 157, 192, and 326 days.

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
Love NT. Can't wait to see the print issue.

And isn't July the month to enter the October Bites contest again?

That was tons of fun last year. :)

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
Ooh, thanks! I didn't go to the site, just looked at my submission tracker. I can handle July 1, if I haven't sold it before then. Hey, it could happen!:)

EF, I left you a note on your "bells thing."

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Puppy, I'd definitely take a week or two over a few months. Damn, man.

Steve, July 1st isn't so far away. They're open to submissions every other month, I think is how it works. January, March, May, July, September & November, right Puppy?

I think it's every three months, Effie.

Love NT. Can't wait to see the print issue.

And isn't July the month to enter the October Bites contest again?

That was tons of fun last year. :)

Ooooo. The bites again.

Maybe we should do another one here too, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.