NEPAT Overflow

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Aconite said:
In contrast: pictures of the Tor Books offices (from SFRevu): http://www.sfrevu.com/ISSUES/2002/0208/Event%20-%20Tor/Page.html

Oh, Aconite, isn't that such a dramatic study in contrasts!! Makes me want to cry out to the PA faithful, "Folks, look at what a real publishing office looks like!! see, there are manuscripts and books all over the place."

I will say one thing to honor "fair and balanced" consideration - L@rry is the president of PA. I doubt that the president of the company that owns Tor has an office like the ones in the Tor photos. *BUT* if I were president and promoting my publishing company I think I'd at least have a book or two in the picture, even if I had to go borrow them from another office!

Frankly it looks to me like C1opp3r took a monitor and keyboard to a conference room and set it up to make it look like that's was his office. Makes you wonder if he hangs out there at all...

Last edited:

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
I usually don't read this thread; I just happened to glance at it. But I have to say, that was an excellent paradoy-poem.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Two threads on the Guestbook Slimer:

Start with Jenna's post here:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524&page=1042&pp=25

Move on to this (now closed) thread:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19847

Now I will add a bit to the mix:

Patrick Nielsen Hayden at Tor is one of my editors; I have a book under contract with him.

I spoke with him personally on this question.

He has never heard of
Evaline Horng, nor has Tor offered a contract for any book by a Evaline Horng.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
*snort* The mind boggles. It's one thing to presume PA authors wouldn't know s/he's lying, but to take it outside the Collective? And to bring it here, of all places. :crazy:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
10-12-2005, 04:43 PM #26159 momwrites vbmenu_register("postmenu_356719", true);

reputation_pos.gif

Has anyone heard of Olympia Publishers in the UK?

They offered me a contract for my adult novel, Stepping Out of the Dark. Just wanted to see if they were legit, etc...

======================

0-12-2005, 05:26 PM #26162 Sassenach vbmenu_register("postmenu_356771", true);
Board fanatic

momwrites said:
Has anyone heard of Olympia Publishers in the UK?

They offered me a contract for my adult novel, Stepping Out of the Dark. Just wanted to see if they were legit, etc...

A troubling question, IMO. Did you or an agent submit to them? If so, shouldn't you have already known if they were legit?

========================

0-12-2005, 05:37 PM #26163 Bufty vbmenu_register("postmenu_356795", true);
Board fanatic

On 3/9/05 under a thread LDS in Christian Genre Forum, Momwrites, didn't you post -

I got a contract with American Book Publishing but thank goodness didn't sign it! I will NEVER pay to have my book in print-my first book was published with Xlibris, when they did it for FREE!! How gulliable do they think we are? VERY~

How did your book get into Publish America's hands?

======================

10-12-2005, 05:51 PM #26164 momwrites vbmenu_register("postmenu_356808", true);

reputation_pos.gif

I was SCAMMED! Plain and simple! PA didn't make me give them one red dime to publish, but then I found out they were a scam and I didn't buy one single copy, therefore; they didn't make any money off of me, period! Since that time, I have pushing two other books around to publishers and got an offer from Millennial Press to publish my young adult trilogy, which...well, you know the rest...

The reason why I asked about Olympia Publishers is because they are in the UK, new and from their website, I know they are legit...maybe I should have rephased the question. they sent me a letter, along with titles they have published, saying they wanted to offer me a contract. I scrutinized the letter looking for any red flags. One part of it said I would need to be available for books signings, interviews, etc...and that the local promoting would be my responsibity, because, well, their in the U.K., and I'm in the U.S.

They said in the letter they wanted to offer me a contract based on me, myself contributing an amount towards the final cost, which to me, reads, vanity publishing, but I am not sure if they mean with marketing and promotion or the whole publishing costs. I emailed them and told them I wouldn't pay to have my book published and if that was indeed what they wanted me to do, I would have to decline their offer.

I am soooooo leery about publishing companies and there are so many out there, not just the big wigs, that are legit, but how am I to know if they are fairly new and I've never heard from them?

==========================

10-12-2005, 05:53 PM #26165 Richard vbmenu_register("postmenu_356809", true);
13th Triskaidekaphobe

If they want money, it's subsidy publishing - or 'vanity', for short. Genuine publishers don't need your money to put a book out.

===============

10-12-2005, 05:54 PM #26166 momwrites vbmenu_register("postmenu_356812", true);

I submitted my manuscript to them. At first it was a synopsis, then they wanted the whole manuscript. I sent it and then yesterday, I got a letter in the mail, saying they wanted to offer me a contract.

I was not familiar with them and know they're not a scam. Like I said, I should have rephrased my question. I just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about them was all.

===================

10-12-2005, 05:56 PM #26167 momwrites vbmenu_register("postmenu_356816", true);

Sorry, the last post was meant for Sassenach.

====================

10-12-2005, 06:05 PM #26168 Aconite vbmenu_register("postmenu_356823", true);
Full sun to light shade

momwrites, Richard is correct. So-called "subsidy" publishing, in which an author contributes part (supposedly; that portion of the costs often turns out to be the full amount) of the cost of publishing, is vanity publishing. Period. No matter how they dress it up, what they call it, or how they justify it. It's vanity.

=========================

10-12-2005, 06:11 PM #26169 Richard vbmenu_register("postmenu_356831", true);
13th Triskaidekaphobe

I was not familiar with them and know they're not a scam. Like I said, I should have rephrased my question. I just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about them was all.

I don't know them at all, but I'm curious how you know they're not a scam.

=======================

10-12-2005, 06:21 PM #26170 momwrites vbmenu_register("postmenu_356847", true);

reputation_pos.gif

Richard said:
I don't know them at all, but I'm curious how you know they're not a scam.

Richard,

they have sent me titles of their published books, and no, that doesn't mean they are legit or not, but I didn't just "happen to find them." I subscribe to FirstAlert which lets me know when publishers are looking for authors to submit manuscripts to them. I checked their name on Google and I'll I see is a few books that were published by them, but nothing else.

I am very leery and don't know what to believe anymore, that is why I am questioning, questioning, questioning...so I don't get SCAMMED again!

======================

10-12-2005, 06:23 PM #26172 Richard vbmenu_register("postmenu_356851", true);
13th Triskaidekaphobe

Momwrites, that's a lot of words to not answer my question.

======================

10-12-2005, 06:30 PM #26173 momwrites vbmenu_register("postmenu_356861", true);

reputation_pos.gif

Richard said:
Momwrites, that's a lot of words to not answer my question.

Ok, then hears a short, simple answer to your question. No, I don't know if they are legit. That is what I am trying to find out. When I sent my manuscript to PA, I didn't find anything bad about them; their contract was read by three people, including a lawyer. So, my bad.

=======================

10-12-2005, 06:45 PM #26174 Aconite vbmenu_register("postmenu_356882", true);
Full sun to light shade

momwrites said:
I subscribe to FirstAlert which lets me know when publishers are looking for authors to submit manuscripts to them.
This alone should set off alarms. Legit commercial publishers don't have to advertise for submissions. They have more submissions than they know what to do with. Have you ever seen Random House advertise for manuscripts? (Rarely, you'll see major publishers put out calls for submissions for themed anthologies and the like. But that's rare, and it's a different situation.)

I checked their name on Google and I'll I see is a few books that were published by them, but nothing else.
What you want to do is go to your area bookstores and see if this publisher's books are on the shelves. If not, odds are good they have no distribution--and I can already tell you they're not, because this is a vanity publisher. Online listings mean diddly squat. I can list books that don't physically exist and never will.

You do not want to go any further with this publisher. What you want to do, instead, is go back and read this entire thread, which will give you an excellent education in how publishing works, how to find a good publisher, and how to weed out the scammers and bad deals. It's a long thread, but it's worth it. Look around the rest of AW, too. There's a lot here you can use.

Good luck!

=========================

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yesterday, 05:19 AM #26172 AnnaWhite vbmenu_register("postmenu_357323", true);
Board fanatic

reputation_pos.gif

momwrites said:
Ok, then hears a short, simple answer to your question. No, I don't know if they are legit. That is what I am trying to find out. When I sent my manuscript to PA, I didn't find anything bad about them; their contract was read by three people, including a lawyer. So, my bad.
I agree with you, momwrites, I too intend to do as much research as possible before I ever run the risk of being scammed again! This forum is a great place to ask, since there are many experienced authors here.

However, I imagine the best way to ask whether a publisher is legit or not is by starting a new thread under "Bewares and Background Check".

Here's a few Website addresses which you probably already have, but just in case you don't...

Book Publishers
Writer Beware
Preditors & Editors
Writer's Market

===================

esterday, 07:50 AM #26173 Aconite vbmenu_register("postmenu_357387", true);
Full sun to light shade

AnnaWhite said:
However, I imagine the best way to ask whether a publisher is legit or not is by starting a new thread under "Bewares and Background Check".
CaoPaux created and maintains the excellent Index to Agent, Publishers, and Others at the top of the BABC main page. Check there first to see if the publisher, agency, or company already has a thread. (And give CaoPaux rep points. The Index kicks butt.)

==============================

esterday, 10:28 AM #26175 momwrites vbmenu_register("postmenu_357527", true);

reputation_pos.gif

AnnaWhite said:

Here's a few Website addresses which you probably already have, but just in case you don't...

Book Publishers
Writer Beware
Preditors & Editors
Writer's Market

Thanks for your suggestion. All I know about them is that they are new, as of Jan, 2005 and the information they sent me in the mail regarding books they have published or are going to publish.

=====================

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yesterday, 10:34 AM #26173 Torin vbmenu_register("postmenu_357534", true);
Wandering vaguely

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif

momwrites said:
They said in the letter they wanted to offer me a contract based on me, myself contributing an amount towards the final cost, which to me, reads, vanity publishing, but I am not sure if they mean with marketing and promotion or the whole publishing costs. I emailed them and told them I wouldn't pay to have my book published and if that was indeed what they wanted me to do, I would have to decline their offer.

Mainstream publishers will NEVER ask you to contribute toward any costs, any time, for any reason. They will offer you an advance, and take on the costs which they will be reimbursed for when your book sells. There is NO legitimate reason to give a publisher money toward the cost of publishing your book.

==================

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yesterday, 11:37 AM #26176 CaoPaux vbmenu_register("postmenu_357614", true);
Mostly Harmless

momwrites said:
I subscribe to FirstAlert which lets me know when publishers are looking for authors to submit manuscripts to them.
Could you post a link to this please? Sounds like something to investigate as either a great resource or a possible scam.

And, um, PA sux!!!11!!

======================

Yesterday, 12:57 PM #26180 momwrites vbmenu_register("postmenu_357843", true);

reputation_pos.gif

CaoPaux said:
Could you post a link to this please? Sounds like something to investigate as either a great resource or a possible scam.

And, um, PA sux!!!11!!

I believe it is www.firstalert.com or just do a search on the engine and see what comes up.

========================

Yesterday, 02:42 PM #26195 CaoPaux vbmenu_register("postmenu_358063", true);
Mostly Harmless

momwrites said:
I believe it is www.firstalert.com or just do a search on the engine and see what comes up.
I did, and all I found were sites for smoke alarms (such as that one), stock quotes, and virus detectors.

ETA: Momwrites, is this the outfit? http://www.firstwriter.com/

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yesterday, 04:58 PM #26207 momwrites vbmenu_register("postmenu_358242", true);

CaoPaux said:
ETA: Momwrites, is this the outfit? http://www.firstwriter.com/

Sorry, the URL is www.instantalert.com not first alert. Basically, you sign up for $2.99 a month and they send you publishers, agents, etc...info, along with their contact info. I got a magazine deal from the site, so it seems to be okay, but the two publishers who I sent my work to, wanted to publish it, but only if I gave them money. Other publishers didn't charge anything, so you just need to weed out those publishers.

===================

Yesterday, 05:15 PM #26209 Aconite vbmenu_register("postmenu_358261", true);
Full sun to light shade

momwrites said:
Sorry, the URL is www.instantalert.com not first alert. Basically, you sign up for $2.99 a month and they send you publishers, agents, etc...info, along with their contact info. I got a magazine deal from the site, so it seems to be okay, but the two publishers who I sent my work to, wanted to publish it, but only if I gave them money. Other publishers didn't charge anything, so you just need to weed out those publishers.
momwrites, in case you didn't know this, you can get that kind of information for free from many different places, depending on what you write; if you're willing to pay for the info, there are even more, better resources. From what you're saying, this instantalert doesn't screen out the junk; better resources do. (A heads-up: just because publishers don't charge up front doesn't mean you're not going to be asked to pay "critique fees" or "editing fees" or somesuch once they've hooked you.)

==========================

Yesterday, 05:20 PM #26211 momwrites vbmenu_register("postmenu_358265", true);

reputation_pos.gif

Aconite said:
momwrites, in case you didn't know this, you can get that kind of information for free from many different places, depending on what you write; if you're willing to pay for the info, there are even more, better resources. From what you're saying, this instantalert doesn't screen out the junk; better resources do. (A heads-up: just because publishers don't charge up front doesn't mean you're not going to be asked to pay "critique fees" or "editing fees" or somesuch once they've hooked you.)

I would love to have better resources, if you know of some. I thought they would screen publishers, but I guess not. You're right; you can't trust just anyone out there.

=================

Yesterday, 05:44 PM #26212 Aconite vbmenu_register("postmenu_358298", true);
Full sun to light shade

momwrites, what's your genre? Most of my resources concentrate on SF, but I'm sure other folks here will chime in with their favorite resources, too.

======================

Yesterday, 05:52 PM #26213 momwrites vbmenu_register("postmenu_358311", true);

Aconite said:
momwrites, what's your genre? Most of my resources concentrate on SF, but I'm sure other folks here will chime in with their favorite resources, too.

Well, I have a fantasy series for children I would like info on soon, but the one I am marketing now is more experimental/drama, because it deals with mental illness in a fictional format, so I am not sure if it fits into the norm genre.

=======================

Yesterday, 05:53 PM #26214 CaoPaux vbmenu_register("postmenu_358312", true);
Mostly Harmless

momwrites said:
That page is just a search engine/Google trap. What did you pay for?

=====================

Yesterday, 06:04 PM #26215 momwrites vbmenu_register("postmenu_358319", true);

CaoPaux said:
That page is just a search engine/Google trap. What did you pay for?
\

Sorry, I am not thinking clearly at all. :box: The URL IS www.firstwriter.com I think I either need a nap or a slap in the face to wake up.

==================

Yesterday, 06:08 PM #26217 CaoPaux vbmenu_register("postmenu_358324", true);
Mostly Harmless

momwrites said:
\

Sorry, I am not thinking clearly at all. :box: The URL IS www.firstwriter.com I think I either need a nap or a slap in the face to wake up.
Nah, a good spot of tea'll make you right as rain. :) Thanks!

====================

esterday, 06:43 PM #26219 Aconite vbmenu_register("postmenu_358360", true);
Full sun to light shade

momwrites, it sounds like the novel you're shopping around now would be general fiction or literary fiction; I'm weak in those areas, resource-wise. I'm sure someone else here can help you more. I'll be able to help you more with the YA fantasy--PM me then. In the meantime, here are some good places to start learning about agent and publisher searches:

Index to Agents, Publishers, and Others. If you go to the fifth post down, you'll find a section on "How do I find and agent and/or publisher?"

Everything You Wanted To Know About Agents, by TNH

Writer Beware, which has very good articles on searching for agents and evaluating publishers. Also look at Victoria's website .

Market resources:
Publishers Marketplace
Ralan's Webstravaganza

Print resources:
Jeff Herman's Guide to Agents (he screens for quality, but some jerks slip through, so check out anyone you're interested in before you submit)
Writer's Market (less screening than JH, but not a bad place to start)

This is a jumbled mess. Sorry. I'm trying to do six things at once, and I'm afraid I'm doing none of them well. I hope this helps a little, at least.

======================

Yesterday, 07:21 PM #26220 momwrites vbmenu_register("postmenu_358435", true);

reputation_pos.gif

Aconite said:
momwrites, it sounds like the novel you're shopping around now would be general fiction or literary fiction; I'm weak in those areas, resource-wise. I'm sure someone else here can help you more. I'll be able to help you more with the YA fantasy--PM me then. In the meantime, here are some good places to start learning about agent and publisher searches:

Index to Agents, Publishers, and Others. If you go to the fifth post down, you'll find a section on "How do I find and agent and/or publisher?"

Everything You Wanted To Know About Agents, by TNH

Writer Beware, which has very good articles on searching for agents and evaluating publishers. Also look at Victoria's website .

Market resources:
Publishers Marketplace
Ralan's Webstravaganza

Print resources:
Jeff Herman's Guide to Agents (he screens for quality, but some jerks slip through, so check out anyone you're interested in before you submit)
Writer's Market (less screening than JH, but not a bad place to start)

This is a jumbled mess. Sorry. I'm trying to do six things at once, and I'm afraid I'm doing none of them well. I hope this helps a little, at least.

Thanks a ton for these resources. They should help in my quest. :)

========================

Yesterday, 09:29 PM #26225 Jean Marie vbmenu_register("postmenu_358729", true);
Truth Teller & Java Nut

momwrites said:

I'm so glad you clarified that. Knowing first alert are the smoke detectors confused the heck out of me. On the other hand, do you think they make scam alerts? You know, the kind of thing that would sound like a hive full of bees buzzing in your ear: Don't sign w/ Scuzz America-bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Yeah, I haven't had much sleep lately.

=======================

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Dawno said:
I will say one thing to honor "fair and balanced" consideration - L@rry is the president of PA. I doubt that the president of the company that owns Tor has an office like the ones in the Tor photos. *BUT* if I were president and promoting my publishing company I think I'd at least have a book or two in the picture, even if I had to go borrow them from another office!

Actually, if you scroll to the bottom of the Tor office photos you will find one of Tom Doherty, who is in fact the head of Tor/Tom Doherty Associates. (I'm not sure if he uses the actual title president or not but I know he's the head honcho.) At any rate, you can tell by the piles of stuff on his desk that he actually USES his office, and for publishing related business at that. It's not nearly as sterile-looking as that of Mr. Cl0pper.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Kasey Mackenzie said:
Actually, if you scroll to the bottom of the Tor office photos you will find one of Tom Doherty, who is in fact the head of Tor/Tom Doherty Associates. (I'm not sure if he uses the actual title president or not but I know he's the head honcho.) At any rate, you can tell by the piles of stuff on his desk that he actually USES his office, and for publishing related business at that. It's not nearly as sterile-looking as that of Mr. Cl0pper.

Good catch and thanks! Tom Doherty is a real publisher. :)

I just read their FAQ page, it's very interesting - especially the submissions guidelines :). I thought they were a subsidiary but apparently they are a separate company rather than an affiliate company.

More recently, in 1998, Holtzbrinck (whom you'll recall are the new majority owners of Macmillan UK and thus of St. Martin's Press) reorganized their American book publishing operations, and as one result Tom Doherty Associates/Tor Books became once again a separate company under the aegis of Holtzbrinck, like Henry Holt, rather than an internal division of St. Martin's Press. However, as a matter of convenience, affinity, and geography, we still share the Flatiron Building and several service departments with St. Martin's Press.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ported from NEPAT.

Egem:

Wow okay, I really thought we were talking about the nature of publishing here. I felt as though this board would be a good place to post about writing. PA was simply as starting point. I have never been so quickly attacked. I am done with this board.

I see a few well published writers really misleading the rest of these people that post here. They make it seem like getting published at a large publishing house is the only way to go. This is of course not true. I think it is a good thing to have a wide range of options in publishing. I had hoped to talk about the fine line that PA is walking and really get people to understand that it is a publishing option but you must, as with any publisher, be very careful in working with them. Yes if you publish scifi or other very popular genres trying to get into a large publishing house is the way to go, but in truth, not everyone writes in these genres. If you want to publish a cookbook for example you may not be considered a writer by the good Dr. or Ms. Mass, but some would like to go that route and still be respected by a community of writers. I'm not sure what this board is about. It seemed like a fun and kind place, but the more I post real questions the more sour the air turns.

I have no stake in this. I really only had a question and didn't want to read 1000 pages of attacks. Wow what a group of people you have here. How kind how welcoming. To the good Dr. it seems from your bio you have done some real good in the world and are a truely kind person. Is the a place for you? To Ms. Mass I would only say make sure all these writers get a real picture of what it takes to become a writer. That is how you can help them.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ported from NEPAT.

Liz James:

I came on here with a similar question, Egem, and was met with much the same degree of hostility and derision. It's really too bad. I feel very sorry for those who are so filled with anger and frustration, that they need to vent on total strangers via an Internet message board. They must be extremely unhappy individuals. You have made some excellent, and totally valid points. It's been a pleasure reading your input.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ported from NEPAT.

Aconite:

egem, you walk in here, read NONE of the backthread, read none of the hundreds of other threads on this board, post factually incorrect information in the guise of offering expert experience, and threaten to go off in a huff when people respond to that. What, exactly, do you expect to happen in situations like that?

If you want people to be polite to you, try being polite to them.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ported from NEPAT.

rekirts:

They are related! ;-) <indicates light-hearted joking (as opposed to dripping sarcasm.)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ported from NEPAT.

Jean Marie:

Originally Posted by egem
Dr. Macdonald are you acting like you don't have an agenda? Do you own a publishing house? I'm sorry if you do not, and I got this fact wrong. As a sci fi writer it seems like you would be all for a nontraditional way to publish. Also, if I dove into your background what would I find?

Several things concern me here: You've got a BFA in writing and you're a school teacher??? Hmm, do you take a few seconds to edit/proof your posts before clicking on submit? I swear this is not an attack, but, it's a perfect example of how PA does not edit a darn thing. You submitted a post as is. And that is how you would receive your printed book-PA is a printer, not to be confused w/ a publisher.

What shocks me at the moment, is your unfounded attack on Jim McDonald. How dare you! What in hay gives you the right to do such a thing??? How about stepping up to the plate w/ YOUR identity so we may dive into YOUR background?? Or, do you reside in a glass house?? Since you're in the proverbial shadows; you must. May I suggest a rock?

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ported from NEPAT.

Bufty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz James
I came on here with a similar question, Egem, and was met with much the same degree of hostility and derision. It's really too bad. I feel very sorry for those who are so filled with anger and frustration, that they need to vent on total strangers via an Internet message board. They must be extremely unhappy individuals. You have made some excellent, and totally valid points. It's been a pleasure reading your input.

Don't bring that up again, Liz, please. :flag: If I post on a Board for the first time, I normally introduce myself briefly either in the posting or separately in the appropriate Newbie Forum as a matter of simple courtesy. Or I give details in the Profile section. That often avoids cases of misunderstanding.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ported from NEPAT.

Liz James:

Quote:
Originally Posted by egem
Wow okay, I really thought we were talking about the nature of publishing here. I felt as though this board would be a good place to post about writing. PA was simply as starting point. I have never been so quickly attacked. I am done with this board.

I thought so too, and I guess that was naive, for there are usually agendas. And money is at the root of them. Cast your eyes on the banner ads that pay for this site. And the books on writing instruction that are for sale here.
Quote:
I see a few well published writers really misleading the rest of these people that post here. They make it seem like getting published at a large publishing house is the only way to go. This is of course not true. I think it is a good thing to have a wide range of options in publishing. I had hoped to talk about the fine line that PA is walking and really get people to understand that it is a publishing option but you must, as with any publisher, be very careful in working with them.

The publishing world is changing drastically and just like any other business one must realise this and act accordingly. There is more than just one "valid" way to achieve publication. But then this does not tally with certain motives which dominate here. I wouldn't personally choose PA for a number of reasons, but for some writers it's the way to go. The point to remember is that every situation is different. One size does not fit all. Heck, even manufacturers are changing their labels with the disclaimer: "fits most!" ;-)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ported from NEPAT.

Aconite:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz James
There is more than just one "valid" way to achieve publication. But then this does not tally with certain motives which dominate here. I wouldn't personally choose PA for a number of reasons, but for some writers it's the way to go. The point to remember is that every situation is different. One size does not fit all. Heck, even manufacturers are changing their labels with the disclaimer: "fits most!" ;-)

Liz, if you'd bothered to read anything on this site--even the backthread here--you'd see that no one is advocating a "one size fits all" way of publication. But you're not interested in finding out what's really being said here; you're interested in making smarmy insinuations and promoting your own agenda while accusing others.

Time to relink an old favorite: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/sho...88&page=1&pp=25

Let's not let ourselves be sidetracked, ladies and gentlemen. Momwrites is looking for information, PA's supposed return policy hasn't shown up yet, and there's plenty of material for line-by-lines. Pick a topic and run with it. :)

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ported from NEPAT.

rekirts:

I see a few well published writers really misleading the rest of these people that post here. They make it seem like getting published at a large publishing house is the only way to go.
Well, I'm pretty new here. I'm a published writer, but not a 'well published' one. I certainly didn't get the impression from anyone here that a large publishing house was the only way to go. The impression I got was that avoiding scams was the only way to go. I have not been dissuaded by anyone from my inclination to seek out small legitimate publishers for my work. I have also learned that if I were to choose self-publication, which is given as an acceptable option, I should go with a company like lulu.com which will not rip me off.

I didn't come in here looking for a fight so I didn't see 'agendas' lurking in every shadow. Personally, I don't ever notice banners so I don't see them as part of an 'agenda'--hidden or otherwise. ;-)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ported from NEPAT.

Argile:

Egem, you have to be in "it" to comment about "it". The vast majority of individuals who place Posts on this forum have 'been there, done that' with regards to PublishAmerica.

If you had gleamed through at least one quarter of the Posts that have been generated by individuals who have been injured by PublishAmerica, you would have been educated in the many paths that these individuals have taken which have lead to a dead-end in their fight to get out of their contracts, and their efforts to keep that printing company "honest".

I possess an Honorary Masters Degree from TSHK (The School of Hard Knocks). In addition, I have at least thirty-three years of corporate and retail experience. One would think that this writer would have enough smarts not to get snared in PublishAmerica's web of lies and deceit.

Mark Twain said it best: "You learn all your life and still die ignorant."

I see no evidence of any Poster attacking you. However, I do see evidence that you jumped into a conversation with out first doing the research, which would had given credibility to your contribution on the subject matter which is on the table.

If you have been published by a mainstream book publishing company, then it would benefit everyone if you could share your experiences, and educate everyone on how you made that happen. Write what you know and have experienced.

Argile Stox

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ported from NEPAT.

Liz James:

Aconite said:
Liz, if you'd bothered to read anything on this site--even the backthread here--you'd see that no one is advocating a "one size fits all" way of publication. But you're not interested in finding out what's really being said here; you're interested in making smarmy insinuations and promoting your own agenda while accusing others.
Do I detect just a touch of paranoia here? What IS "my" agenda, pray tell? ;-)