Not open for further replies.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Call me Mr. 369.

Got the rejection at 2 this afternoon. After waiting this long I had hoped for at least a small note written about likes and dislikes but they just sent the standardized "thanks, but" letter. Still, I won't let it blow Christmas. Still have a few days to submit the new and improved version, then start hunting for another publisher after rejection #2.

Merry Christmas everybody!

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I'm sure it only seems tense and bleak because your family is around. You're projecting your misery on the postman. That isn't fair. Just because they always seem to be wearing those hideous little shorts that show way too much leg is no reason to project your pent up malaise upon them.

Instead, just get hammered. That will make you feel better. Then, when it makes you feel worse, you'll be too hung over to care about what anyone thinks about your manuscript.

:Cheers: :Jump: :Ssh: :faint:

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
badducky said:
I'm sure it only seems tense and bleak because your family is around. You're projecting your misery on the postman. That isn't fair. Just because they always seem to be wearing those hideous little shorts that show way too much leg is no reason to project your pent up malaise upon them.

Instead, just get hammered. That will make you feel better. Then, when it makes you feel worse, you'll be too hung over to care about what anyone thinks about your manuscript.

:Cheers: :Jump: :Ssh: :faint:

Postmen still wear those funky shorts? Not around here they don't, they wear normal civies like you and me, blending in seamlessly with society. No, I'm not projecting (and I'm not in denile, really).

Getting hammered would be great if I could manage to stay awake through the first round. I'm as resistant to alcohol as Bill Clinton to McRibs! I'll just sit in front of the TV and drain my brain with excessive Cartoon Network specials, like the Kids Next Door christmas featuring X-Men elves. Picture Wolverine with candy canes for claws!

Best of luck to the rest of you. I'll try Jax's advice and pump out a re-submission by Tuesday.

Captain_Campion

Registered
Reaction score
Don't let it get you too bummed, Pike.

One of my entries got rejected weeks ago (and they've now got a newer version). But they aren't the only ones. Don't put all your eggs in the Wizards basket.

Personally, I'm approaching the whole wanna-be-published thing like a good pool player: I'm always trying to think two shots ahead. That way I don't get so focused on any one particular submission so if the rejection comes, it's not an end-of-the-world last-chance type of feeling.

I suggest you just starting thinking about 1)changes you want to make and 2)the next target for submission.

Good luck.

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Now, I was aware of George H. W. Bush's aversion to broccoli, but I was not acutely cognizant of Bill Clinton's attitude towards McRibs. How did I miss this soundbyte?

Condolences to the newly fallen. Pick thyself up and return to battle in your repaired and improved armor! Sally forth, brave knight of the pen!

Pencilone

Muse Lover
Registered
Reaction score
Pike, I'm sorry to hear you've got one of the nasty letters so close to Christmas. I wish you to put it behind and focus on your next plans. And just like someone else already said, do submit to other publishers too. I blame only myself for submitting this year only to WOTC when i could have tried other publishers too.

My improved and changed version is not going to be shipped to the new Open Call of WOTC, just because it's not ready yet and there is no more time to ship it decently from the UK (I hate the last minute madness). So, I'm going to take my time and I'm going to target some carefully selected agents (probably about Februrary or March in the new year).

I'll let you guys know when I get my letter.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to Everyone!:PartySmil

Pencilone

Last edited:

Uncletrunx

Limited by talent
Registered
Reaction score
Captain_Campion said:
Don't let it get you too bummed, Pike.

One of my entries got rejected weeks ago (and they've now got a newer version). But they aren't the only ones. Don't put all your eggs in the Wizards basket.

Personally, I'm approaching the whole wanna-be-published thing like a good pool player: I'm always trying to think two shots ahead. That way I don't get so focused on any one particular submission so if the rejection comes, it's not an end-of-the-world last-chance type of feeling.

I suggest you just starting thinking about 1)changes you want to make and 2)the next target for submission.

Good luck.
I'm treating it like a pool player in the local pub. It'd be nice to win,but when I lose, I'll just have another pint and go home to watch "Match of the day."

No news here, but I'm in the UK so I expect to hear in about March.

A happy insert appropriate festival here to you all.
Here's hoping we all meet in the famous writer's club* this time next year.

I'm off for more leftover turkey sandwiches. See you in the New Year.

*The one where they all hang out and compare book deals, signing sessions and how rubbish fanfic is.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for all the encouraging words! I was a little mystified but to be perfectly honest, I slammed my proposal together during the first three weeks of February. I was shocked that it lasted as long as it did. I'm going to skip re-submitting because at this late date, it feels rather desperate. I researched several other publishers looking for work in my genre and printed enough 3 chapter chunks to keep them busy.

Best of luck to those still in the running and congrats to all who have recently succeeded! Here's to writer's cramp (from new pieces to the royalty checks that will certainly come). Happy holidays.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Well my friends, No. 325 is spoken for. Got my form rejection today. Alas!

Best of luck to all those still entered!

Myrddin

Crawling toward the light
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saetter.com
Sorry to hear that, DJ. With all your help, I was really hoping you'd get a call back...

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Thanks, Myrddin. I'm still rooting for AW-entrants!

As for me, I have hope for my poor li'l contemporary fantasy. I'll pick it up again in a while; right now I'm bogged down with a paranormal romance series. So it's really all for the best; this way I can concentrate on one series for a while, then dial back to the contemporary fantasy later. :)

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Another number located

I have here in my possession Rejection Letter #166! (Is that Bingo?)

To tell y'all the truth, I would have been very surprised to get a request for full. This was the first time I'd ever put together a synopsis-and-outline, and I have no illusions about its quality, especially considering I put it together in a hurry for a deadline. (That said, I did think my three-chapter excerpt was irresistable!)

I'm going to keep working on the rewrite through the end of the year at least, though. Then in January I'll work primarily on another rewrite, probably one of my YA novel drafts, in accordance with the Great Plan of NaNoPubYe 2006. W00t!

Best of luck to all those remaining in the running!

Last edited:

Uncletrunx

Limited by talent
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, Jax, I thought you'd get a call back for sure. I had a virtual fiver riding on you!

Sorry to hear about yours too, Nicole. I think my synopsis was a bit cack too, so let's see what el postie brings in the next day / week / month or two. Today, he brought nowt.

I'm still in, albeit 'cos of slow post.

Gogonith

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it DragonJax & Nicole. You've both had great input on the Board. Please keep checking in.

Paranormal romance? I'm interested! (but, please, don't take inspiration from that sappy movie, _Ghost_)

Best wishes.

Pencilone

Muse Lover
Registered
Reaction score
Jackie and Nicole,

Sorry to hear the bad news:mad: .

Jackie, just as you said, now you can really focus on those magic books that I hardly wait to buy in the bookshops and read (so, hurry up writing! what are you waiting for?:) :Clap: ).

Nicole, that plan of yours sounds great and I think I'll follow it too...

Best Wishes,
Pencilone

Myrddin

Crawling toward the light
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saetter.com
#147 here. No date, no signature, no personalized note. Just the form.

It's weird, but I'm just glad the wait is over. And I feel like I have the time to make some revisions....

Good luck to those still waiting. Today seems to be the day, in the States at least.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Hey, Nicole and Myrddin, who's bringing the onion dip to the Offically Done with WotC 2004 Party? Me, I've got dibs on the Smirnoff Triple Ice... :PartySmil

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Onion dip my left foot--I'm bringing egg nog! I have this luvverly recipe from a friend of mine; it involves pretty much everything in the dairy aisle including ice cream. And of course bourbon and rum. I'm tellin' ya, this is some damn fine stuff.

Uncletrunx

Limited by talent
Registered
Reaction score
Myrddin said:
#147 here. No date, no signature, no personalized note. Just the form.

It's weird, but I'm just glad the wait is over. And I feel like I have the time to make some revisions....

Good luck to those still waiting. Today seems to be the day, in the States at least.
Good luck with the revisions. One day, you'll be able to say "This best seller was knocked back by WOTC: shows what they know!"

When I join the party, I'll bring pasta salad, party poppers and Hobgoblin ale. No news yet though.

*Watches tumbleweeds*

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Received my rejection today too, but I have to say I'm awfully relieved. I was touching my novel up this weekend and realized, "Wow, this thing sucks..."

It's for the best! Good luck to everyone that submits for next year. :)

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Heart felt sorries to the newly rejectees. I don't feel so lonely anymore but at least I'm in good company.

I'm glad to hear that most of you have no plans of taking this in stride. Remember, Stephen King had a stack of rejections about a foot or more thick, pierced by a giant spike before he finally sold Carrie. We've got a long ways to go (except for Jax and Ducky, lucky birds) so keep hammering at your keyboards and sipping on the heavily spiked nog!

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Hey Pike, I wrote the first draft of the novel rejected by Wizards more than 16 years ago. Really. The version I submitted to Wizards in February 2005 was, granted, vastly improved than what I wrote back in the dark ages (I rewrote the thing about 13 times). But it still needs a lot of help (er, obviously--otherwise it probably wouldn't have been rejected).

And Pencilone, you're a sweetie. I actually have the very, very very rough outline of the next paranormal romance novel, so there's (gasp) a book there. Somewhere.

Irysangel, did your envelope have a number? (I should make an "I Was Rejected By Wizards" Slam Book...heh)

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I feel a little guilty saying that I dodged the bullet on 12/27. There's always tomorrow, though, so I'll be approaching the mailbox with trepidation.

All you guys that got rejections - I know that your day(s) will come, sooner than later!

Status
Not open for further replies.