NEPAT Overflow

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Spike, it's merely one of the tools they use to convince their writers whose desperation rarely needs more than a slight push that they need to purchase their own books in order to get their books into retail stores. They've already perpetuated the lies about how other big names started off by self and vanity publishing their books out of their cars, so that ought to be good enough for them, too, with the implication that it's not good writing that sells, but good salesmanship. Good writing to them is the myth.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
spike said:
...I don't understand why PA doesn't cooperate with the libraries. I keep hearing about this, but I don't understand what the big deal is. Does PA just enjoy screwing their authors?
Because there is time and cost involved in the cataloging step (Cataloging in Publication -- see http://cip.loc.gov/). Real publishers, whose market is the trade (bookstores, libraries, readers) do those sorts of things as a matter of course. Those whose business plan is simply to sell in bulk to the authors can save the time, effort, and expense.

--Ken

tab

Dipsomaniac on the floor!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.apocalypsecow.org
I had to post a comment to this silly, arrogant, human being - http://agentsoutlook.blogspot.com/. Since he may not publish it, I will repost it here.

"Can you get your meth-addled head around the simple fact that you are not god's gift to writers? Ah, life seems so simple and resplendent now - the publishing parties, the midnight coke fests, the hazy, drunken weekends at your pappy's house in the Hamptons where you, no doubt, wax poetic about those dumb-**** hicks from Alabama who keep sending you manuscripts that are not about how great life is being a New Yawker. Are you pretentious? Definitely. Arrogant? Of course. But, you have every right to be as you are, perhaps, the greatest living agent ever. You’re a hot, young man about town with the power and ruthlessness to shoot down every bum-****, dork, and fly over stater there ever was. What? Your novel isn’t about being young, anguished, and addicted to women and house paint while living in SOHO and writing poems about dog hair? You wrote an epic about your grandfather’s illegal flight from Central Mexico into Arizona? Who wants to read that? That will not resonate with the rich, hip, liberals that I associate with. Sorry, learn your craft!"

I know its a bit presumptuous, but the person is annoying and pretentious. I hate pretention in anyone, even great, god-like agents.

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
In reading about Obnoxious Agent Blogger in NEPAT and the posted replies to his arrogance, I was moved to wonder how come you can't say (type) **** but you can say (type) dipshit?

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
The filter looks for whole words.

I once was a member of an Iron Maiden board where they turned the filter on without it looking for whole words, and it caused all sorts of problems. The singer of the band is named Bruce Dickinson. The filter changed his name to Bruce Peepeeinson.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
When I set the profanity filters, I set it to be exact-- so one would have to type shi* to have it filtered out, but apparently it doesn't get filtered if it's part of a word instead of the whole word, which makes me glad, because I never thought I'd see the day where Uncle Jim would use the word "dipshit." I'm glad I didn't miss it. :D

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
XThe NavigatorX said:
The filter looks for whole words.

I once was a member of an Iron Maiden board where they turned the filter on without it looking for whole words, and it caused all sorts of problems. The singer of the band is named Bruce Dickinson. The filter changed his name to Bruce Peepeeinson.

Right! That sort of thing happened here before I made it exact. I forget the examples, but someone got very upset because he thought I was banning the use of some political figure's name. ;)

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
JennaGlatzer said:
When I set the profanity filters, I set it to be exact-- so one would have to type shi* to have it filtered out, but apparently it doesn't get filtered if it's part of a word instead of the whole word, which makes me glad, because I never thought I'd see the day where Uncle Jim would use the word "dipshit." I'm glad I didn't miss it. :D
It doesn't take too many years of fighting scams before you start using strong language and exhibit an aggressive attitude when confronting them or their supporters.

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
When I set the profanity filters, I set it to be exact
Ah, that makes sense. I wasn't offended or anything. **** is a word I use more frequently than I should myself. I fixate on and wonder about irrelevant things sometimes.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
JennaGlatzer said:

Shit, no point worrying too much. Profanity filters are usually pretty easy to get around if you know what you're doing.

(And yes, Jenna, feel free to delete ;-))

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see, does it still block script and applet? I think a guy's name was Appleton, or something, and when it posted as ******on, the poster freaked.

Nope, we're good. :D

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Cao, that was at ezboard. qatz (Eric) tried to post Robert Mapplethorpe's name, and ezboard's filter wouldn't allow the "applet" part.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
reph said:
Cao, that was at ezboard. qatz (Eric) tried to post Robert Mapplethorpe's name, and ezboard's filter wouldn't allow the "applet" part.
Yet another reason to dis ezBoard. :tongue

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Could someone put some kind of warning up about nostrilized beverages before they use the words Peepee Cheney and John Hanpeepee?? Please?

ow *snork* ow

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Richard said:
Shit, no point worrying too much. Profanity filters are usually pretty easy to get around if you know what you're doing.

(And yes, Jenna, feel free to delete ;-))

I used to keep a unicode chart by my computer for exactly that purpose. Fun times.

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
ResearchGuy said:
FYI FWIW, the PA cancer book is now down to just the one 1-star review on Amazon, which shows 4-6 weeks for delivery (which I interpret to mean "never").

--Ken

Yippee!

I know I took this whole issue personally, but I was personally offended.

I was also disappointed with Amazon. Maybe I was expecting too much too soon. I'm a little happier with them now.

And Cancer boy has stopped emailing me (I gave him my throw-away email address). Maybe he has learned his lesson.

Probably not.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
spike said:
And Cancer boy has stopped emailing me (I gave him my throw-away email address). Maybe he has learned his lesson.
Or maybe he's impersonating you and the spam will clog your inbox in a week.

Hope not.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Prevent Cancer Today has arrived. It is in standard, grammatical English. Not a sign of weird caps anywhere.

So I Google this from page 23, 3rd paragraph:

Let’s use a car analogy. Bear in mind that you only get one body, but you can always buy a new car. Try and think of your body as a well-oiled machine, with thousands of interlocking parts, gears, and spokes, if you will, that all support each other and work together to seamlessly sustain life on a daily basis.

Please check this post:
http://www.vitamins-nutrition.org/vitamins/body-produce-vitamins.html

Anything look familiar? Dr. George Obikoya, author of the article, is not cited anywhere in the book, btw.