Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
OpheliaRevived
Real Men Have Gills

OpheliaRevived is a shiny, shiny jewelOpheliaRevived is a shiny, shiny jewel
POV for YA Novels

Are agents inclined to pass on a book based on POV for this market? Do they prefer to see a certain POV?

I'm going to start on a YA work, but I want to be sure that I have an appropriate voice for it. I'm leaning towards 3rd person limited, but my 14 year old stepdaughter has told me that she much prefers the intimacy of a 1st person book. (I've only ever written in 1st person, but I imagine it may make it easier for me to get through the writing process with 3PL.)

Opinions on this?

*Will flatter/beta for Rep Points*
OpheliaRevived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Danthia

As long as it's a great story with a compelling character, POV doesn't matter. (Though second person will usually get you rejected as almost everyone dislikes that). Use whatever will best tell your story.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
ceenindee
practical experience, FTW

ceenindee is well-respected
I see 3PL and 1P in more or less equal amounts in YA, and I'd think you'd be fine with either. I'd go with whichever works better for the story. If you're comfortable with 1P, go for it!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
adktd2bks
addicted to books

adktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolness
I've been seeing more 1P in what I've been reading lately, but as others say, go for what you're most comfortable with and what fits the story best.

adktd2bks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
Niki_G
Here I Am!

Niki_G is on a distinguished road
I'm struggling with POV right now myself. I'm trying on 3PL and 1P. Have you played around with both? And I agree--go with whichever feels like the best fit for your novel.

Contemp. Romance:
Love Out of Order, Genesis Press, February 2010
The Davis Years, Genesis Press, February 2011
Holding Her Breath, Genesis Press, July 2011

YA:
P.O.P.U.L.A.R. - NaNo 2010 winner (revising)
Kiss Virgin (resting with one foot in the drawer)
What It's Like- For Camp NaNo April 2013
Niki_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
The Kidd
Not an actual kid...or goat.

The Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputation
1P is very popular right now, but their are a few popular 3P YA novels such as The Wicked Lovely series by our very own Melissa Marr and the later Harry Potter books. Infact, i'm reading Tender Morsels at the moment which is in 3P and I have to say I enjoy it a lot more than the last three books I read which were all in 1P, and on the bestseller list.

If you feel your story needs to be told in 3P then do it. I don't think it would get an instant rejection just based on the 1P trend.

WIP:
Miraculous Mr. D: MG Fantasy>: 36k/45k

(Untitled Kelpie story) Paranormal Romance>: 3.5k/50k

The Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:58 AM   #7
vfury
Hearts the furrily challenged.

vfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wrote the first draft of my current ms in 1st person, and then rewrote it into 3rd person limited as some of the narrative didn't jive with 1st person. I think the 3rd person works much better, as it gives intimacy and distance at the same time, and my readers agreed.

That said, if an agent suggested reasons to rewrite it back into 1st person, I would definitely listen and give it some thought.

YA dysfunctional werewolves: 83k, back in the game
YA clockpunk Alice: revising
vfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:48 AM   #8
Blind Writer
YA/MG Author

Blind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputation
As far as I can tell, agents don't have a preference.

I, personally, prefer first person, but some of my FAVORITE books are in third person. I can't really imagine Harry Potter in first person. Third worked. Just as I can't see a Sarah Dessen novel in third person. Its all up to you and your voice. An agent just wants it to be well written.

The Swift Boys & Me (MG, Scholastic Press, May 2014)
A Midsummer's Nightmare (YA, Little Brown/Poppy. June 2012)
Shut Out (YA, Little Brown/Poppy. Sept. 2011)
The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend (YA, Little Brown/Poppy. Sept. 2010)
Blind Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
Shady Lane
my name is hannah

Shady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
First person is more popular but by no means your only option.

I always do first person present, just 'cause I'm stuck in my ways like that, I guess. I much prefer to read 1st present, too. But some people freak the fuck out over present tense (still) so yeah, it's a matter of personal preference and there are quite a few valid options.

INVINCIBLE SUMMER--Simon Pulse, 2011 BUY IT
GONE, GONE, GONE--Coming APRIL 17th, 2012, Simon Pulse BUY IT
TEETH--Coming JANUARY 1ST, 2013, Simon Pulse
--
MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS:
ZOMBIE TAG--Coming DECEMBER 20th, 2011, Roaring Brook Press BUY IT

MARCO IMPOSSIBLE--Coming MARCH 2013, Roaring Brook Press

Shady Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:45 AM   #10
jezzell19

jezzell19 is on a distinguished road
I agree that 1P seems to be the rage at the moment, but I truly believe that each story will have a comfort zone/tone that lends it to a certain pov.

Does your main protag have a strong voice that you want to give shape to the story? 1P might be a good choice. On the other hand, if your story has a host of characters with lots to say it might be good to go 3P.

Someone brought up Harry P, and that's an excellent case for using 3P (when you've got many characters that have emotions/feelings you wish to convey to the reader). The Percy Jackson books have a strong 1P tone, and as such I don't know that we ever get overly intimate with secondary characters (ask 100 HP fans, and each might give you a dif. favorite character). However, Percy is such a strong character that it doesn't take away from the story, and in fact strengthens the bond between the reader and Percy (I think).

In the end, it's author's choice, so have fun.
jezzell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #11
legendary bum
needs to change her sheets

legendary bum is well-respected
See, I totally failed at making this decision... so I just went with both :]

The things they are doing and saying--sometimes they make no sense. Did their brains fall out of their heads? And why so much saying, so much talking all the time day and night, all those words spilling out of those mouths? Why so much? Why don't they be quiet?"

-- Sharon Creech, The Unfinished Angel
legendary bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
jezzell19

jezzell19 is on a distinguished road
@ l_bum: ha!
jezzell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
Poetoffire
Professional Cynic

Poetoffire has a spectacular auraPoetoffire has a spectacular aura
I always worked in third person past, but for my newest novel, I decided to experiment in first present because the heroine's voice and style of the novel demanded it, and first present came easy for me. I couldn't imagine the book in third, since most of the humor and quirkyness comes from my protag's voice and reactions to the situations around her, although there is a very fun supporting cast.
Poetoffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #14
NiallMcF
work in progress

NiallMcF is on a distinguished road
Talking

I wrote the first draft of my book in 3rd person, but it hasn't worked. I'm not sure why exactly, I think I'm too distant from the characters. I'm like a fly on the wall explaining what's going on, but finding it difficult to get into the character's heads that way.

I'm trying 1st person with a number of characters in the story. It's working much better, but I'm not sure if many books have 1st person from more than one character's perspective in the one story...
NiallMcF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #15
ceenindee

ceenindee is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiallMcF View Post
I wrote the first draft of my book in 3rd person, but it hasn't worked. I'm not sure why exactly, I think I'm too distant from the characters. I'm like a fly on the wall explaining what's going on, but finding it difficult to get into the character's heads that way.

I'm trying 1st person with a number of characters in the story. It's working much better, but I'm not sure if many books have 1st person from more than one character's perspective in the one story...
I've seen it often enough that I think you'd be okay. Some well known YA examples I can think of include Jodi Piccoult's My Sister's Keeper (and some of her other books too, but that's the one I've read), Scott Westerfeld's Midnighters and The Last Days, Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, and Stephenie Meyer's Breaking Dawn.

At least, I hope it's okay because I'm trying that myself...
Old 03-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #16
eyeblink
I blink

eyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte820 View Post
I've seen it often enough that I think you'd be okay. Some well known YA examples I can think of include Jodi Piccoult's My Sister's Keeper (and some of her other books too, but that's the one I've read), Scott Westerfeld's Midnighters and The Last Days, Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, and Stephenie Meyer's Breaking Dawn.

At least, I hope it's okay because I'm trying that myself...
So am I!

A couple of recent examples are Jenny Valentine's The Ant Colony and Patrick Ness's The Ask and the Answer, which both have two first-person narrators.

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (contemporary 14+ YA novel) - 75,254 words complete draft.

Conor and Me (working title, 14+ YA) 28,258 words and counting

"Mourning Becomes Me" (novella) 32,365 words. With betas.
eyeblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:29 AM   #17
Shady Lane
my name is hannah

Shady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tonnnns of books do alternating 1st person:

Will Grayson, Will Grayson,
Love is The Higher Law
Smack
Doing It
Crunch Time
M or F?
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

to name a few...

INVINCIBLE SUMMER--Simon Pulse, 2011 BUY IT
GONE, GONE, GONE--Coming APRIL 17th, 2012, Simon Pulse BUY IT
TEETH--Coming JANUARY 1ST, 2013, Simon Pulse