Schadenfreude [The Cooks Source Debacle Peanut Gallery]

Reaction score
One of my Twitter contacts retweeted a link to this with "RT because they asked us not to." So...I RT'd it as well.

Please, feel free to go to my Twitter page and join in. This link needs to be spread. :D

shyne

At your service
Registered
Reaction score
lol @

In Soviet Russia, sources cook you!

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have sympathy for the writer, but overall, I'm feeling a little inspired by all of the comments left. Clearly, John Q. Public isn't down with copyright infringement.

I can't believe how petty that editor's response was.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Update from Reddit: They are looking at the magazine, most (if not all) of the content is stolen. One article was stolen from Martha Stewart Magazine.

Plus, other good news. One of the Reddit's people is an owner of a bar and restaurants. He knows as many as 10 or more other owners and will be telling them not to distribute their magazine in their places of business any more.

Plus, they have names and addresses of people who have paid for advertising.

I think Cook's Source ain't got Hell's chance in a ball of snow.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I blogged about this today and have had more hits on the article than I got the time Ian Rankin tweeted a link to my blog. Over 500 hits in the last 20 minutes, and more coming in every second.

Meanwhile, Neil Gaiman thinks Judith Griggs might have done this before (read the comments below the picture); and it's being discussed in BR&BC too.

Yay for hits!

Yes, I think Cook's Source has stolen from everywhere. I've never heard of the magazine until now. It made me wonder if it was some no name online magazine that was just as spam location. You know. One of those places that looks spammy from 10 miles away.

I was surprised to hear it even had advertisers. I wouldn't be surprised if they asked for their money back or something.

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
The editor's reply made my mouth fall open so fast I nearly dislocated my jaw.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
The Cajun says it sounds like a complete Type A ad sales person. If she worked previously for magazines for anything, she was probably in ad sales.

He says lots of ad sales people have sometimes no concept of copyright. He dealt with that during making commercials. People would ask for certain logos to be in their commercials, and the sales people would promise it would be there and would tell him to put it in the ads.

He thinks more than likely he was an ad sales rep who struck out on her own, thinking she could do the same thing and probably hasn't stepped foot as an editor for anyone. She made the sales, threw together a magazines, and kept doing it as long as people were paying her. She'd make a good profit considering she wasn't paying writers at all, and hardly any overhead.

This is opinion only, not fact. Just open speculation. Probably shouldn't mention but it's a good point.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Web retribution is awesome and terrifying to behold. It's like a force of nature. Do not the internet, it is the god that walks on many tweets.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This woman... yeah, I bet she wished she stayed in bed this morning.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
It amazes me that anyone who calls themself an 'editor' would be stupid enough to believe (much less SAY) that anything on the internet is public domain. That reminds me of a certain Twilighting spud wacko that made similar claims when she was trying to sell her fan fic rip off as a real book.

Amazing stupidity. And once SBTB gets a hold of it, well, you're pretty much done.

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
The Cajun says it sounds like a complete Type A ad sales person. If she worked previously for magazines for anything, she was probably in ad sales.

He says lots of ad sales people have sometimes no concept of copyright. He dealt with that during making commercials. People would ask for certain logos to be in their commercials, and the sales people would promise it would be there and would tell him to put it in the ads.

He thinks more than likely he was an ad sales rep who struck out on her own, thinking she could do the same thing and probably hasn't stepped foot as an editor for anyone. She made the sales, threw together a magazines, and kept doing it as long as people were paying her. She'd make a good profit considering she wasn't paying writers at all, and hardly any overhead.

This is opinion only, not fact. Just open speculation. Probably shouldn't mention but it's a good point.

This sounds entirely plausible to me. It was apparently a little freebie mag and I would not be surprised in the slightest if there was in fact no writing staff, just a bunch of ripped-off material to pad out pages to sell advertising for.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu