Diagramming sentences is fun.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Our forum needs sentence diagramming tools for Reed-Kellogg.
That is all.

Deleted member 42

No, no, it doesn't. Go find a nice sentence in Henry James and diagram that.

We'll wait.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Searching through one of his texts, I find:

Experience is never limited, and it is never complete; it is an immense sensibility, a kind of huge spider-web of the finest silken threads suspended in the chamber of consciousness, and catching every air-borne particle in its tissue.

Eek. Long, snaking prepositional phrases. Not really sure what to do when two complete sentences are hooked together like that. I'm only a beginner.

Deleted member 42

Go on. It's good for you. Bring in a couple to class. Your teacher will be ecstatic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 42

Did I mention that once I'd finished with my quals I put all the books and articles I had by or about the works of Samuel Richardson, D. H. Lawrence, and Henry James in storage?

I hope I never, ever, see them again.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Searching through one of his texts, I find:

Eek. Long, snaking prepositional phrases. Not really sure what to do when two complete sentences are hooked together like that. I'm only a beginner.

Just read it and admire it.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go find a nice sentence in Henry James and diagram that.
That's doubly mean.

First he's have to read a sentence by Henry James, and then he'd have to diagram it.

One of these days, just to prove I can do it, I'm going to finish a book by Henry James. Then I'm going to hit myself over the head for a couple of days to forget I did.

AVbd

Sasha Boyd
Registered
Reaction score
One of these days, just to prove I can do it, I'm going to finish a book by Henry James. Then I'm going to hit myself over the head for a couple of days to forget I did.
Then you'd have to finish a book by Henry James, just to prove you can do it. :drool

Also, lol.

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Jonathan Swift had some sentences that were much, much better.

Deleted member 42

I worked on a mainframe program designed to diagram sentences, back in the days of punch cards.

We got a prototype working OK and then I keyed cards for some Henry James.

We killed the print spool queue because the diagram wouldn't fit on the plotter printer.

It was very much not good, and I had comps sci students mocking me for months.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
One might not believe semantics is important in dissecting syntax. An old joke (ISTR it's been attributed to Groucho Marx) clears that up:

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Deleted member 42

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Is a legitimate sentence in English. It goes back to a linguist joke on the Linguist Listserve in c. 1992, by Dr. William J. Rapaport.

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my required classes - finished it in late '09 - was a senior-level, English-grammar course. I haven't looked at a sentence diagram since and hope that I won't have to look at those awful things here.

Deleted member 42

I don't, honestly, see any reason for most people to have to learn diagramming.

That said, I have sometimes put up a diagrammed sentence, or diagrammed one, because some students learn visually in startlingly effective ways when just parsing the sentence won't help them nearly as much.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't, honestly, see any reason for most people to have to learn diagramming.

I've said the same many times. Exceptions are those who teach grammar for another tool in their box. The occasional visual you mentioned is one of its uses.

The most fun diagramming I recall was in a methods and materials demonstration way back in teacher core classes. It employed cutouts of clothing to dress a stick figure:

Verbs, the necessary element in any sentence were a basic dress or pair of trousers. The second most necessary were nouns as shirts or blouses. The other parts of speech were items of clothing and accessories to dress out the sentence.

The class had everyone participating.

Deleted member 42

I've said the same many times. Exceptions are those who teach grammar for another tool in their box. The occasional visual you mentioned is one of its uses.

Diagramming is awfully useful in things like epigraphy--I took a seminar on Continental Celtic epigraphs where we would as a class try to figure out what the letter groups we were reading were, in terms of parts of speech--which would in turn give us clues about the language and ultimately, sometimes, the meaning.

It's quite fun to do group sentence diagramming in that context, as well as useful.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Once upon a time, I taught an eighth grade English class, and one of the things we did was diagram sentences.
The students loved it.
They were fascinated by the idea that all the pieces of the sentence were logically connected. They loved sentences that spread out over all three of the blackboards.
This was, of course, a long time ago. We still had blackboards.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Once upon a time, I taught an eighth grade English class, and one of the things we did was diagram sentences.
The students loved it.

Once upon a time, I took an eighth grade English class, and one of the things we did was diagram sentences.

The students detested it, but pretended to love it because we all liked the teacher.

Oh, and this was back in blackboard days, too.

Never in my lifetime since that class have I diagrammed a sentence. I now teach freshman-level English composition at my local university. The universal reaction I have from students when I ask if they've had to diagram sentences is X-rated. The instant some administrator insists that I diagram sentences is the instant my resignation letter hits that person's desk.

Diagramming sentences has as much utility for learning how to write as studying phrenology has for learning how people's brains work.

Last edited: