Atlanta Nights - The Movie!

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
Facebooked it and made a donation. I want to see this happen.

Terri

Thank you!

We just finished the first draft, and I'm compiling a spreadsheet of the Teas with contact info and location. I sense many road trips in my near future.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I will also contribute. I want to see this happen!!

RoyCBooth

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you (and everyone else, for that matter) for the assist, Nick. No, I wouldn't call it "giggling," per se, more like "chortling with an occassional guffaw." My adapting the book to script has been a real hoot and a holler and I am sure that whatever Rachael and I come up with in the months to come should prove to be interesting, to say the least.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you (and everyone else, for that matter) for the assist, Nick. No, I wouldn't call it "giggling," per se, more like "chortling with an occassional guffaw." My adapting the book to script has been a real hoot and a holler and I am sure that whatever Rachael and I come up with in the months to come should prove to be interesting, to say the least.

Oh, I have been reading your myspace stuff, but I do miss hanging in the groups and discussing current events... to put it mildly.

Good seeing you Roy and I am rooting for you and Rachael come up with is going to be very exciting.

If you need a beta, you know my address...

RoyCBooth

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. You read the book? My hat's off to you. If you figured out what the plot was ... could you tell me? I've always wondered.

Heh. I'd read the book about three years ago and read through it twice more while marking up my other copy of it with notes and such. (I do the same thing when I convert books/short stories into play scripts, btw.) Didn't really try to make it make too much sense since I tackled it chapter by chapter. (Saner that way, too.) Btw, the script offered as a Kickstarter reward is my original long first draft (cleaned up, of course), complete with certain notes and commentary.

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
I can't thank you guys enough!

Yep, we both read the book (I don't know about Roy, but I couldn't do it all in one sitting - which says amazing things about the effort involved).

This is so far the most complicated adaptation I've ever attempted. It'll be amazing.

RoyCBooth

Registered
Reaction score
I can't thank you guys enough!

Yep, we both read the book (I don't know about Roy, but I couldn't do it all in one sitting - which says amazing things about the effort involved).

***** Two sittings on my part the second time, about a half dozen on the third. First time can't really remember, except that my head hurt afterward.

This is so far the most complicated adaptation I've ever attempted. It'll be amazing.

***** Alas, not the most complicated for me. But, still...

RoyCBooth

Registered
Reaction score
Rachael and I will be at Marscon in Bloomington, MN March 4 - 6. GoH is Lois McMaster Bujold and we plan on filming a scene or three while we're there. I'm also moderating the "ATLANTA NIGHTS: The Hoax, the Book, the Movie!" panel as well.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully, you will be able to persuade some new writers that PA is not the messiah of publishing but the antichrist, or something similar.

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
Well, not the anti - Christ (that's a whole different discussion, and there's no such thing, at least as Hollywood as presented it).

But yeah, we're trying to inform new writers that there are scumbags who just want to take their money, and are willing to lie to them in order to get it.

Institutions like this exist in all creative fields, it's just that you only tend to hear about the 'Hollywood' ones (film) because people have more fantasies about the huge payoff in that field. You hear a lot less about shady vanity presses and vanity galleries. (I don't think that every vanity company is bad or evil, just some.)

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
Yay! I'm glad to see the page back up.

Actually, Nick - 'vanity' modeling and acting agencies are HUGE business, and operate similarly to shady vanity publishers.

People go in, the company tells them 'yes! We love you, you can absolutely be a model/actor/whatever - first you need to take these very specific and very expensive (and useless) acting and modeling classes. Only the ones that we do are acceptable. Then, you have to spend an exorbitant amount of money on terrible headshots from the photographer we recommend, and only the photographer we recommend.'

(Top head shot photogs can pull $1200 or more per session, but a brand new face doesn't need, and most likely can't even access, one of these. A basic or starting headshot photog runs between $250 - 500 a session. You can guess what end the slimeballs charge.)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
For those of you who were wondering: Here's what was on PA's original Authorsmarket page:

Let's look a little closer at those self-anointed "experts", the ones who call themselves author advocates, or watchdogs. You won't find too many of them, but they are usually loud. Their writing is typically characterized by the use of an overkill of adjectives, and by references to you being a victim of something. Their own book genre is almost always Science-Fiction or Fantasy.

That's why some of them are actually published writers. SciFi and Fantasy are among the easier genres, requiring no believable storylines, and no believable every-day characters. Not the sky is the limit, but outer space, and there everything goes. Ever since great writers such as Asimov and Tolkien pioneered the genre, copycats have stampeded through the open gates.

SciFi and Fantasy abounds with literary parasites and plagiarists. Some writers have built a name for themselves by writing spin-offs of hugely popular movies, such as Star Trek, after all the characters and story parameters had been handed to them on a silver plate by the story owners who licensed the merchandising rights to a publisher. It requires some talent, but not too much, to write such a book. And it definitely calls for modesty if, no surprise there, the book sells. The millions of Star Trek aficionados will read just anything as long as it says Star Trek on the cover.

There are some others who, particularly in the field of Fantasy, rewrite all but everything under the sun that has already been written before. They rummage through books on mythology, steal a character here, borrow a plot line there, throw in a wizzard from King Arthur, and literally loot all the mythologies ever written. They mix it, knead it, call the adventure a Journey or a Quest, and there's their work of Fantasy. And the funny thing is, it is widely accepted among fellow fantasy writers as the right thing to do. They call it a craft. Many make it to the mass market book sector, where Fantasy publishers need a new title every other week or so.

Does this mean there are no honest and original SciFi and Fantasy authors? On the contrary. There are many hardworking writers who do their best to come up with something original. Some make it to the published ranks, others seek acceptance in vain. But you never hear them thumping their chests. True-blooded original writers don't brag. They don't crown themselves.

Now what is wrong with the loudmouths, the ones who looted, leeched, or plagiarized their way to local stardom? What's wrong with them is that they claim a mantle of expertise about writing or being a writer in general that they don't possess. But what's even more wrong is that they love their elite status, of being published, too much. Once they start calling themselves author advocates, beware. Often they only advocate themselves and their status. They have found a spotlight, and the last thing they want is to share it with others.

And that, folks, is the Insult that Made a Man Out of Mac, one of the many incitements that led to Atlanta Nights.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
And I can betcha the author advocates here like Jim and Victoria get more than a buck advance!

ETA: I'm being snarky, but it's true.

Ever since great writers such as Asimov and Tolkien pioneered the genre, copycats have stampeded through the open gates.

Yeah, no one wrote SF before those guys. Jules Verne, Arthur Conan Doyle, H. G. Wells, Hugo Gernsback, H. P. Lovecraft, William Hope Hodgson, the list goes on.

Seriously, what they fair to acknowledge is that those "author advocates" are paying it forward because someone else helped them out at one time. It has nothing to do with money or bragging rights and everything to do with a sincere desire to help those coming along after them.

Last edited:

GameMasterNick

All of Life Is A Game
Registered
Reaction score
That is awesome!
I'm not in a position to donate right now, but I've passed this on to others who could.

Ahh, Travis Tea... good times.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Now what is wrong with the loudmouths, the ones who looted, leeched, or plagiarized their way to local stardom?
The Authorsmarket pages were crafted so that PA loyalists would recognize which specific watchdogs PA was slamming, even though their names weren't mentioned. The "plagiarist" is me.

Not long before Authorsmarket was put online, a rumor was floated on the PA message boards (by some pseudonymous person--gosh, wonder who?) that I'd plagiarized one of my books, borrowing it verbatim from a translated version of an obscure German novel. Passages from my book and (fake) passages from the "plagiarized" book were even cited side by side as proof of my chicanery.

Plenty of PA loyalists jumped on board, gleefully proclaiming that I had feet of clay, and now at last I was EXPOSED!! Of course the whole thing was false--the book I was supposed to have ripped off didn't even exist. This was back in maybe 2001 or 2002, and Writer Beware hadn't been around that long, so I felt compelled to defend myself, which of course I couldn't do on the PA boards, since they'd locked me out. Nowadays I wouldn't dignify something like this with a response--or else I'd mock it on my blog.

The whole thing died down eventually for lack of air. But I have the thread printed out and stored in my PA file. Something for my Atlanta Nights interview!

Oh, and I think I also have the thread where PA called Ann and me toothless whores with fake boobs (or something to that effect).

- Victoria

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Victoria...

Ahhh, if you need someone to verify your boobs are not fake... Well, you know where to reach me.