Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #126
Terie
Writer is as Writer does

Terie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blaze View Post
When I originally stated all my opinions, please note I was referring to all mainstream writers, not specifically picking on Stephen King.
I see. You weren't insulting only Stephen King. You were insulting pretty much all published writers.

You are forgetting the number one rule here at AW: respect your fellow writer.

Those grapes you're pretending you don't have? They're sour.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog
Terie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #127
Nick Blaze
Jun-Ikkyu

Nick Blaze has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terie View Post
I see. You weren't insulting only Stephen King. You were insulting pretty much all published writers.

You are forgetting the number one rule here at AW: respect your fellow writer.

Those grapes you're pretending you don't have? They're sour.
All published writers are mainstream now? Goodness!

EDIT: Also, please note that I respect everybody here, whether for their writing or not, and have no reason to state otherwise. This site has given me information I could not payback in fifty year's time. Unless you consider yourself "mainstream" and have gotten on the NY Times bestseller's list, I haven't even come close to insulting you. Nor have I ever accused anyone here of being talentless. For all I know, and I have given everyone he benefit of the doubt, that even if you are very popular, that you're the some of the few talented authors who have found their way into many people's hearts.

I have a deep respect for anybody who can spend every year improving their skills, clearing their mind, and getting rid of their egos. Just like the martial arts, I feel any art can accomplish this: writing, painting, sculpting, to trades like carpentry, masonry, metalwork and more. But writing just for the sake of being published does not fit into the same category as crafting a novel with skilled hands.

Last edited by Nick Blaze; 03-18-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Nick Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #128
gothicangel
Toughen up.

gothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiekswriter View Post
The fact of the matter is almost all self pubbed writers are still trying to get an agent. They're just not putting their dreams on hold of being published while waiting on odds that seem to be like hitting the lottery.
What self-pubbed authors fail to understand - is that unless you've sold tens of thousands - is that self-publishing works against you in the eyes of an agent. They have no interest in the self-published book as it has lost its first publication rights, and it is not a legit publishing credit.

Saying 'this is my first novel' looks a lot better on the submission, than I self-published X title which sold 500 copies.

"Imagination only comes when you privilege the subconscious" - Hilary Mantel
gothicangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #129
Terie
Writer is as Writer does

Terie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
All published writers are mainstream now? Goodness!
I would strongly suggest that you look up the words you throw around so blithely. For example, if you actually looked up what 'mainstream literature' means, you'd find out that it is generally accecpted to refer to commercial -- as opposed to literary -- literature.

So, when you said this:

Quote:
When I originally stated all my opinions, please note I was referring to all mainstream writers, not specifically picking on Stephen King.
you were insulting most of the writers here, because the majority of us are writing mainstream, commercial literature.

Own your words. You knew you were being offensive right from your first post in this thread when you said this:

Quote:
I'm going to post my opinions here, so be warned.
You are entitled to your opinions. Conversely, when you publically state opinions that insult other people and their work, the people being insulted are entitled to take umbrage.

Wisdom would suggest that publically stating opinions that are insulting of writers isn't the appropriate thing to do in a writers forum.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog
Terie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #130
Nick Blaze
Jun-Ikkyu

Nick Blaze has a spectacular aura
Quote:
I would strongly suggest that you look up the words you throw around so blithely. For example, if you actually looked up what 'mainstream literature' means, you'd find out that it is generally accecpted to refer to commercial -- as opposed to literary -- literature.
Yup, just looked up the definition of "mainstream" (also note, not all of the authors here write literature, so I will not look up "mainstream literature". Just the word itself will do: "the thoughts, beliefs, and choices that are accepted by the largest number of people ". So thus, the most popular, not all "commercial" fiction.

Quote:
So, when you said this:

you were insulting most of the writers here, because the majority of us are writing mainstream, commercial literature.
If you write only for the money and not for the sake up bettering yourself as a human being, then yes, you may be insulted. Otherwise, see above.

Quote:
Own your words. You knew you were being offensive right from your first post in this thread when you said this:

You are entitled to your opinions. Conversely, when you publically state opinions that insult other people and their work, the people being insulted are entitled to take umbrage.

Wisdom would suggest that publically stating opinions that are insulting of writers isn't the appropriate thing to do in a writers forum.
This is a forum and I knew I was going to be stating something in a manner that some people may think I was stating as a fact. Again, it's a free country and I can make objective statements about a person's writing abilities. I, myself, am not astounding, nor have I really pursued publication yet. But I have (as far as I know) never read an author's book that belongs to AW's posters. I believe that even if they are extremely popular, the ones who post here I will say have much talent, before I even read their works.

Wisdom would state nothing, but a wise person may state that "it's useless to try and educate those who do not wish to be educated" which may, or may not, refer to both parties present here. I did not intend to insult anyone here, and I have explained this many times.

I believe, from experience, that the more popular something is, often the less talented it is. I stated my opinion and people tried to say I was wrong. There are so many books that are just stories, nothing of any gain to me aside from a fanciful adventure. Whereas other authors, such as Gene Wolfe, Milton (as mentioned before), and Tolkien (a very popular writer, and an exception to my beliefs) can add something of benefit to a reader aside from just a story. That to me is a large portion of quality writing and quality books.

Last edited by Nick Blaze; 03-18-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Stupidity.
Nick Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #131
firedrake
practical experience, FTW

firedrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

I believe, from experience, that the more popular something is, often the less talented it is. I stated my opinion and people tried to say I was wrong. I could honestly name you 100 books off the top of my head that are just stories, nothing of any gain to me aside from a fanciful adventure. Whereas other authors, such as Gene Wolfe, Milton (as mentioned before), and Tolkien (a very popular writer, and an exception to my beliefs) can add something of benefit to a reader aside from just a story. That to me is a large portion of quality writing and quality books.
Feel free to post a list.

'Just stories'? Oddly enough that's why I write, to tell a story.

Bugger, I must be getting it all wrong.
firedrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #132
Snappy
A new year, a new avatar

Snappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I believe, from experience, that the more popular something is, often the less talented it is. I stated my opinion and people tried to say I was wrong. There are so many books that are just stories, nothing of any gain to me aside from a fanciful adventure. Whereas other authors, such as Gene Wolfe, Milton (as mentioned before), and Tolkien (a very popular writer, and an exception to my beliefs) can add something of benefit to a reader aside from just a story. That to me is a large portion of quality writing and quality books.
As an English major in language and literature with a BA, MA, and pursuing a PhD, I can't help but wonder how you are judging talent in writing. Does talent equal to technical skill such as grammar and spelling? Is it a matter of fleshing out characters? Is it an intriguing plot? Or is it a combination of all these things? If so, then several commercial fiction authors have the "formula" to be considered "talented".

I won't even begin to debate the academic canon of English works. To do so, would be to take this thread too far of course. However, I will say that I do not consider all "literary" works and not all "canonized" works to fall into the "talented" area. Of course, this is my opinion and highly subjective. And isn't that the point? Isn't judging for talent subjective?

To your last remark, what do you gain from fiction other than "fanciful stories"? If the author has taken you on an adventure, transported you to another time and place, made you feel along with their characters, isn't this the whole point of fiction?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #133
Calla Lily
On deadline for the next year or so
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its2Snappy View Post
To your last remark, what do you gain from fiction other than "fanciful stories"? If the author has taken you on an adventure, transported you to another time and place, made you feel along with their characters, isn't this the whole point of fiction?
It's why I write fiction.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #134
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just love the "present company excepted, of course" side of the argument.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #135
Jamiekswriter
The 1st Rule of Write Club: Write!

Jamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicangel View Post
What self-pubbed authors fail to understand - is that unless you've sold tens of thousands - is that self-publishing works against you in the eyes of an agent. They have no interest in the self-published book as it has lost its first publication rights, and it is not a legit publishing credit.

Saying 'this is my first novel' looks a lot better on the submission, than I self-published X title which sold 500 copies.
Agreed. If I only sold 500 copies of my self titled book, I wouldn't even mention it to the agent/publisher. I also wouldn't try to sell a self published book to an agent/publisher. The rights are gone; the ship has sailed.

If the "next book" gets picked up by an agent or publisher and gets favorable feedback from readers and the reader wants to purchase the self pubbed book, they can find it where I left it on Amazon/Smashwords/where ever. If the agent/publisher want a piece of that action (doubtful), then they can make me an offer (but I don't see that happening and I would never approach them to do so).

I agree being a "debut" author gives you an edge in the eyes of an agent, but if I only sold 500 copies of my self pubber, I pretty much *am* a debut author. No one's really heard of me anyway and with sales that low I wouldn't mention it unless an agent asked me about previously published works. And if it's that big of a deal breaker, I can write under a pen name/similar name and be a "debut author" again.

In fact, I just queried an agent (if you need me to I can look up who, but I can't be arsed to at the moment) and on her submissions she said that she's not interested in previously published novels *UNLESS* they've sold over 5,000 copies. I was totally blown away that she'd even consider it.
http://www.amazon.com/Longing-Infern...1063872&sr=1-1
Fever: Club Inferno book 3 -- Coming March 2015 from Loveswept
Shifting Currents by Lissa Trevor
Triad by Lissa Trevor -- Coming October 28, 2014 from LooseId
Jamiekswriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #136
Tromboli
Hopelessly Hopeful

Tromboli is a glorious beacon of lightTromboli is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post

That's the whole problem with this debate. Being a bestseller is a sign of a quality; at least one. Books have all sorts of qualities, all sorts of facets; they speak to different things in different people, are designed to perform different functions in different situations. They're more complicated than 'high' and 'low'.

I believe it's a profound error to talk about some books as if they are of lower quality than others, as if it were a purely linear metric, like a thermometer. To explain their popularity, we then have to say that the people who like them are of a lower quality than us. They don't have the critical faculties to discern the difference. .

This! I think this statement puts it perfectly and therefore I second it.

http://www.StaceyTrombley. com/

MiddleGradeMinded.blogspot.com
Tromboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #137
Aidan Watson-Morris
i write words

Aidan Watson-Morris is a shiny, shiny jewelAidan Watson-Morris is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadan View Post

Nobody has said that a bestseller is automatically of high quality. I mean, even Dan Brown's fans usually won't claim he's a great writer, just a highly entertaining one.

But conversely, Charles Dickens was a huge bestseller. Was he catering to the herd? Dumbing down what he wrote? Or was he just an outlier? Or do you think Dickens was not a good writer?
I'm fairly sure someone did say that, but I'm too lazy to look it up, so I'll concede that point.

I'VE SAID THIS OVER AND OVER AGAIN: I'm not saying all mainstream writing is being dumbed down. OTHER people are saying that. I'm just being associated with that statement because - I'm not sure why, really. What I was saying was just to contradict the person who earlier I thought implied all bestsellers were of high quality.

Can I leave now, please? I mean, I don't want to get associated with a side of the argument I'm not on.
Aidan Watson-Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #138
Amadan
Toaster

Amadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
If you write only for the money and not for the sake up bettering yourself as a human being, then yes, you may be insulted. Otherwise, see above.
Really? I write because I enjoy writing. And being paid for it would be nice. I don't think I've ever written anything with the express purpose of "bettering myself as a human being." (I try to do that in other ways.) So should I be insulted?

To use another analogy, since you're into martial arts, is the guy who studies martial arts because he wants to get some exercise and wouldn't mind knowing how to defend himself if the need arises a schlub who can never be as skilled or as worthy as the guy who studies martial arts because it's his personal path to spiritual enlightenment and a way of life? There's nothing wrong with the latter, but lots of "hobbyist" martial artists can kick the asses of some of the "spiritual warrior" martial artists if it came down to it.

There is nothing wrong with writing to be published. You keep ignoring counterexamples to your assertions. Dickens wrote for a living. He was a commercial writer. That didn't mean he wasn't also writing because he loved writing, because he had things to say, and because he was good at it. You seem to be saying that Dickens is a unicorn, a rare bird among all those other commercial writers who are just shitting words onto paper. I'm surprised that you really don't get why this is offensive.

And saying "Oh, well, that doesn't apply to all you AW writers" is kind of dumb and transparent. Really, no one here is a bad writer? Come on now. If you're going to make broad statements, it doesn't fool anyone to say "Well, I'm not talking about you." What if Stephen King were a member of this board? Would you then exempt him from your criticism?

(I'm not saying you do have to consider everyone here, or Stephen King, a great writer. But if you say "99% of all commercial writers write crap," it stretches credibility to say you're sure that everyone here at AW is in the 1%.)

Quote:
I believe, from experience, that the more popular something is, often the less talented it is. I stated my opinion and people tried to say I was wrong. There are so many books that are just stories, nothing of any gain to me aside from a fanciful adventure.
Well, two things:

1. You've been given many counterexamples. And I can point at lots of books that are neither popular nor good. In fact, most untalented writers don't become popular, because they are not talented. Sour grapes about Stephen King or Dan Brown or J.K. Rowling or Dan Patterson or Stephanie Meyer or whoever else you think is popular by lucky fluke or appealing to the unliterate masses is not a strong argument. If anything, anyone who sells in those numbers is by definition an outlier, regardless of their talent. I don't think you can extrapolate much of anything about the few writers who become millionaires.

2. You are treating it as objective fact that an "entertaining story" has nothing to do with writing ability. If you don't care about storytelling, that's your personal aesthetic taste. Some writers are great wordsmiths but lousy storytellers. According to you, that would make them great writers. According to me, that makes them boring. Your personal tastes do not define writing talent.
Amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:03 AM   #139
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Whereas other authors, such as Gene Wolfe, Milton (as mentioned before), and Tolkien (a very popular writer, and an exception to my beliefs) can add something of benefit to a reader aside from just a story.
Gene Wolfe is a strong seller, though not a bestseller. Milton was an enormous seller in his day. Your argument is unsupported.

Find me at
BookTweeting on Twitter
for a book review a day, every day!
JUST LAUNCHED:
EbookCheapskate,
where you'll find reviews of
free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:05 AM   #140
wonderactivist
practical experience, FTW

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
I work at a bookshop and I think it gives me a unique perspective. I hear all the time that "popular=dumbed down."I say that's not true and here's why:

~ Every book that is sold today had to compete with the video games and 3-D Blue Ray movies next door.
~ Every new book sold beat-out better-known classics like Hemingway and Capote.
~ Every book sold somehow stood out from the blast of reality shows, Twitter wars, and Facebook status chains that are constantly pummeling us for attention.

Every book sold has somehow touched a soul.

When someone buys a sapphire or Palahniuk (whose name I can never spell), they're finding something in that book that their soul needed. If they buy a Kenyon romance, they're also getting something their soul needed. Sorry to disappoint the Franzen fans, but Freedom isn't going to fill the same kind of soul-hole that a Nick Sparks can fill.

It's sort of like the Academy Awards never acknowledging the great comedies, but guess what? Laughter is the greatest soul food. That's why people like Evanovich and Tucker Max will out-sell people like Coehlo every time.

Writing is ultimately communication. If someone is getting their soul food from it, then who is anyone else to demean it.

Warm regards,

Lucie

PS: I originally popped in here to say that Stephen King said that about agents originally in a different time--when authors could still query publishers directly. I don't know if he's said it recently, but as one of the most popular authors in the world, I'm not sure he can relate to the needs of the unpublished masses.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:24 AM   #141
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Littlefield View Post
So not true on the bold part, and pretty much a generalized judgment. Have you read On Writing. He does care about the words he puts on paper.
He does care about his writing, and it shows. However, that's not what the post you are responding to said. It said that all he needed to do was scribble his name on something. Which is pretty much also true. He has said as much himself. I recall some comment he made about having reached the point where he could get his grocery lists published, as long as his name was on them.
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:28 AM   #142
Aidan Watson-Morris
i write words

Aidan Watson-Morris is a shiny, shiny jewelAidan Watson-Morris is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
He does care about his writing, and it shows. However, that's not what the post you are responding to said. It said that all he needed to do was scribble his name on something. Which is pretty much also true. He has said as much himself. I recall some comment he made about having reached the point where he could get his grocery lists published, as long as his name was on them.
I'm not a big fan of horror, so I haven't read much Stephen King. But if Stephen King did do something like that, I would totally buy it.
Aidan Watson-Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #143
rugcat
Lost in the Fog

rugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
The Beatles were of average talent, neither extraordinary or bad, and there were many other bands that hit the market before the Beatles that sounded very close. I am, though, a musician, and I am, too, a writer. That gives me the ability to judge others without selling as many albums/books.
I'm also a musician as well as a writer. To say that the Beatles were a band of "average talent" reinforces my belief that you equate technical virtuosity with talent and creative worth.

The Beatles were musicians of average technical ability. They were also creative geniuses. BB King is a guitar player of average technical proficiency. I can find a hundred players in the Bay Area that can play circles around him, technically speaking. Not a one of them comes close as far as talent goes.

You can watch American Idol and hear singers with tremendous command of power, pitch, vibrato, and all the other stuff. Very few of them are worth listening to.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:43 AM   #144
Becca C.
Recovering Canucks Fan

Location: Google says 1 hour, 8 minutes north of Vancouver, BC
Becca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugcat View Post
You can watch American Idol and hear singers with tremendous command of power, pitch, vibrato, and all the other stuff. Very few of them are worth listening to.
Amen! There's so much more to talent than technical proficiency. There has to be some soul to it, and that's whether it's writing, singing, guitar playing, dance... anything. You can be technically good at something but not have an ounce of talent because your soul isn't in it. In my opinion.

Now represented by Rebecca Podos of Rees Literary!
Becca C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:16 AM   #145
rosehips
Mr. Boo is watching you.

rosehips has a spectacular aura
So, um... for what it's worth, my question got answered like five pages ago. Thanks!

Carry on.

Twitter
Amazon
B&N

The City Darkens
rosehips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #146
quicklime
Bare snake-ed

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

then by all means, consider me insulted by this silly-ass argument.

I do a host of things to "better" myself, but hell yes, I write chasing dollars (knowing that my attention would probably be better spent elsewhere), and I most certainly do not do it so I can brag about my self-evolution.

As for King having nothing to say in terms of any deeper morals, that suggests you read with a blind eye or let your arrogance get in the way, or you simply haven't read much at all. It's one thing to dislike the guy, or think he is far too long-winded, but his books often speak volumes about the quiet, little things that hold people together and make them tick, especially in times of stress.

One of the first lines in Children of the Corn, nowhere near his best work, was a woman arguing with her husband and saying "yes, I know we're in XYZ, Nebraska, but where the fuck ARE we?" If you don't get anything about human interaction or the nature of that couple in that line simply because there are no elves or dragons, the fault isn't King's

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #147
quicklime
Bare snake-ed

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I have a deep respect for anybody who can spend every year improving their skills, clearing their mind, and getting rid of their egos. .

considering some of the dismissive stuff you've posted in this thread, nick, I find this line rich with irony

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #148
Sheryl Nantus
Holding out for a Superhero...

Location: Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
Sheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadan View Post
So if you were an intelligent marketing and art department wanting to attract intelligent readers for urban fantasy and science fiction, what sort of titles and covers would you issue?

Maybe some of these?

Or these?

Or these?

I'm not a big fan of the tramp-stamped hottie genre myself, but come on now, you're being sillier than Nick "Stephen King sucks because he's popular" Blaze.

Love those covers!
Sheryl Nantus is offline   Reply With Quote