What is a Kensington?

Royal Mercury

I think I am, therefore....
Registered
Reaction score
Here's how the word was used in a manuscript I'm editing. This night was a quiet night in Mazatlan in 1920. The MS is non-fiction and the source is from 1920, so I know it's not just an author's invention.

"Last night, I sat around with a bunch of worthless Americans who have been down here fifteen to twenty years with no visible means of support. They just pulled every body's reputation to pieces. It was just like a Kensington, except that only one talked at a time. "

Any historical experts know what he was talking about? I've scanned the web and it doesn't seem to help.

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Could it be a typo, i.e., at Kensington? Puma

Royal Mercury

Registered
Reaction score
I doubt it, the evening referred to was in Mazatlan, so I assume it's '20s slang for something.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Understand it was at Mazatlan - but was the author ever at Kensington? Reason I say this, the rest of that sentence sounds like he's referring to some event that had happened previously - and at that event everyone talked at once.

It was just like a Kensington, except that only one talked at a time. "

See how I'm reading it (with a typo a for at). Puma

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
There's no entry for 'Kensington' in my Cassell Dictionary of Slang; will check GDoS when I get a minute. I am inclined to believe Puma's theory.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
It seems that it was a real expression at the time.

go to: http://ngrams.googlelabs.com/

Type "a Kensington" (without the quotes)

It gives you a list of historical references - there is a peak around 1920. Zoom in on the section around 1920 and list them.

On the second page we find this reference:

"We have a kensington each week between meeting days started in alphabetic order, each sister taking her turn from A, on down the line."

and

We organized a "Kensington" the first of the year with 9 members and during the year added 40. At the close of tho year we held a bazaar, which netted us, after all expenses were paid, $250 ...

and a bit later

Mrs. Glen Mair is inspiring the Auxiliary members to greater service by holding a kensington each month, twelve being invited to attend each meeting ..

Let's try to get a better idea and search for the phrase 'a Kensington is' :

For mothers, patronesses, and friends, a Kensington is given..
&

"A Kensington is held at the home of a member... a very enjoyable evening was had and some thirty brothers and sisters were in attendance"

It seems that in these contexts 'a Kensington' involves a fund raiser ? At least it seems to be in the Union newsletters of the era...

Mac

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I tried looking it up as a definition and came up with "gore" or "artificial blood" - but also indicated it was British. Puma

Royal Mercury

Registered
Reaction score
It seems that in these contexts 'a Kensington' involves a fund raiser ? At least it seems to be in the Union newsletters of the era...

Mac

Thanks Mac H. As the English would say, that's brilliant. I never heard of the Ngram Viewer.

Seems like a Kensington also involves some kind of round robin conversation or adding members as you go.

It's funny how the usage of that word spiked exactly the year I mentioned. Must have been that year's Pet Rock.

Last edited:

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting...

I'd always assumed a Kensington was what you would call a 'shower' i.e. a group of people meeting for the same purpose but all encouraged to speak about that purpose.

I assumed it came about in the same way as 'Sloane Ranger' did. A certain type of person who came from Kensington originally.