Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #1
zanzjan
still on my first cup of tea
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

Because it's nice when we're all hanging out here, but even better when we're all hanging out on a TOC together. (-:

I figure people hear about interesting markets through word of mouth, footnotes on other writers' blogs, and the occasional hand-written note on blood-stained vellum slipped under the door on the night of a new moon, and it's good to have a way of sharing that info.

It also occurs to me that it might be handy for folks to know what everyone else writes, so I'll start and say I write mostly space-opera with the occasional fantasy/horror for some variety.

-Suzanne

"Shh. Listen to the sounds that surround you. Notice the pitches, the volume, the timbre, the many lines of counterpoint. As light taught Monet to paint, the earth may be teaching you music." -- Pete Seeger
zanzjan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Tienci
Lost in the Land of Giants

Tienci has a spectacular auraTienci has a spectacular aura
Heads up--next prompt/contest I'm considering:
Redstone Science Fiction: Identity Crisis Contest -due August 15th.

Nothing at all has come to mind for me for this one as yet though--not even sure I get what they want just yet lol.
I actually might end up skipping this one, but perhaps this post will help jumpstart someone else; in fact, I think I'll work on a "Writers of the Future" entry.

The other interesting (and pro-paying) contests/prompts I see all have September deadlines.

Last edited by Tienci; 07-16-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Tienci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
zanzjan
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tienci View Post
The other interesting (and pro-paying) contests/prompts I see all have September deadlines.
Feel free to share; some of us are very slow writers (-:

-Suzanne

"Shh. Listen to the sounds that surround you. Notice the pitches, the volume, the timbre, the many lines of counterpoint. As light taught Monet to paint, the earth may be teaching you music." -- Pete Seeger
Old 07-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Tienci

Here goes!

ReadingWriters Contest Cafe- Due 09/15 (flashfic @1k max, pays $100)

Enchanted Conversation: Little Red Riding Hood- Due 09/30 (2k max, 10c/wd)

On the Premises: Myths & Legends- Due 09/30 (5k max, various $ prizes)

ETA--I tend to write literary fiction, but lately my short stories have been turning out dark spec (usually dark fantasy, psychological horror types).

Last edited by Tienci; 07-16-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A bit of shameless self-promotion here: Every Sunday, on me blog, i publish a Spec Fic News bulletin, which includes news about new markets, contests, and anthos. This week i'll be pointing out a couple that don't look like they've been talked up too much yet, so be sure to check the bulletin when it's released Sunday arvo/evening.

*cheesy grin of self-promotion*
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
Lillie
practical experience, FTW
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
I always love your bulletin, Izz.

A great service to the community.
Thank you.

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:49 AM   #7
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And here it is: Spec Fic News 17/07/11

Including info on:

a new pro-paying market
a contest accepting works up to 30K
a mystery novel contest offering a prize that includes a $10k advance (not really applicable to us here, but still cool )
Old 07-18-2011, 02:34 AM   #8
Tienci

Fabulous Izz--thanks very much!

PS--For some reason, all this time I thought you were a girl until I saw the name 'Samuel' on your bulletin (must've thought Izz short for Isabel or something).

Last edited by Tienci; 07-18-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: em-dash, heh
Old 07-18-2011, 02:38 AM   #9
mscelina
Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you

Location: Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fudz. Not pie. I do not share pie. EVER.
mscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Aspen Mountain Press is about to launch Aura, their new spec fic imprint and also a monthly magazine.

Just tossing that out there too.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:40 AM   #10
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Thanks, Celina!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #11
Tienci

Another heads-up:
Round 7 of NPR's 3-minute fiction contest is going to start soon (saw an announcement on their Facebook page).
It's non-paying--usually a copy of the author-judge's book or something--but it's 600 words of fun!
Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
MattJ
Publish or Die Trying

MattJ is on a distinguished road
Here's an interesting one:

http://www.duotrope.com/market_5999.aspx

Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations . . .

Scary!

http://wayofthewriter.blogspot.com/

Be a lamp unto yourself. Work out your liberation with diligence. Buddha

MattJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #13
shelleyo
Just another face in a red jumpsuit

shelleyo should run for Presidentshelleyo should run for Presidentshelleyo should run for Presidentshelleyo should run for Presidentshelleyo should run for Presidentshelleyo should run for President
I know I saw mention of people writing for The Memory Eater anthology. Though the deadline is past, the editor is still accepting stories to fill the last 5 or 6 slots, apparently.

As for what I write, it's mostly horror and weird tales that are somewhere between horror and fantasy, I guess. A little science fiction, but it's pretty soft, I think. I do write some non-genre stuff (or literary, since that seems to be a genre of its own), and humor.

The novel I'm trying to beat into shape is horror. The novella, gay erotic fantasy, which I guess would be called paranormal fantasy since a main character isn't exactly human.

Shelley
Old 07-21-2011, 02:37 AM   #14
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Some good heads-ups in here, peeps
Old 07-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #15
zanzjan
AW Moderator

This came up for me the other day in the "Random Market" thingie on Duotrope, and has rather caught my fancy. Thought I'd pass it along to see if it's a spark for anyone else:
Dagan Books Fish Anthology:
http://www.duotrope.com/market_5794.aspx

-Suzanne

Old 07-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #16
AnnieColleen
Re-NaNoing

AnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Salem Literary Festival A Classic Re-Told contest

deadline 8/15

When writing a novel that's pretty much entirely what life turns into: "House burned down. Car stolen. Cat exploded. Did 1500 easy words, so all in all it was a pretty good day."
~Neil Gaiman
AnnieColleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #17
Tienci

Untied Shoelaces of the Mind anthology anyone (due 08/07)?
Old 08-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #18
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieColleen View Post
Salem Literary Festival A Classic Re-Told contest

deadline 8/15
They seem to be having issues with their website. Their Facebook page is working at least: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Salem-...00564206650849

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
The site for manga news and reviews.

Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #19
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
You know, I might give this a try. Gotta flip through some old flash pieces and see if I have something that will work. Thanks for the tip!
soapdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #20
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Heads up on a new pro-paying market, peeps: Penumbra.

Musa is a brand new e-publishing outfit, and Penumbra is their short fiction magazine. I know very little about them, except that their book publishing arm pays royalties only, and finding information about their editors is very difficult. But 5c a word for the zine arm isn't necessarily to be sneezed at.

Last edited by Izz; 08-09-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #21
Tienci

Hmm, might try to get something in for Penumbra's call for spec-fic involving the arts...
Old 08-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #22
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Update to my post above: info about Musa's editors and staff is now easily accessible.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #23
jgold
Grinning

jgold has a golden reputationjgold has a golden reputationjgold has a golden reputationjgold has a golden reputationjgold has a golden reputationjgold has a golden reputation
Apex put out a submissions call for a follow-up to their Dark Faith anthology. Link here.

You can't submit until January, so that should give us all plenty of time to write something.

Rock 'em Sock 'em in Abyss & Apex
Little Knife Houses forthcoming in Shock Totem
Carnival of Stone forthcoming in Newmyths.com
Between forthcoming in Bards & Sages Quarterly
jgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #24
Opinionated Ant
I walk into things

Opinionated Ant is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here goes!

Enchanted Conversation: Little Red Riding Hood- Due 09/30 (2k max, 10c/wd)
I'm working on one now but think it will be over the max but thanks I liked 'em on FB for future. Taking a kid lit class we read/talked a lot about fairy tales so now my head is full of ideas!

Not sure if I missed this one in the thread already but Im polishing a few for http://nanofiction.org/ contest. They say you can sub up to three (under 300 words) for the $15 fee deadline is 8/31/11.

@Izz added your blog lots of great info thanks!
Opinionated Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #25
mfowler76
Speculative Fictioneer

mfowler76 is on a distinguished road
jgold: Dark Faith sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the tip.