Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks! I am pleased to announce February's poetry contest:

DREAMS, VISIONS, OR NIGHTMARES

What's It About?

Write a poem on any of the three aspects of the contest title, or a combination of those aspects. Pretty wide open, you say? Yep. That's the idea. But, it is a February contest, you say. Shouldn't it be about Valentine's Day? It can be, if you want it to be, though it doesn't have to be. Perhaps you met your dream, your vision, or your nightmare on February 14th. Or, you wake from a dream to find... but you all don't need my help on ideas. You have ideas bursting from your pores. So go write. So many directions to go... and only one poem entry to take you there.

I have decided to go with member votes to determine the winner of the contest. After the submission phase of the contest ends, all poems that have been submitted and meet the rules of entry will be posted in a thread in the Poetry Crit forum, and members will vote for their top three favorites. First-place votes get three points; second-place votes get two points; third-place votes get one point.

The poem with the most points wins.

The Prizes

Blarg is donating a really fun prize--the "Magnetic Poetry Kit".

CDSinex has been kind enough to offer A Zen Wave: Basho's Haiku and Zen by Robert Aitken.

Mccardey has generously offered 2 books from the Book Depository, poet's choice.

Susie is graciously offering The Essence of Love, her e-book of love poems.

First-place winner will get first choice of prize, followed by second-place winner, etc.

Rules

• Entrants must be members of AW in good standing since at least January 12, 2012.
  • One entry per member.
  • Poems must be three hundred words or fewer.
  • Poems must be sixty lines or fewer.
  • There is no restriction or requirement on poetic form.
  • Poems will be posted exactly as entered – except that they will all be posted in the same font. No graphic images will be permitted. Please make sure your spelling and formatting are exactly as you want them before you submit the poems. (Use Preview Post before you send). I will not proofread or edit the entries.
  • All AW members in good standing since at least January 12, 2012, are eligible to vote.
  • Entrants are permitted to vote for their own poems.
Entrants must vote to be eligible to win.

How to Enter

Using the board's private message function, send me your poems by February 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM US Eastern (know your time zones).
I will post the poems together in a single thread in the Chapbook forum, and open the voting.

When I post the poems, I will assign the poems a number and use the title the author chooses (if you submit without a title, it will be creatively called Untitled).

How to Vote

Once the poems are posted, send me your vote via PM – one vote per current AW member in good standing, also using the private message function.

The subject line of the PM should be: VOTE: DREAMS, VISIONS, or NIGHTMARES Contest.

In the body of the message, include three votes in order, from first to third. List both the poem number and the title. For example:

9. Flying Pigs
2. Falling Stars
5. Beauty's Breath

Voting will close at 11:59PM US Eastern on February 29, 2012. Any votes received after that time will not count, even in your dreams.

I will then post complete results with vote totals for every entry, and announce the winner.

If you win, I'll need a mailing address. I'll either mail the prize to you myself or have it sent from an online distributor.

So get your vision clear, follow your dreams and avoid those nightmares. Ready, set, go!

Good luck!

UPDATE: The entries have been posted. Here is a link to the thread. (password: citrus)

[Acknowledgements: Thanks to Blarg and PiaH for the help in setting up this contest. You rock! And a big thanks to the peeps donating prizes. :) And a special thanks to those who have encouraged me to proceed with this contest. Your support means the world to me. Now let's write!]

Last edited:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can we define "good standing?"

Because I'm not entirely sure that would apply in my case.

:D

*dusts off poetry muscles*

:e2writer:

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds good, Ambrosia, and good luck to everybody!

I'll try to think up a prize that sounds appropriate for the contest ...

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent stuff, Ambrosia. Look forward to giving it a go, reading the entries and voting. Thanks for putting this on. :)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boston, I have never understood that phrase, either. Perhaps one of the Mods will enlighten us. I am glad you are dusting off your poetry muscles. (About time! :D )

Thanks, Blarg. I will update my contest announcemnet when I get word on your choice. :)

Thanks for participating, Harry. It is great to have the support. :)

And again, thanks to the contributors of the prizes. :)

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
Yay!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all you groovy AW boys and girls for, once again, giving us a fine opportunity to write poetry and have fun!

ajc

What do I know?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Patty. These are fun. Even just fun to read and vote if one doesn't feel poetically inspired.

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
Well I'll get mine in the end of next week. Moved to Ocean Shores, Wa. Getting my camera ready for some long walks.

Another contest! What fun!

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Amy. I am hoping not only for lots of entries from poets, but for lots of votes from others as well. :)

Thanks, Steppe. I look forward to receiving your entry. :)

I received a question in pm and asked to share it, because if one person asks for clarification, there might be more people wondering the same thing.

The person asked if the poem could be about a nightmare or a nightmarish situation. And, if so, does the word "nightmare" need to appear in the poem.

My response is yes, it can be about nightmares or a nightmarish situation. No, the word nightmare or nightmares does not have to appear in the poem. The same with "visions" or "dreams". As long as the poem has one of those elements in it, it is within the contest guidelines.

Please folks, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just received another submission! Thank you for those who have sent in their poem entries. :)

However, there have not been many entries yet. I have received 5 so far. I hope this means that people are working hard on their poems and polishing, getting ready to submit in mass numbers.

Come on, folks. Get busy with those poems!

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There have been a few more submissions. However, I am hoping for many more. Come on, peoples. There are PRIZES!

Remember, you only have through the 14th of February to submit. Don't miss out.

And, tell your friends. I know there are closet poets here at AW. Share the wealth!

Perscribo

Pound cake.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.perscribo.com
Maybe some of us are honing our stubborn little valentines until the very last minute before we give them away. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.