Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Blogging and Social Networking
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Sarashay
Shut Up and Write

Sarashay is a glorious beacon of lightSarashay is a glorious beacon of light
SOPA Strike! January 18, 2012

http://sopastrike.com/

Any website, large or small, is invited to go offline for twelve hours from 8 AM to 8 PM EST on January 18, 2012, to protest the clueless bills in Congress known as SOPA and PIPA.

My WordPress blog has a plug-in installed that will do this for me, in fact.

Is anybody else participating?

Catbooks and Other Methods available now!
Sarashay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Some Resources"

The AW main thread: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show....php?p=6923947

Methods of striking or supporting:

http://sopastrike.com/

WordPress Plugins: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/seo/hate-s...-for-that/4490

Use an htaccess file: http://www.sunpig.com/martin/archive...-htaccess.html

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
nighttimer
To Protect and Serve?

nighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm in and I urge my fellow bloggers at Word Press to join the protest.

Unapologetic. Vainglorious. Multifarious. Just Audacious. @The Domino Theory
nighttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
kimberlycreates
insert witty title here

kimberlycreates is on a distinguished road
I'm in. I know that in the grand scheme of things, I'm just another nobody on the internet. Like another writer said in a post I just read, "Nobody's going to cry tears into their pillows" that my site is down. But in my mind, that's not the point. It's about awareness. A few more people today will see at least one more site on strike against SOPA & PIPA today, and maybe one of them will be moved to do something more than just navigate to another site.

let's connect!
facebook | twitter | linkedin
kimberlycreates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
alessahinlo
figuring it all out

alessahinlo is on a distinguished road
I'm participating. Wordpress.com added an option in their dashboard so that hosted blogs can participate just like self-hosted WP blogs too. Makes it easy.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
robjvargas
Dust Bunnies are NSA Agents!

robjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Not happy that Google isn't providing an option for this, considering they've been such a vocal opponent. Still, I've blogged on my Blogger page about this.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
Max Vaehling
practical experience, FTW

Max Vaehling has a spectacular aura
I'm not participating in the strike, for reasons not related to the issue. But I've posted a comic pirating my own previous comics into a statementy mashup. Then I censored the comic.

I apologize if this kills the forum layout, but since this is not about pushing my own site...

ETA: Ah. Didn't. Good layout, this.
Max Vaehling is offline   Reply With Quote