Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Self-Publishing: Print, Digital, Papyrus or Clay
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
ANicolai
Author of 'Alex'

ANicolai is on a distinguished road
Goodreads is no longer accepting book data from Amazon. Anyone know why?

Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, please move it - I put it here because as a self-published author this could potentially impact me pretty hard if I didn't catch it. I wanted to get the word out, and see if anyone else had any more details.

This morning I saw the following on Goodreads:

"Dear Adam, At Goodreads, we make it a priority to use book information from the most reliable and open data sources, because it helps us build the best experience for our members. To that end, we're making a major change.
On January 30, Goodreads will no longer display book information that comes from Amazon.

This includes data such as titles, author names, page counts, and publication dates. For the vast majority of book editions, we have imported this data from other sources. Those few remaining editions for which we haven't found an alternative source of information will be removed from Goodreads."

It goes on to state that your data (reviews, ratings, shelves) will be safe, but the book title and author will be removed. This, obviously, would be disastrous if your marketing plan has Goodreads as a major component (mine does).

I'm going to go ahead and update all the info for my novel right now. Make sure if you have a book on Goodreads and find it a valuable tool, you do the same.

They mention that they don't want to take any more data from booksellers, which might explain why they're dumping Amazon as a data source, but I'm still curious what triggered this. Was there some particular event or customer complaint? Weird.

To Write, To Muse, To Play - my blog.
ANicolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Anjasa
Fantasy Smut? Yes please!

Anjasa is on a distinguished road
Strange, it says on their author program:

Quote:
The Author Program is designed for people with published books, or who are in the process of publishing a book. It's best if your work is on a bookseller's website, such as Amazon.com or BN.com, but we will accept any author who has published a book. This includes authors from other countries as well as authors who are self-published (such as through Barnes & Noble pubit! or services like Lulu). If your book is self-published and is not yet in the Goodreads database, you may manually add it.

Anjasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
mshaw2268
practical experience, FTW

mshaw2268 is on a distinguished road
"we make it a priority to use book information from the most reliable and open data sources."

So they're saying Amazon isn't reliable? That's odd.

"They mention that they don't want to take any more data from booksellers."

Maybe it's just me, but I'd think booksellers would be a great place to get info on books.

mshaw2268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm glad you posted this. I was checking Goodreads last night as I have a giveaway that ends on Monday and I was checking to see how many people had entered. When I clicked on my book, I received a notice that said something like, This book is in danger of being removed from Goodreads, will you save it? I followed the link and read the same message you posted above. I updated all my books, including cover images. Scary to think they would have missing information all of a sudden.

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
AllisonK
Crazy Cat Lady

AllisonK is on a distinguished road
They said it has something to do with Amazon putting too many restrictions on how the use the data, I believe. I can see this causing a lot of books to be lost if authors don't rescue them, however, since so many self-published books are exclusively listed on Amazon. I already rescued mine, so I'm hoping it won't be affected once the 30th rolls around.

DESTINED - Available now from Amazon | Nook | Smashwords

Where to find me: Website | Blog | Twitter | GoodReads
AllisonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
ANicolai
Author of 'Alex'

ANicolai is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
I can see this causing a lot of books to be lost if authors don't rescue them, however, since so many self-published books are exclusively listed on Amazon. I already rescued mine, so I'm hoping it won't be affected once the 30th rolls around.
Same. I check my various listings several times a day, but I could see someone who'd had a book out for quite awhile not doing that. I think those folks will be most likely to be affected.

To Write, To Muse, To Play - my blog.
ANicolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:49 AM   #7
c.m.n.
I put a spell on you...

c.m.n. is a splendid one to beholdc.m.n. is a splendid one to beholdc.m.n. is a splendid one to behold
Wow. That really...

Thanks for posting this. I would have totally missed it!

Current WIPs:

SuperExtraOrdinar Life of Mr. Fitch
^^ that is all, for now ^^

Bloggin' | Tweetin'
I Can Haz Website?
c.m.n. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There have been other problems with Amazon and sites using Amazon's API.

It's not reflecting well on Amazon.

I suspect that it mostly has to do Amazon having bought Shelfari a few years ago (a competing site in terms of books and social networking).

I'm a Librarian on Good Reads; let me know if you need help (PM me).

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
SakuraReyna
Writing once, twice, and forever.

SakuraReyna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshaw2268 View Post
"we make it a priority to use book information from the most reliable and open data sources."

"They mention that they don't want to take any more data from booksellers."

Maybe it's just me, but I'd think booksellers would be a great place to get info on books.
That was my question when I saw this on my Goodreads Author Page last night...

My OpenDiary--http://www.opendiary.com/entrylist.asp?authorcode=D914741

My Official Facebook Author Page:
https://www.facebook.com/tiffanyfultonfans
SakuraReyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
robjvargas
Dust Bunnies Are NSA Agents!

robjvargas has a double-platinum reputationrobjvargas has a double-platinum reputationrobjvargas has a double-platinum reputationrobjvargas has a double-platinum reputationrobjvargas has a double-platinum reputationrobjvargas has a double-platinum reputationrobjvargas has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshaw2268 View Post

Actually, there's two parts to that. Amazon might be reliable, but not very open. Someone else mentioned restrictions that Amazon places on use of their data.
Social:
robjvargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Old Hack
Catching up with the news
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
How is Goodreads going to handle books which only exist as Kindle editions if it won't take information from Amazon?
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
How is Goodreads going to handle books which only exist as Kindle editions if it won't take information from Amazon?
People will have to add them.

I've been adding them for books I have or authors I know.

Overdrive is another source . . . one offered by my local public libraries.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
Amadan
Toaster

Amadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm a Goodreads librarian too. I imagine this might have something to do with the constant flood of "books" by LLC and other shady operators who put together compilations of Wikipedia articles and sell them on Amazon with misleading titles. Those automatically get imported into Goodreads and show up when you search for a book title.

Also, I'm okay with every self-published Kindle book not automatically being imported into Goodreads. If the author or fans want it entered, they can do it easily enough.
Amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
JWNelson
Enjoying the ride if I get to drive

JWNelson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadan View Post
I'm a Goodreads librarian too. I imagine this might have something to do with the constant flood of "books" by LLC and other shady operators who put together compilations of Wikipedia articles and sell them on Amazon with misleading titles. Those automatically get imported into Goodreads and show up when you search for a book title.

Also, I'm okay with every self-published Kindle book not automatically being imported into Goodreads. If the author or fans want it entered, they can do it easily enough.
Thanks for that advice!

JWNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just wanted to say that this is not just a self-publishing issue. My trade published books also needed to be rescued. See this thread:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...=1#post6942347

Facebook

Now Out Yes it's a linky! USA
On Amazon! Yes, that's a linky too! UK

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi
aruna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #16
Anne Lyle
Fantastic historian

Location: Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's hard to tell.
Anne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputation
Thanks for posting this - my US editions seem fine, but my UK paperback needed "rescuing". Vital to ensure that people who use the barcode scanner don't come up blank!

Anne Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #17
Alitriona
Attends The School of AW

Alitriona is a glorious beacon of lightAlitriona is a glorious beacon of light
It doesn't have to be the author of the book. I'm a librarian too and I've been saving any I come across by authors I know.

Alitriona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
Becky Black
Writing my way off the B Ark

Becky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of light
I've rescued some and will do others as I come across them. What a PITA. My own are fine, since I put them on myself - being a librarian and being far too impatient to wait for anyone else to do it.