Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
February Book Study: The Prestige

Welcome to the AW SF/F book club! For the month of February we will be discussing The Prestige

Spoilers will be streaking naked through this thread. You have been warned!

Here are the previous book studies. Please feel free to revive any of these threads if you want to talk about any of the previous books.

2008:
Ender's Game (August)
Lies of Locke Lamora (September)
A Deepness in the Sky (October)
A Fire in the Deep (November)
Storm Front (December)

2009:
I Am Legend (January)
The Onion Girl (February)
Lord of Light (March)
Small Gods (April)
Beggars in Spain (May)
The Once and Future King (June)
Foundation (July)
The Graveyard Book (August)
Neuromancer (September)
The Last Wish (October)
The Knife of Never Letting Go (November)
One Hundred Years of Solitude (December)

2010:
Battle Royale (January)
Jhereg (February)
Cyberabad Days (March)
Tigana (April)
Next (May)
Perdido Street Station (June/July)
Boneshaker (August)
His Majesty's Dragon (September)
Never Let Me Go (October)
The Child Thief (November)
Solaris (December)

2011:
Lirael (January)
Blindsight(February)
Lavinia (March)
Hugo nominees (April)
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (May)
Dawn (June)
Good Omens (July)
The Hunger Games (August)
The Last Unicorn (September)
Ubik (October)
The Colour of Magic (November)
The Caves of Steel (December)

The Princess Bride (January)

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
The site for manga news and reviews.

Last edited by Sai; 02-23-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
lauralam
Moonshade

lauralam is a shiny, shiny jewellauralam is a shiny, shiny jewel
HAH! I just finished reading the Prestige not long ago, so I'll be happy to join in.

False Hearts - A near-future thriller - January 2016 - Tor/Macmillan

YA GLBT gaslight fantasy:
Pantomime - February 5/7 2013 - Strange Chemistry Books
Shadowplay - January 2/4 2014 - Strange Chemistry Books
Micah Grey #3 - 2015 - Penglass Publishing

Vestigial Tales - Self-published short stories/novellas.

Website / Twitter / Goodreads
lauralam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
eyeblink
I blink

eyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralam View Post
HAH! I just finished reading the Prestige not long ago, so I'll be happy to join in.
I read it in the late 90s. I don't have time to reread it now and don't have a copy to hand, so will have to rely on memory and what I know of Priest's other work when relevant.

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (contemporary 14+ YA novel) - 75,254 words complete draft.

Conor and Me (working title, 14+ YA) 28,258 words and counting

"Mourning Becomes Me" (novella) 32,266 words. Revising,
eyeblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
aliwood
practical experience, FTW

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've just reserved my library's copy so I can join in this time. Woo hoo.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
aliwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
I'm about 60 pages in. I'm liking it better now that I'm out of the modern day opening (and by modern day, I mean back when people still collected music on 'compact discs'). I'm looking forward to reading more.

Kuri-ousity.com

Old 02-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
lauralam
Moonshade

Same--I didn't find the frame particularly riveting to read (character's a bit bland), but I understand the reasoning for it.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Fenika

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wish I had time to go back and read the first part again- specifically Alfred Borden's part. You can tell something is going on, and no book is the same the second time around

The plot and the book are very interesting, but often times bogged down by slow scenes and overabundant rambling. Not too much happens in the 360 pages (movie edition cover) but there's just enough mystery to keep you going. Yet, even with the mystery to keep me reading, I was tempted to skip ahead a few times.

The movie otoh (spoiler free info to follow, but does contain general facts on the movie) is very well done. Even though I had just read the book, each scene was riveting. The characters were intense, and the movie much darker and more twisted than the book. And the ending? Wow.

Movie Spoiler: Please don't quote as white stands out in quotes: The fact that the prestige in the movie was a real double was well done and I was sitting there gaping more and more as it all came together. And to know that the idiot Angier had gone from shooting himself to drowning himself so that the show could go on? Yikes.

The ending of the book otoh, seemed inconsistent. Little Nicky could communicate with Big Nicky, but there was no indication that any other prestige could. Angier, even when split in two, made no mention of contact with other Prestiges or the original.

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Fenika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
These Mean Streets
We Could Be Heroes

These Mean Streets is well-respected
I read this a few years ago but never finished it.

In my opinion, this book was one of the very few instances where the movie was better than the book.
These Mean Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
Marya
In search of distractions

Marya is a shiny, shiny jewelMarya is a shiny, shiny jewel
I'm a great fan of Christopher Priest, will get out my copy of Prestige to refresh my memory.
Marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by These Mean Streets View Post
I read this a few years ago but never finished it.

In my opinion, this book was one of the very few instances where the movie was better than the book.
I agree that with The Prestige, movie > book.

I finished this today. It is a very easy, smooth read. It's a shame that Angier's part comes so late in the book, as I thought it was the most interesting section. There were parts of the plot that I felt the author could have explored more, like for example after one of the Bordens die, we never get to see his twin's reaction to that major loss. there are lots of interesting ideas in this book, but I think the movie did a better job tackling them.

Kuri-ousity.com

Old 02-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
lauralam
Moonshade

I do think Priest is a very talented writer--he showed the differences between the two magician's voices so well and I loved how things fell into place. The end unraveled a bit for me, though.

I need to re-watch the film. I haven't seen it since he theatre and I forget the differences.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Marya
In search of distractions

Marya is a shiny, shiny jewelMarya is a shiny, shiny jewel
I haven't seen the movie -- and I think I was expecting something closer to The Glamour, still reading and since February is about to end I've left it very late for this thread.

What I do enjoy about Christopher Priest is the unreliable narrator, the sudden reversals and the way in which the reader is not sure what is happening, can't make any easy assumptions about where the novel is going.

I also like doppelganger themes, that doubling or playing with mirrors, twinning of types. I'm not that interested though in stage magicians, not even David Copperfield, although I know Priest studied him quite closely.
Marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
aliwood

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, I'm up to page 157. I'm getting through it slowly. I think if I had picked this up in the library and browsed the first chapter I wouldn't have read it. I'm someone who needs action and a bit of whizz-bang. There is now some whizz and bang but it's really not moving with pace. I'll keep going though.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
aliwood is offline   Reply With Quote