Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > AW Bookclub
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #5376
Draíocht
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Draíocht is on a distinguished road
The Psychopath Test - Jon Ronson

Manuscript: something submitted in haste and returned at leisure. ~ Oliver Herford
Draíocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:56 AM   #5377
Tnonk
practical experience, FTW

Location: On the banks of Berwick Bay near the mouth of Bayou Teche.
Tnonk is on a distinguished road
The Red Snow - Kenneth Robeson

WIP - L.I.M./ Lincoln Island
8 Chapters / 43,000 words (so far)
Back to Work on it!
Tnonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:58 AM   #5378
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Year's Best Non-Required Reading, edited by Dave Eggers

Resingled Querying!
Nyasaland Off to betas. PM me if you'd like to help a guy out.
WIP: WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 41,000 words.

Write on, Brother! (blog)
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #5379
slcboston
word-slinger

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

yes, I am behind the curve

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
slcboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #5380
archerjoe

archerjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputation
Just finished The Night Swimmer by Matt Bondurant. I've got The Collected Stories by Amy Hempel on deck.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #5381
Words.Worth

Words.Worth is on a distinguished road
Memoirs of the Second World War - Winston S. Churchill
Words.Worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:05 AM   #5382
archerjoe

archerjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputation
Anyone else read There But For The by Ali Smith? I just started it and so far, so good. I'm interested to see how far the author can take the premise of a dinner guest who locks himself in a guest room and won't come out, even after many days go by. Apparently this idea can span 230+ pages.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:44 AM   #5383
HarryHoskins
Straw-fed

HarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
AW - The Western Contest Entry Thread (Password Vista)

Be lovely if you could have a read and a vote, too. Rules and instructions in the OP of the entry thread.

You need not mean what you say, but you must say what you mean - Afrit
HarryHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #5384
Cacophony
Hashtag

Cacophony is on a distinguished road
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt. Fantastic read.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #5385
Kitty27
So Goth That I Was Born Black
AW Moderator

Kitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wuthering Heights.

NIGHT CALLS(Finally have a title! )YA Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Novel,Coming 2014.
Vampire Writer 4 life and don't GAF.

"You've got to stop with this rap crap,Kitty. Put on some blues,gal! Feel that pain,soul and a good old time. Get with some Howling Wolf,Denise LaSalle and Johnny Taylor. Not that Snoopy boy or whatever his name is."
RC Wilcox,RIP

Kitty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #5386
jonaki
Almost Famous

jonaki is on a distinguished road
Reading "Cutting for Stone" Abraham Verghese. Marvelous, so far.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #5387
Marumae
Princess of Poppycock

Marumae is on a distinguished road
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairy Land in a Ship of her Own Making By Catherine Valente
-So far so good, I've heard complaints it over does the whimsy factor for some people, but I like it. I think Valente knows when to tone it down where as China Mieville didn't in his book "I Wish I had Thought of Clive Barkers Abarat First" Un-Lun-Dun.

Also, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

-Read it years ago all the way through, breezed through it then, now? After that I tried re-reading a couple times but never could quite make it. Now I'm setting an easy but fast pace, I think it's the hype for Season Two of the television series, which helps.

On Desk: The Cat and the Dragon (Fantasy): Outlining
Trunked: The Shapeshifter's Father (Urban Fantasy): Drafting
Marumae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #5388
Phyllo
Still sitting

Phyllo is on a distinguished road
After months and months of reading books that were simply ehhh ... I'm now reading This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson and LOVING it!

It's a novel about the voyages of The Beagle as told mainly from the perspective of the captain, Fitzroy, and Darwin.

The writing is terrific and it's researched to perfection. How tragic that Thompson died around the time the novel (his first) was published.
Phyllo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:55 AM   #5389
These Mean Streets
We Could Be Heroes

These Mean Streets is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllo View Post
After months and months of reading books that were simply ehhh ... I'm now reading This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson and LOVING it!

It's a novel about the voyages of The Beagle as told mainly from the perspective of the captain, Fitzroy, and Darwin.

The writing is terrific and it's researched to perfection. How tragic that Thompson died around the time the novel (his first) was published.
Sounds interesting. I'll probably get it soon.

A question for other members:

Any historical books anyone can recommend? Any period is fine. I'm looking for good books with good storytelling, compelling writing, good historical ambiance and world-building etc.
These Mean Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:09 AM   #5390
WordCount
You don't have coffee? Go away.

WordCount is a shiny, shiny jewelWordCount is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by These Mean Streets View Post
Sounds interesting. I'll probably get it soon.

A question for other members:

Any historical books anyone can recommend? Any period is fine. I'm looking for good books with good storytelling, compelling writing, good historical ambiance and world-building etc.
Stephen King's 11/22/63 is mostly set in the late 50s/early 60s. Great book, too. One of his best.
Part of the Job: An Edward Shelton Murder Mystery--editing, proofreading. The works.

Here is my latest idea for a project. It's in the works. Any thoughts and comments will be extremely appreciated, whether you tell me it's gold or utter crap. Leave a comment and get a +1.
WordCount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #5391
archerjoe

I just finished There but for the by Ali Smith. A hard book to describe, I can't do it justice by trying to explain it. Her writing is very good and I enjoyed the book.

Next up: An Ermine in Czernopol by Gregor Von Rezzori via a recent translation to English. Meine Deutsch is nicht sehr gut.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #5392
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I can, without any doubt, assert that I am currently reading a novel no one else frequenting AW is:

The Wandering Jew, by Eugene Sue.

At the beginning of the year I posted another thread here, announcing my "classic" author to read for 2012, which was to be Walter Scott. But i got distracted, via my 23-year-old son relating something he'd heard about the legend of the wandering Jew, a being fated to live eternally and wander the world in search of redemption.

I have long collected books, and I happened to have a copy of this immense novel (~1500 pages) dating from about 1950. I bought it years ago in a used book shop, and it has a really nice handwritten birthday-present dedication from Maxine to Marie on the inside of the cover. I truly hope Marie read it, or maybe someone else did.

In any case, it is in very good condition, and I got interested enough to give it a go. And am enjoying it. It is melodramatic, in the way that many early 19th-century novels are, but the translation is good, and it is in readable prose. It was a huge best-seller when it appeared, back when, and was at least prominent enough to merit inclusion in the Modern Library Giant editions of the 1950s, which is the copy I have. I suspect that not only is nobody here reading it, or ever has read it, but that very few here have ever heard of it.

It is a bit DanBrownish, involving a complex evil Jesuit conspiracy to control the world, using Indian thuggee, among other malign influences. But, like the novel that intrigued me with Walter Scott (The Talisman), a pleasant surprise to read, so far. I'm about 200 pages in. I figure to finish about when the Philadelphia Phillies win the world series in October.

The story is not, by the way, in any manner anti-Semitic. Which statement seems to be necessary, given present-day sensitivities. It is, from what I've read so far, very much anti-Jesuit, however.

caw
blacbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #5393
Sophia
AW Moderator

Sophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
The Wandering Jew, by Eugene Sue.
blacbird, if you get the chance, I recommend seeing the play Underneath the Lintel. I saw it in 2008, and heard it on the radio a few months later. I'm not sure if it is still being performed anywhere. It is a monologue, framed as a lecture where a man presents the audience with the evidence for the story he is telling. The versions I saw / heard starred Richard Schiff (Toby from The West Wing) and were excellent.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #5394
Macca
figuring it all out

Macca is on a distinguished road
Just coming to the end of 'Carmilla' by J. Sheridan LeFanu. Wonderfully subversive and erotic. Great gothic novella which influenced Bram Stoker I believe.

Been mostly reading a lot of non-fiction lately including Peter Ackroyd's books on London (Underground) and his biography of Dickens. Also recently finished Paul Mason's (BBC Newsnight's economics editor) Why It's Kicking off Everywhere, which is a brief narrative & analysis of the social upheavals of the past four or five years (post credit crunch) with particular attention paid to the Arab Spring. Tis very good indeed.
Macca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:59 AM   #5395
ResearchGuy
Resident Curmudgeon

ResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
I can, without any doubt, assert that I am currently reading a novel no one else frequenting AW is:

The Wandering Jew, by Eugene Sue. . . .
You piqued my interest. It is at this moment downloading (free) to my Kindle.

--Ken
ResearchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #5396
EthanJones
Banned for Spamming

EthanJones is on a distinguished road
Helsinki White by James Thompson.

Thanks,

Ethan
EthanJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:02 AM   #5397
Talltree
Good readers make good writers

Talltree is a splendid one to beholdTalltree is a splendid one to beholdTalltree is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Angel's Dance by Nalini Singh,

Thanks,

Talltree
Talltree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #5398
Chiron
figuring it all out

Chiron is on a distinguished road
The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope. Oh, that Sir Felix!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #5399
Cacophony
Hashtag

Cacophony is on a distinguished road
Started reading Stephen King's Carrie for the first time in almost 20 years.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #5400
nicolethegeek
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

nicolethegeek is on a distinguished road
Just getting started with Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.
Ya, I realize I'm about 10 years behind most of the world... I usually am!

Facebook | Twitter | Ravelry
My Blog: The Purl in the Oyster
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote