Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #3026
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Marzioli has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
I wouldn't have guessed that since they say it no where in their guidelines that they take stories with Christian perspectives.
Yeah, I was surprised to run across that article (where that info was taken from). If they can find a modern Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, more power to them! I previously sent them a story with elements of Catholicism in it (that was held a long time at Apex--for whatever that's worth--and got a higher tier from F&SF), but they rejected it within 3 days. :/

Recent Publications:
- "The (Zeroes and) Ones We Love" @ Ares Magazine, July 2014

- "Splotch of Red" @ DarkFuse Anthology Series, June 2014

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Marzioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #3027
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzioli View Post
I previously sent them a story with elements of Catholicism in it (that was held a long time at Apex--for whatever that's worth--and got a higher tier from F&SF), but they rejected it within 3 days. :/
Perhaps it was the wrong Christian perspective. (God knows how many perspectives there are on Christianity)
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #3028
Marzioli
Could be worse!

I'll try my protestant story next... Once I write it.

And, on a more general note, I got my third rejection of the day. Beneath Ceaseless Skies. Previously, I couldn't use the personal criticisms they offered, but this one may be helpful.

Recent Publications:

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Old 02-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #3029
pangalactic
Gargling blasters

pangalactic has a spectacular aura
Thanks for the advice on the rewrite request, folks. Very helpful as always and much appreciated!

http://www.chrisbissette.com
I'm writing a story a day for a year. Come say hello!

@pangalactic
pangalactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #3030
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
That's really interesting about Buzzy mag. I have a story that's out at DSF right now, but I'm now thinking it would be a good fit for Buzzy- it's an alternate history/magical realism, but more with the realism than magic. The only speculative elemnt is that the Devil is a character, so maybe it would work out well. Now I just have to see if DSF wants it or not :P.

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
The site for manga news and reviews.

Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #3031
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
Good luck with it! Out of curiosity, is the story that's published with them from a Christian perspective?
Not even a little bit.

In the second story (one that's in their slush right now) there's a bit character who's a Catholic priest, but he gets all of one paragraph in a 5k+ MS.

This is the first time I hear of the Christian perspective thing at all.
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #3032
horrorshowjack
Professional Heretic

horrorshowjack is on a distinguished road
Three rejections today. It seems to be common this week. I don't feel as bad about it now.

Rejected by Shadows & Tall Trees in 5 hours. Usually I can only get rejected that fast while dating.

Not a winner with the Tinhouse Blog either.

I'd made it to the round of 30 for the Microaward. Unfortunately I failed to get even a single third place vote from the judges, so I can't call myself a finalist.
horrorshowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:12 AM   #3033
mhaynes
practical experience, FTW

mhaynes has a spectacular aura
The crickets are getting loud. That is all.

mhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 AM   #3034
MeretSeger
The Alydar of Writers

MeretSeger has a spectacular aura
I have several stories being held for, seriously, a month longer than the average R. Gives me hope I get to keep my title as the Alydar of short stories! Come on, personal R! Mamma needs a new pair of...Rs?
MeretSeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #3035
O'Dandelo

O'Dandelo is well-respected
Crickets for me. My submission at West Pigeon Press has been in the second round for 19 days now. My Shock Totem submission has been "In-Progress" most of the day. So I imagine the crickets will shut up quite soon.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #3036
O'Dandelo

O'Dandelo is well-respected

I made the forum a cricket meme. Now to see if I can properly display it here.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #3037
MeretSeger
The Alydar of Writers

Thank you, Dandelo. Is there a certain part of him we rub for luck?

Because I have been on hold with a Very Challenging Market for a Very Challenging Week now, and it is making me nuts.

eta: hmmmm. made a gender assumption, but looking at those pecs, my pronoun might be wrong...
Old 03-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #3038
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
Form rejection from Asimov's. Oh well, I'm on vacation, and it's hard to get me down.

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
The site for manga news and reviews.

Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #3039
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Very cool, O'Dandelo!

And *hugs* for all you rejectioneers.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #3040
Marzioli
Could be worse!

R from Lightspeed. <Insert speed related rejection quip here>.

Also, got spam from Pedestal Magazine. I had no idea who the heck it was, only that some guy (John Amen) claimed to be doing poetry readings. Had to look it up before I realized who it was. That's annoying.

Also, Allegory wrote and said my sub is in their queue. At 47 days, I don't think they've even gotten to it yet. :P

Recent Publications:

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Old 03-02-2012, 01:31 AM   #3041
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
John Amen is EIC of Pedestal, iirc. Heh--i delete those emails without even reading them.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #3042
mhaynes

mhaynes has a spectacular aura
R from Clarkesworld overnight put the crickets briefly on hold. Still, it seems awfully quiet for having so many subs out.

mhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #3043
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
John Amen is EIC of Pedestal, iirc. Heh--i delete those emails without even reading them.
Yeah, I guess I'll start doing that too. I didn't enjoy the fact they didn't have an unsubscribe option on the email.

On another note, I got an R From Threepenny Review. That makes two for the day. I might just get two three-R days in a row, if I'm lucky.

Recent Publications:

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Old 03-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #3044
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Also, got spam from Pedestal Magazine. I had no idea who the heck it was, only that some guy (John Amen) claimed to be doing poetry readings. Had to look it up before I realized who it was. That's annoying.

Yeah. He has the somewhat dubious policy of putting anyone subscribed to the Pedestal mailing list on his personal mailing list for promotional announcements. I delete them. Along with most of the crap I get from Pedestal.

Crickets for me. I guess I should be pleased.
But I'm not.
The Spider Thief and The Sorcerer: Crowded Magazine
The Collections Agent: Available NOW!

A.G. Carpenter
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #3045
gettingby

gettingby is a glorious beacon of lightgettingby is a glorious beacon of light
I just got an R from Threepenny too. It was my second try with them. I like that they are so fast but really tough, I think.
gettingby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #3046
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Yeah, I guess I'll start doing that too. I didn't enjoy the fact they didn't have an unsubscribe option on the email.
Not only do they not reject you before their issue goes live, but they spam you, too. That's rather rude, I think. I almost want to start an anti-Pedestal campaign, because I really dislike (if that weren't obvious) how they treat writers.

And sorry about the R's, guys.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #3047
Hildegarde
A newb in the fog

Hildegarde is well-respected
R way faster duotrope avg - is this bad?

Ohhh - how needy can I be?

Got an R from Apex after 5 days. This seems super fast to me and leads me to wonder if I was literally rejected off my title - lol!

I know, it is a silly thing to obsess over. Honestly, I am happy to have a quick response. Subbed right back out to another market I'm pretty sure is a touch above me.

Anyone else see response times this fast?

Socialite Meets Soccer Dad - Free on Kindle Unlimited
IrenePreston.com Read a Free Chapter

Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest
Hildegarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:29 AM   #3048
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hildegarde View Post

Got an R from Apex after 5 days. This seems super fast to me and leads me to wonder if I was literally rejected off my title - lol!

I know, it is a silly thing to obsess over. Honestly, I am happy to have a quick response. Subbed right back out to another market I'm pretty sure is a touch above me.

I wouldn't read too much into Apex's response times. From what i've read from their slushies and editors, their slush reading has no real method, and so when you get a response isn't necessarily going to be related to when you subbed

Also
Old 03-02-2012, 03:32 AM   #3049
Hildegarde
A newb in the fog

Hildegarde is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
I wouldn't read too much into Apex's response times. From what i've read from their slushies and editors, their slush reading has no real method, and so when you get a response isn't necessarily going to be related to when you subbed

Also

Tender writer sensibilities soothed.

Thank you!

Socialite Meets Soccer Dad - Free on Kindle Unlimited
IrenePreston.com Read a Free Chapter

Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest
Hildegarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #3050
MeretSeger
The Alydar of Writers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hildegarde View Post

I've seen a series of fast ones over the last couple of days. Might mean the issue they're currently reading for is full, and it has nothing to do with your writing...or title. Remember, if you write a zombie story, maybe they already have a zombie story. DON"T take it personally. And keep subbing!