Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #2651
Lillie
practical experience, FTW
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Yay! Izz!

Congratulations

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #2652
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks! It was entirely unexpected, and unexpectedly nice, too.

And, because i'm in a sharing mood today , here are links to two things that've got me thinking about story ideas:

Stolen chewing gum being used as currency in Romania

Cosmic bubbles!
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #2653
SmallThing
Eek!

SmallThing is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post

I got reviewed! I had a story come out last year in a NZ lit zine, Takahe. And this morning i got an email from the review review telling me they'd reviewed issue #73 of Takahe on their site, and that i got a mention. It was a nice mention (almost a double-mention), too The full review is here.
Izz! Splendid!! (Sometimes you have to trot out the words that don't get used much.)

Also, great quote! So true.
SmallThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #2654
Lillie

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Chewing gum???

That's weird! And sort of hilarious.

And also hilarious is that someone set my local ASDA on fire by putting a lit fag in with the crisps.

I'm wondering if they'll have a sale on smoke damaged chewing gum.

Published stories

Most recent publications

Old 02-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #2655
Nathaniel Katz
The Evil Hat

Nathaniel Katz has a spectacular aura
I just finished my first story in... forever. Spent about a week puttering around with the opening, finally got a first thousand words that worked, then didn't write the next day. Then, today, I wrote four thousand words in a sitting and finished it. Wow, I missed this feeling.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #2656
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well done, Nat!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #2657
fihr

fihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to behold
Wow, Izz, that's fantastic to get a review all of a sudden. Very cool.

Congrats, Nathaniel Katz. That is a great feeling.

I've got a story I've been working on all year, that slowed me right down. But I'm happy because I just knocked out a short in only two or three days, which I'm now subbing. My first submission this year, and I committed to one every two months (not much, I know), and I just scraped in.

And before that I wrote another story that is probably unsubmittable (don't know where it should go), but it only took me a week, it just flowed out.

In the background, the slower one is still chugging away. But at least my mind is now refreshed.
fihr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #2658
gettingby

gettingby is a shiny, shiny jewelgettingby is a shiny, shiny jewel
Just finished my story for the week and it's only Sunday! It might need a little work, but it is a solid story and eight pages long. I have all week now to perfect it. Feeling a little ahead of the game.
gettingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #2659
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fihr View Post
But I'm happy because I just knocked out a short in only two or three days, which I'm now subbing. My first submission this year, and I committed to one every two months (not much, I know), and I just scraped in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingby View Post
Just finished my story for the week and it's only Sunday! It might need a little work, but it is a solid story and eight pages long. I have all week now to perfect it. Feeling a little ahead of the game.
Go you two!
Old 02-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #2660
Sea Witch
Stirring the word cauldron

Sea Witch is well-respected
Does anyone ever look at the "report of recent responses from this market" on Duotrope and then count the different days to rejection, making yourself nuts with "well I lasted longer than this one" or "I lasted longer than that one" or "man, look at that long list of rejections!"?

2012 W1S1 (Subs = 11, Pubs = 3)
WIP WC = 42,000/80,000
Stop by my blog and leave a comment!
http://quinceandquilt.blogspot.com/
Sea Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #2661
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Yep Sometimes i have to force myself to stay off duotrope for a couple days.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:21 AM   #2662
SmallThing
Eek!

Duotrope is crazy making.

I opened my writing account today to find what I assumed was a rejection for a story that's been out forever to a market that I love. It wasn't a rejection, it was a request for a electronic copy to share with the editorial staff in prep for their next meeting.

Tiny little woot here.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:30 AM   #2663
gettingby

SmallThing that is great news! Good for you. I hope they take it.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #2664
mhaynes

mhaynes has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Witch View Post
Does anyone ever look at the "report of recent responses from this market" on Duotrope and then count the different days to rejection, making yourself nuts with "well I lasted longer than this one" or "I lasted longer than that one" or "man, look at that long list of rejections!"?
Umm... Yeah. That sounds about right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallThing View Post
It wasn't a rejection, it was a request for a electronic copy to share with the editorial staff in prep for their next meeting.
Good luck!

mhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #2665
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a glorious beacon of lightalexshvartsman is a glorious beacon of lightalexshvartsman is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
I obsessively check Duotrope once per day, specifically paying attention to the markets I currently have submissions at. And yeah, you kind of want to outlast the average rejection; that is a tiny victory
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:58 AM   #2666
Lillie

Quote:
Yeah. I do that loads.

It's what Duo is for.

Published stories

Most recent publications

Old 02-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #2667
V1c
Hmmmmm

V1c is well-respected
Oh, I'm always checking in with Duotrope. Sigh. Crack, that's what it is.

I haven't been able to write short stories working on my novel and such. But working on that, I feel like I'm the opposite of W1S1- It was at 35K, trying to go to 40 (YAish), and instead went to 30K - so I cut out a story's worth of stuff. ARGH.

7 stories out, 1 over 200 days at a 90 day market, another also over at a 90 day I came close to before.
V1c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #2668
Sea Witch
Stirring the word cauldron

Sea Witch is well-respected
Can anyone shed some light on what PANK wants? Looks pretty foggy to me....

2012 W1S1 (Subs = 11, Pubs = 3)
WIP WC = 42,000/80,000
Stop by my blog and leave a comment!
http://quinceandquilt.blogspot.com/
Sea Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #2669
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, been an off week for me so far. Just busy in RL and a bit of drama with the Mister about how much effort should be devoted to writing and blahblahblah. So, I haven't written much.

After the rejection from Apex I sent Call-Center off to Asimov's so that'll be a while I expect before I hear anything. Good news is, so far I've gotten two higher tier Rs for it. Not sure if that really means anything or not.

Got a note from DSF this morning to say that In the Cool of the Day has not only made the second round but is now in the pile of final stories. Also said I can expect to wait a month before hearing anything else. >_< It's a bit of a surprise really; it's a big honking story (6.4k words) and one of the oldest I've been working on. (There was a really short version that I tried at 5-6 places and got nowhere. Started revisions last summer after the thing had sat idle for 12 months or so. Finally finished up the new version a few weeks ago.) So, I'm excited, but you know... more crickets. Yay! >_<

Guess it's time to actually finish something else.

The Collections Agent: Stupefying Stories SHOWCASE
Vessels for Destruction: Nature Magazine
Brass Stars: Eggplant Literary Productions

In the Cool of the Day: Abyss & Apex

A.G. Carpenter : updated 4.14
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:22 AM   #2670
fihr

fihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggy B. View Post
Well, been an off week for me so far. Just busy in RL and a bit of drama with the Mister about how much effort should be devoted to writing and blahblahblah. So, I haven't written much.
That's always the tug-o-war, I think. Writing can't be justified financially for most people. I need to write for my health. I turn into a nasty person if I don't have something creative on the go. But I also neglect some of the practicalities in life so that I can write. I am not a domestic goddess. Something's got to give.

I like hearing about your story that you fixed up after leaving it twelve months, that's now doing much better. I've got one sitting there that is a bit like that... You've got me thinking.
fihr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:46 AM   #2671
gettingby

Finished another story today. That makes two this week. Trouble is I am not sure I like either of them. For sure, I am my worst critic. But still it sucks to not like your work. Why can't I just write something that is great? I am frustrated with my abilities or lack there of.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #2672
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I haven't been in here since 2011 since I'm not doing the W1S1 2012 short story challenge this year (unless you count still subbing all the stories I wrote last year for W1S1 ).

But I just wanted to pop in and let you guys know about something NEW we have started in the Horror forum.

I met a lot of writers here last year and beta read for a few of you who write horror (and write it very well, I might add).

So, if you write horror or are interested at all in writing horror, you can get the details on the challenge for March here.

/plug

Hope you all are doing well. I miss you guys. But have been busy on my W1S1 Novel challenge this year.

Last edited by soapdish; 03-02-2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: oops
soapdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #2673
Aggy B.

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by fihr View Post
I like hearing about your story that you fixed up after leaving it twelve months, that's now doing much better. I've got one sitting there that is a bit like that... You've got me thinking.
Here's the thing. W1S1 is about keeping stuff moving. But some stories just need more time. And one thing I learned last year was that some things I'd put aside because I thought they weren't salvageable actually are. In the Cool of the Day is actually the third story I've done that with. Taken a good (but not great) short story and reworked it into a better (and in my case - longer) one. The Collections Agent didn't sit for as long as the other two, but it underwent some major revisions after being rejected by The Mammoth Book of Steampunk, Fantasy, Beneath Ceaseless Skies and Clarkesworld. The Hardest Kiss sat for two years before I started reworking it. (Not certain about how the revisions will take, it's at Tor.com right now and still in the depths of the queue.)

Personally, I find that sometimes I have good ideas that I can't quite do justice to in the first version. Sometimes I have to let them sit for a while to let my skills catch up with my ambition.

Aggy, rarely trunks anything but does have a big shelf of things that need revision

@Aggy_C
Old 03-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #2674
Aggy B.

I know there aren't too many in here to seem to like subbing to Tor.com, but I noticed yesterday that their submission guidelines have been updated.

Not much different, except that they do have a specific title string for email subs they ask you to use. FWIW.

Now I feel like I should resend my story with the new string. Ahhh. It's only been there 150+ days already. :P

Trying to get some momentum going on the short story front, but things have been crazy around here so I'm a little behind for the week.

@Aggy_C
Old 03-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #2675
SmallThing
Eek!

Thanks for posting the guidelines update. I've something that I've been considering sending them. I've got two stories that have been out for close to six months at this point. A year's wait can't be that much worse, right?