Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #8226
Fenika
practical experience, FTW

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A human hangs it there... And technically speaking, someone is in place to Id it and take it off down the line. Which they did. Also, Technically speaking, the hangers are trained to Id and NOT hang the rotten corpses. Yeah.

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 03-01-2012, 04:27 AM   #8227
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There has been so much yelling in this office today

twice I've had people ask who or what is yelling

who or what

and once, a salesman asked if coworker was yelling at him, and I said, around a burbling laughter, "not this time, right now she's yelling at somebody else, consider yourself lucky."

New office motto: $h!+ rolls downhill! F#$K Everybody!

We're going to have it monogrammed on tshirts.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

Twitter
Old 03-01-2012, 04:32 AM   #8228
Fenika

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Consider yourself lucky your shit only rolls. My office shit flies onto clothing or worse. And when not flying, it's still prevelant.

I'm still helping, right?

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 03-01-2012, 04:35 AM   #8229
slcboston
Just What It Says on the Label

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If the universe implodes, it has nothing to do with my having finished my first new story in longer than I want to admit to, AND having subbed it to a contest.

Seriously. Not my fault.

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
Old 03-01-2012, 04:53 AM   #8230
Fenika

What's that distant roaring sound?

Luckily, the Cantina is it's own universe. We should be safe here.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #8231
zanzjan
99k and still going
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
reverse the polarity of the multi-quote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillaryjacques View Post
I'm trying to remember where I was and what I was doing four years ago. I'm thinking I might have been in Texas, searching for oryxes (orexi?) with an Australian. Anyone else know? (About yourselves, not me)
Same job, same house, probably sitting in the same chair or sacked out on the couch, under doctor's orders not to so much as twitch if I could help it.

Looking back at what I wrote on LJ that day, it's full of a lot of stuff that, in hindsight, I wish I could have told myself to not worry about (fear of having premature twins), not care so much about (my job, which was shortly to go full-tilt into suckville) and to let go of (my novel out on submission, which broke my heart -- there's a reason I haven't managed to send out another since.)

Quote:
Her: No, because they have a laxative effect.
Couldn't take a handful and stick 'em out in the company break room when she wasn't around?

Quote:
How does a rotten chicken get on the line?
To get to the other side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettielee View Post
New office motto: $h!+ rolls downhill! F#$K Everybody!

We're going to have it monogrammed on tshirts.
Vaguely random anecdote: Many years back I worked for a company, in a brand new building, where almost everybody had a mug that said "I survived xxxx Road". xxxx Rd was where the previous office had been while they were building the new one. That building had problems, one of which was that somehow pigeons were getting into the building and nesting inside the dropped ceiling. Then some genius had the bright idea of poisoning the pigeons, and did so, and then the ceiling was full of dead pigeons. And then bugs. Lots and lots of bugs. Bugs that would fall out of the ceiling onto people while they were working, and eventually cover all horizontal surfaces (desks, filing cabinets, the top of the water cooler, etc.) over the course of each night.

Even with them drilling into the concrete directly over my office, or the cockroaches in the basement big enough that I've mistaken them for mice on first glance more than once, or last week when apparently they bolloxed up the sewage system for the entire 1500 ACRES (6 sq km?) my workplace covers and had to email 30,000 people begging them not to flush any toilets for the next several hours, it's never been anywhere near that bad.

2014: Fly Away Home, Interzone #251, March; House Party Blues, Black Static #39, March; Shatterdown, Asimov's, June (podcast here!)

Last edited by zanzjan; 03-01-2012 at 05:07 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-01-2012, 05:06 AM   #8232
zanzjan
99k and still going
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
If the universe implodes, it has nothing to do with my having finished my first new story in longer than I want to admit to, AND having subbed it to a contest.
Yay! Best of luck to it!

2014: Fly Away Home, Interzone #251, March; House Party Blues, Black Static #39, March; Shatterdown, Asimov's, June (podcast here!)
Old 03-01-2012, 05:25 AM   #8233
Kricket
Chirp! Chirp!

Kricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Seriously. Not my fault.
Good luck! and good job! *fist bump*

WIPs
SF Novel: Moon Dragons First Draft COMPLTETED 90,832 words, Resting
Flash: "Joy Eats Fear" 799 words, Revising
Urban Fantasy Novel: White Crow 12,000 words

Old 03-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #8234
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post

Vaguely random anecdote: Many years back I worked for a company, in a brand new building, where almost everybody had a mug that said "I survived xxxx Road". xxxx Rd was where the previous office had been while they were building the new one. That building had problems, one of which was that somehow pigeons were getting into the building and nesting inside the dropped ceiling. Then some genius had the bright idea of poisoning the pigeons, and did so, and then the ceiling was full of dead pigeons. And then bugs. Lots and lots of bugs. Bugs that would fall out of the ceiling onto people while they were working, and eventually cover all horizontal surfaces (desks, filing cabinets, the top of the water cooler, etc.) over the course of each night.

Even with them drilling into the concrete directly over my office, or the cockroaches in the basement big enough that I've mistaken them for mice on first glance more than once, or last week when apparently they bolloxed up the sewage system for the entire 1500 ACRES (6 sq km?) my workplace covers and had to email 30,000 people begging them not to flush any toilets for the next several hours, it's never been anywhere near that bad.
uh... is bug another word for maggot???

I just grossed myself out.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

Twitter
Old 03-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #8235
zanzjan
99k and still going
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettielee View Post
uh... is bug another word for maggot???
certainly maggots were one element of the vast and diverse bug demographic.

sorry. i should go write and stop saying icky things.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #8236
MeretSeger
The Alydar of Writers

MeretSeger has a spectacular aura
No, no! Don't stop! The movie in my head is horrible, but beautiful at the same time. The intensity of the raining maggots...
Old 03-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #8237
slcboston

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeretSeger View Post
No, no! Don't stop! The movie in my head is horrible, but beautiful at the same time. The intensity of the raining maggots...
Agreed. There are several horror short stories and possibly an entire novel in there. If anything, this needs to be taken to a different forum. Like the Hounds.

But it's fascinating.

I also find it amazing that no one thought through the consequences of poisoning the pigeons.

FleasTwits
Old 03-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #8238
Debio
Joining the insect army.

Debio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for President
Quote:
Agreed. There are several horror short stories and possibly an entire novel in there. If anything, this needs to be taken to a different forum. Like the Hounds.

But it's fascinating.

I also find it amazing that no one thought through the consequences of poisoning the pigeons.

I think it is amazing, too. But, sadly, not terribly surprised. But, you have America's Funniest Home Videos(if that is still around, I'm 15 years out of touch), epic fail sites and the like, that exist solely because there are many people who fail to think through the consequences of whatever they are doing.

My basic rule for life= All people is stoopidz, until proven otherwise.

My bar for an acceptable level of proof is actually quite low. Generally walking and breathing at the same time gets you pretty close.

(All people in the cantina automatically qualify as not-stoopidz, cause this is a cool place to be and it takes smartz to know that.)
Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #8239
slcboston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debio View Post
I think it is amazing, too. But, sadly, not terribly surprised. But, you have America's Funniest Home Videos(if that is still around, I'm 15 years out of touch),
Yup, still around. My daughter, who is 8, greatly enjoys the show, and it has actually taught her many beneficial life lessons.

Such as: don't stand too close to the pinata.

And, if it seems like a stupid idea, it probably is.

And, boys (and men) seem to have a preponderance of stupid.

I'm hoping she retains that last lesson through the next ten years or so.

FleasTwits
Old 03-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #8240
Debio
Joining the insect army.

Debio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for President
Quote:
Yup, still around. My daughter, who is 8, greatly enjoys the show, and it has actually taught her many beneficial life lessons.

Such as: don't stand too close to the pinata.

And, if it seems like a stupid idea, it probably is.

And, boys (and men) seem to have a preponderance of stupid.

I'm hoping she retains that last lesson through the next ten years or so.

I always thought it was unfair that the males of our species had such large amounts of that trait.

And you can't go too wrong by following those three rules.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #8241
GreenEpic
...because you don't know yourself

GreenEpic leaves trails of profuse coolnessGreenEpic leaves trails of profuse coolnessGreenEpic leaves trails of profuse coolnessGreenEpic leaves trails of profuse coolnessGreenEpic leaves trails of profuse coolness
Hello Cantina! I haven't been around for a while. No reason except that I suck.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #8242
MeretSeger
The Alydar of Writers

MeretSeger has a spectacular aura
Quote:
I always thought it was unfair that the males of our species had such large amounts of that trait.

And you can't go too wrong by following those three rules.
It's what made them such good hunters. No risk, no reward.

Of course, now that they are only allowed to hunt paychecks...let's just say, they really, really like fast cars and roller coasters.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #8243
slcboston

Quote:
It balances out the aggression when we continually hurt/temporarily neuter ourselves.

FleasTwits
Old 03-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #8244
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

jallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEpic View Post

EPIC!

*tackle hug*

we missed you! we figured your sister had killed you and buried you in the back yard. Not that that precluded your return (in handy z-person form). It just slowed you down.

Fortuna - my Space Pirates! audio drama

This is my pen name on Facebook. And this is my pen name on Twitter.

Blog Post for 10/27/14: Fortuna Cat Like Tread Part Five
Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #8245
GreenEpic
...because you don't know yourself

GreenEpic leaves trails of profuse coolnessGreenEpic leaves trails of profuse coolnessGreenEpic leaves trails of profuse coolnessGreenEpic leaves trails of profuse coolnessGreenEpic leaves trails of profuse coolness
I survived Kricket's rage. (We all know shes a little ).

An epic this verdant cannot be squashed!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #8246
Debio
Joining the insect army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEpic View Post

Well, since by the rules, people in the Cantina don't suck, you must not. Either that or your suckiness ended before you came in. Which means, since I am meeting you for the first time, any suckiness that existed before now, is only a figment of my imagination. I shall therefore decide it doesn't exist, and never did. So there

Quote:
It balances out the aggression when we continually hurt/temporarily neuter ourselves.

Watching those video clips, I often find myself praying that they would neuter themselves....And I'm agnostic.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #8247
Nakhlasmoke
yes

Nakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
hey hey!

I tried to post yesterday, but I can't find my post? SO I guess it got ated somehow.

TO recap: THANKS for the release-day love!

And WOOOO SPACE PIRATE YES PLEASE

morning.

House of Sand and Secrets

Mother, Crone, Maiden - a Tor short story set just before When the Sea is Rising Red.

blog and twitter

Old 03-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #8248
10trackers
Pollyanna

10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Dudes, I was having breakfast while backreading.

Blog

New Blog Post: Inside the WIP Machine
Older Blog Post: Writing with a chronic illness

Short sexy stories: A Spank in Time, published by Blushing Books

Projects:
The Saga of EvilPants: querying
TRUE COLORS: 90/100K

Cobra Ultraviolent Badge Of Honor:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post
To the characters in your stories, you're a big death-ray of sunshine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post

10s
Old 03-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #8249
hillaryjacques
Undercover, sort of...

hillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
Dudes, I was having breakfast while backreading.
Do space pirates make you ill?
Old 03-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #8250
eyeblink
I blink

eyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakhlasmoke View Post
hey hey!

I tried to post yesterday, but I can't find my post? SO I guess it got ated somehow.

TO recap: THANKS for the release-day love!

And WOOOO SPACE PIRATE YES PLEASE

morning.
Amazon UK have despatched my copy! It's approaching ever nearer, it's coming up the road, it's nearly at my letterbox...

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (contemporary 14+ YA novel) - 75,254 words complete draft. Agent-hunting.

Conor and Me (working title, 14+ YA) 28,814 words and counting

"Mourning Becomes Me" (novella) final version 30,112 words and counting
Closed Thread