March Writing Prompt

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This month's challenge is all about setting! Write a short story/chapter/poem/whatever that takes place at one of the following locations:

1. The subway.
2. A farm.
3. Near water or on water.
4. At a fast food restaurant.
5. The desert.

Remember, this challenge is about setting. Make us feel like we're there.

Have fun! :D

(Post your responses in Share Your Work. Remember to drop a note in this thread letting us know you've done so.)

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Come on, guys and gals! Get those brains working and those fingers moving. I think I'm going to try to work on the prompt this week. I'll probably do prompt #3, since I desperately need a vacation, and wish I was at the beach. :D

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*subscribes to thread*

I know, I've said I'd try before... I'll say again and see what happens!

:)

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I look forward to seeing your response, Cella. :)

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Smish:hi:
I've been popping in but can't remember the last time I had a chance to scribble anything on paper. I like the prompt and the setting ideas and will try and come back with something.

Hope to see y'all soon!

:TheWave:

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a go at the desert setting. Looks like I'm the first, hope I'm not the last

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a go at the desert setting. Looks like I'm the first, hope I'm not the last

Good job setting the scene, jilly. And good job on being the first to tackle the prompt. :Thumbs:

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
grandma, the prompt responses should be geared toward kids, since this is the Writing for Kids room. However, if you find inspiration for an adult story, that's good, too! The prompts are just here to inspire. :)

You'll need 50 posts before you can post in SYW. However, if you post your response in this thread and report the post (click on the little triangle to the left of the post and type in: "Needs to be moved to SYW"), I'll come along and move it to SYW for you. We let everyone participate in prompts, even if they just have 1 post under their belt. :)

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Prompts make me sad. :(

I always want to participate because they look like they have so much potential for good stories... but I'm just not a short story writer. I think about something and it just doesn't end, not at a postable length, anyway... I don't have the ability to wrap it up and do the twist and resolve it all within a few thousand words.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Prompts make me sad. :(

I always want to participate because they look like they have so much potential for good stories... but I'm just not a short story writer. I think about something and it just doesn't end, not at a postable length, anyway... I don't have the ability to wrap it up and do the twist and resolve it all within a few thousand words.

My prompt responses are often more like chapters. Sometimes, they're first chapters to possible novels. Other times, they're chapters in pieces I'm already working on. It doesn't have to be a short story. :)

grandma

storytime grandma
Registered
Reaction score
Website
storytimegrandma.blogspot.com
Thanks for the answer. I write for children and will definitely (how do you spell that word it never looks right) anyway when I get back to town tonight I will give the farm a try.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
My prompt responses are often more like chapters. Sometimes, they're first chapters to possible novels. Other times, they're chapters in pieces I'm already working on. It doesn't have to be a short story. :)

Now prompts make me sad because I sense I don't know how to properly construct a chapter. ;)

(I should do one, though. I've been here since 2010 and still haven't gotten any feedback on anything.)

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now prompts make me sad because I sense I don't know how to properly construct a chapter. ;)

(I should do one, though. I've been here since 2010 and still haven't gotten any feedback on anything.)

Good grief. Stop being sad! :D :TheWave:

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I posted mine. It's my best work, I think. Or my worst. I'm my own worst judge.

Thanks for the prompt, Smish. Writing about setting is not my strong point, so it was fun to work on that. I hope more of you post something, too!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
So I've decided I'm going to give this a try this month. I've only just started drafting, though (and with less than two weeks to finish). I picked fast food restaurant, and so far, it's possibly the stupidist, least-plausible thing I've ever written. Does it matter if it's awful?