Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > New Members
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 03:40 AM   #5251
Fallen Angel
Banned

Fallen Angel is a shiny, shiny jewelFallen Angel is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
I can't answer what I don't know about.

I'm not familiar with this fictional land at all.

So... details?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture
Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #5252
Talltree
Good readers make good writers

Talltree is a splendid one to beholdTalltree is a splendid one to beholdTalltree is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Inspired by our last question, no less. We may actually be running the risk of having a theme here.

If you could visit any fictional land, where would you go?

Well, I don't know if it cand be considered a separate fictional land, but I've always wanted to visit, explore and (possibly do a guest lecture in ) Hogwarts.
Talltree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #5253
Charles Farley
Bango Skank

Charles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Derry, Maine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWest View Post
*becomes hopelessly enmeshed in the narcissism*
Charles Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #5254
slcboston
word-slinger

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Farley View Post
Derry, Maine.
Dude, you are a brave, brave man.

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
slcboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #5255
slcboston
word-slinger

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
New QotW

Seeing as we are all writers here, or at least aspiring writers, I thought I'd ask a writing-related question:

What's the one genre you've always wanted to try to write, but isn't the genre you normally write for?

For example, I normally stick to horror and/or sci-fi, but I've always wanted to pen either a western or a historical fiction piece along the lines of James Fenimore Cooper.

I like Western movies, but for some reason have never attempted to write in that genre. Yet.

FleasTwits
Old 02-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #5256
SaraP
Daydreaming of love...
AW Moderator

SaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I would love to write a whodunit. Not so easy when you're a pantser.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

It takes strength to be gentle and kind

The Smiths

Life getting you down? Come get a pick-me-up.
SaraP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #5257
pyrosama
Pyrosama

pyrosama is on a distinguished road
I'm working on my fiction, 3 or 4 chapters into it, but I love to write on my blog more. Any ideas on how to get back to my work?

Are We There Yet?

Facebook and Twitter
pyrosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #5258
slcboston
word-slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrosama View Post
I'm working on my fiction, 3 or 4 chapters into it, but I love to write on my blog more. Any ideas on how to get back to my work?
Pick something in a different genre. Keep it short. Get it finished while thinking in new directions.

And then answer the question here and tell us about it.

FleasTwits
Old 03-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #5259
malkin
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

malkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What's the one genre you've always wanted to try to write, but isn't the genre you normally write for?

Historical mystery.

malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #5260
no-man's-land
practical experience, FTW

no-man's-land is on a distinguished road
Newbie Question-of-the-Week ?

Do yo find Shakespeare dull and boring?
no-man's-land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #5261
mugwort

mugwort is on a distinguished road

That's a hard question since I don't like either choice. To me its like being questioned. What do you prefer more. Laying on a bed or nails or being dropped in acid. Okay here's my choice. Deep in the ocean. At least I won't be wasting my time like NASA is doing with the space program. There's enough problems on earth like homelessness, finding cures or treatments for diseases, the environment. My question is can the Space program help these issues and can they do it more efficiently than other methods.
mugwort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #5262
Ygramul

Ygramul is on a distinguished road
I like some of Shakespeare's plays, but I don't like the poetry.
Ygramul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:57 AM   #5263
sparnols
figuring it all out

sparnols is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by no-man's-land View Post
Newbie Question-of-the-Week ?

I do believe that whether or not a person is intrested in his writing is all in the interpretations of it. If you are one of those people who understand his language it can be beautiful, whitty, tragic and inspireing.
sparnols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:11 AM   #5264
willowrose
bada bing bada boom

willowrose is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Mystery. Mystery writers keep me in awe. ;p I would love a try at it but it's too much of a mystery to me!! :/
Old 03-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #5265
no-man's-land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygramul View Post
I like some of Shakespeare's plays, but I don't like the poetry.
I agree.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:57 AM   #5266
no-man's-land

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparnols View Post
I do believe that whether or not a person is intrested in his writing is all in the interpretations of it. If you are one of those people who understand his language it can be beautiful, whitty, tragic and inspireing.
Well a key word is "interpretation". My local library offers Shakespeare's books with one page written in Shakespeare language and on the following page the nowadays English translation of the same text of the previous page.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:05 AM   #5267
BlackHeart

BlackHeart is on a distinguished road
I like it...

Jovial and inviting. Just the thing for someone like me, who doesn't know where to begin most always, so I don't. Thanks for that.

To answer the question: Space. Definately space.

Why? I'm sure there are some cool things yet to discover in the murky depths and the opaque beyond, but we already have some concept of what we'll find, and chances are slim to none we'll be higher on the evolutionary scale than what lies beneath. Whatever's down there probably won't have any profound knowledge to impart or insights to share. Either way, the more inspiring we find it, the more we'll exploit it- drain it till there's nothing left but an empty shell of what once was. It's what we do.

No, give me the complete unknown. Something that holds the hope of making us less wicked. Something we can't conceive...
BlackHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #5268
slcboston
word-slinger

Quote:
Seeing as we are all writers here, or at least aspiring writers, I thought I'd ask a writing-related question:

Quote:
So does this mean your answer is period 16th century sonnets and plays?

FleasTwits
Old 03-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #5269
slcboston
word-slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkin View Post
Historical mystery.
Like Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, or not that far back in history?

FleasTwits
Old 03-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #5270
sparnols
figuring it all out

Quote:
Well a key word is "interpretation". My local library offers Shakespeare's books with one page written in Shakespeare language and on the following page the nowadays English translation of the same text of the previous page.
This is true. I guess I'm one of those that prefer the origional versions. I do actually own the Complete Illistrated Shakespere. I bought it when my oldest was doing an essay on him in school so that he would understand what he was reading. Well that was my exscuse anyway and I am sticking to it.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #5271
sparnols
figuring it all out

Quote:

Thats easy Crime/Thriller.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #5272
slcboston
word-slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparnols View Post
Thats easy Crime/Thriller.
And what genre is it you normally write in?

FleasTwits
Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #5273
sparnols
figuring it all out

Quote:
And what genre is it you normally write in?

Poetry or Paranormal. I have a degree in crimal justice however and am inrigued by the criminal mind. still no matter how many times I try, It just does not come to life as it should.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #5274
Brendargh

Brendargh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I greatly admire Neal Stephenson and William Gibson for their ability to tie a lot of research into complex stories. I normally write fantasy or horror, but I would love to write a cyberpunk or alternate history novel someday.
Brendargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #5275
SleepAbsence

SleepAbsence is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is tough. I think a cultural narrative like Cisneros writes or Isabel Allende. With a bit of romance but also a cultural voice that is Latino/a in nature.

As for Shakespeare, I mostly like it; except for the Henry plays, I tend to be partial to the comedies but I also appreciate tragedies like Hamlet.
SleepAbsence is offline   Reply With Quote