Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > General Publishing Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
Christyp
Lizard Lady

Christyp has a spectacular aura
Do E-publishers pay an advance?

I searched through the boards but couldn't find the answer to this. While I'm aware most authors (especially newly published ones) won't receive much upfront, I was curious as to whether e-pubs pay any advance at all...

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Christyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
J. Tanner
practical experience, FTW

J. Tanner is a shiny, shiny jewelJ. Tanner is a shiny, shiny jewel
From dinking around on Duotrope and hearing anecdotal accounts it seems most do not. I'm sure there's a small press out there that does if you do enough research but it's probably not high enough to be worth considering over other factors.

Latest Publication: "Bring Me the Head of Pepe Cortez!" in Return of the Dead Men Walking (anthlogy)
Latest Sale: "Reunion Soup" to [title unannounced] fantasy anthology coming somewhenish
J. Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #3
Christyp
Lizard Lady

Thanks, J Tanner. That's kind of what I'm thinking as I can only find info on royalties, but not advances.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #4
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A few pay a modest advance (like $100), one or two pay a substantial advance on a case by case basis (like when reprinted in a well-known author, or for a best seller).
Old 11-04-2011, 02:31 AM   #5
scarletpeaches
Banned

scarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Loose Id pay an advance, but only for novels of 55-70k words. That's the only epublisher I've heard of offering advances. Not that it makes any difference in the end; you still have to earn out. I'd rather just have the royalties paid after the book's published.
scarletpeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:54 AM   #6
areteus

areteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admiration
I certainly would not expect any royalties from a small press and even the big publishers are giving them out less and less these days. A royalty is the publisher placing a bet on how well they think your novel will sell (they are hoping it will sell enough so they can reclaim the money they bet plus a sizeable amount on top of that) and in this economy they are wary of taking that risk. As scarlet says, better to have the royalties for both parties - that way no one loses out if sales are bad.
areteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #7
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

Jersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by areteus View Post
I certainly would not expect any royalties from a small press and even the big publishers are giving them out less and less these days. A royalty is the publisher placing a bet on how well they think your novel will sell (they are hoping it will sell enough so they can reclaim the money they bet plus a sizeable amount on top of that) and in this economy they are wary of taking that risk. As scarlet says, better to have the royalties for both parties - that way no one loses out if sales are bad.
I think you're confusing royalties with an advance. An advance is an advance against royalties. You have to earn out the advance before you receive royalties.

Samhain used to offer an advance, but they don't any longer. It was optional and apparently the majority opted NOT to receive one.

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website

Last edited by Jersey Chick; 11-04-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Jersey Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:14 AM   #8
Dee Carney
Bringing sexy back

Dee Carney is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christyp View Post
I searched through the boards but couldn't find the answer to this. While I'm aware most authors (especially newly published ones) won't receive much upfront, I was curious as to whether e-pubs pay any advance at all...

Does anyone know the answer to this?
The only ones I can think of that pay an advance are Loose Id (as stated previously) and Noble Romance (although I'm not sure if this has gone away ).

Also, keep in mind that one of the reasons most epubs don't pay advances is that royalties are usually paid either monthly or quarterly. In other words, you're getting your money a lot sooner, so advancing you in November for royalties that might be paid in January isn't worth the hassle.
Dee Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
Shara
Fix it in the Rewrite

Shara is a glorious beacon of lightShara is a glorious beacon of light
My experience with my e-publisher is that they don't pay advances. They do, however, pay monthly royalties, which is paid to me via Paypal and I get them pretty promptly.

MY BOOKS:

Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletpeaches View Post
Loose Id pay an advance, but only for novels of 55-70k words. That's the only epublisher I've heard of offering advances. Not that it makes any difference in the end; you still have to earn out. I'd rather just have the royalties paid after the book's published.
I don't recall Loose Id ever offering me an advance? Samhain has it as an option but given that I make it back in the first check, I don't bother.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
scarletpeaches
Banned

scarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
As others have said, Samhain have stopped offering advances. Loose Id only give them for books within a certain word count limit (for some reason).
scarletpeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #12
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

I've written them some at that length, maybe it was offered and I forgot, or they did....
Old 11-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #13
VoireyLinger
Angel Wing Fetish

VoireyLinger is a glorious beacon of lightVoireyLinger is a glorious beacon of light
I remember Angela James (before she left) saying that the advance at Samhain had been discontinued because most authors opted to only get royalties.

I don't expect an advance with e-publishers. Those offered are usually modest, and with the payment schedules of most epubs, you aren't waiting long for a check.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #14
areteus

areteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Chick View Post
I think you're confusing royalties with an advance. An advance is an advance against royalties. You have to earn out the advance before you receive royalties.

Samhain used to offer an advance, but they don't any longer. It was optional and apparently the majority opted NOT to receive one.
In my brain I wrote Advance but somehow that got turned into royalties in the written form... *I* knew what I meant to say, you lot should be psychic enough to know it too
areteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #15
Christyp
Lizard Lady

The more I read the more I think the payment schedules are way better with e-pubs than the whole advance thing with print pubs.

I posed the same question over at WD and received a "why are you bothering with e-pubs? Just pub yourself." from a member who had been banned from here. I guess I knew someone would eventually pose that question to me...

Old 11-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #16
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

Monthly is nice. But the average ebook is still selling maybe 1-2000 copies total.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:15 AM   #17
Captcha
Hmmm... I think I disagree.

Captcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Dreamspinner gives an advance on novels. $500 - $1 000, I think.
Captcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:21 AM   #18
VoireyLinger
Angel Wing Fetish

VoireyLinger is a glorious beacon of lightVoireyLinger is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
Monthly is nice. But the average ebook is still selling maybe 1-2000 copies total.
There is the tradeoff of no shelf life on the books, though. No returns and the books can be available for years to come. When you look at the low advances for some new authors at some houses, amounts held against returns, and all the other factors, 2K copies at 35% to 40% cover can put them ahead.

Any book is a crapshoot. Too many variables to really say how things will pan out.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:38 AM   #19
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

Some of the variables have pretty clear effects. Like Random House versus Club Lighthouse.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #20
gingerwoman
Wicked Safari release date March3rd

gingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admiration
Loose ID don't still pay an advance do they? And Dreamspinner is doing that and the authors earn it out?

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/
gingerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #21
Captcha
Hmmm... I think I disagree.

Captcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I assume the authors at DSP earn out. I think they give the smaller advances to unproven authors, and then when you've sold well for a couple books they bump you to the bigger advance. Depending on timing, I generally earn out in the second quarter after release, and with the long tail on e-books, I assume that almost everyone earns out sooner or later...
Captcha is offline   Reply With Quote