Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2011, 05:50 AM   #1
alleycat
"Do we need tuna?"
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If You Can't Post In Share Your Work or Other Password Protected Forums

If you can't post in Share Your Work (SYW), or log into other password protect forums, try this:

1. Be sure you're putting in the password correctly; the passwords are case sensitive.

Except for the Erotica SYW forum, all passwords are listed on the main forum page. For the Erotica SYW forum, you will need to send a Private Message (PM) to one of the forum moderators or administrators starting your age; if you're approved, they will then send you the password, as per this message on the Erotica SYW forum:

Quote:
The password to this forum can ONLY be obtained via a PM request with a statement that you're over 21, to Veinglory, ELMontague, or one of the administrators, AWAdmin or MacAllister
2. Share Your Work requires 50 posts before someone can start a thread there. You can still post a reply there if you don't have 50 posts, but you can't start a new thread.

If you have 50 posts and still can't start a thread in SYW, wait an hour and try again. The server updates the database about every hour and it can take that long to recognize that someone has 50 posts. Be patient.

3. If you still can't log in to a password protected forum, try logging out of AW, cleaning out your cookies and cache, and then logging in again.

If you still can't log in, AND you're using Internet Explorer, try this: Go to Tools > Internet Options > General (tab) > Browsing History > Delete, and put a check in the boxes for Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, and History, then click Delete. If you have Absolute Write on your Favorites Bar, then UNCHECK the box to Preserve Favorites Website Data then click Delete OR (if you don't want to remove the data for all websites) remove AW from the Favorite Bar (right click Absolute Write on the Favorites bar and select delete), and then delete the Temporary Files, Cookies, and History files (leave a check in Preserve Favorites in this case), then log back into AW and put it back on your Favorites Bar.

If you lose AW in your favorites, go to http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/ and you'll be back to the main page.

4. If you still can't log in, post a reply to this thread and we'll try to help you. It will help if you tell us what computer operating system you're using (Windows Seven, Mac, etc.) and what browser and browser version you're using (Internet Explorer 8). To find what version you're using, click Help on the menubar of your browser > About -- it will tell you what version you have.

SEE ALSO THIS THREAD IN FAQs: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=220379

Last edited by alleycat; 07-30-2011 at 04:10 AM.
alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel G View Post
I'd like to join the chat rooms, it's asking me for a password
--Ariel G
Which chat room are you trying to join?

Did you read the FAQ?

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
jilly61
aye aye in search of an agent

jilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've tried all of the above. The computers set to allow all cookies and I'm using windows Internet explorer 8. I've never had any problems before but this has got me beat. Any ideas?

Course you could always go straight to Amazon.
jilly61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
alleycat
"Do we need tuna?"
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly61 View Post
I've tried all of the above. The computers set to allow all cookies and I'm using windows Internet explorer 8. I've never had any problems before but this has got me beat. Any ideas?
Before we try some other things, have you tried cleaning out all your cookies and cache (I assume you've tried this already), then rebooting your computer.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
jilly61
aye aye in search of an agent

jilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjilly61 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
rebooting seems to have done the trick. Fingers crossed it stays this way.

Course you could always go straight to Amazon.
jilly61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
Nonuw
taking time to smell the flowers

Nonuw is on a distinguished road
Hi - please help. I've been trying to access the SYW - Mystery thread, but cannot. The message says that administrator wants my passord, and when I put my login password in - it says incorrect. I've cleared the cookies, rebooted computer - and it's still not letting me access the forum.

I'm using windows 7, internet explorer 8. Not sure what to do :-(

Thanks
Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
Nonuw
taking time to smell the flowers

Nonuw is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

I figured it out - sorry for bother.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For those who find going through their computer and clearing out the kibble too much of a hassle, I suggest ccleaner. It gets rid of a lot of useless bits and pieces on your hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:07 AM   #9
alleycat
"Do we need tuna?"
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
For those who find going through their computer and clearing out the kibble too much of a hassle, I suggest ccleaner. It gets rid of a lot of useless bits and pieces on your hard drive.
Yep. I use both ATF and CCleaner.

Last edited by alleycat; 05-01-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
MrZiggles
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

MrZiggles is on a distinguished road
I can't get into the poetry lab. I've logged out and cleared my cookies a few times. And I've rebooted my computer.

I managed to get into the Flash Fiction one after logging out and clearing my cookies. So I'm not sure what has changed since then.

PC - Windows 7.
MrZiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
poetinahat
nice to jerks
SuperModerator

poetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Poetry password = citrus - is that what you were using?
poetinahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #12
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Whereas I've never had a problem before, I can't go into the passowrd forums.

On my new computer with Windows 7 and IE 9.

I logged out, and then logged back in. Now I am logged in. Cookies enabled and on low setting. I've cleaned out my cookies and temp internet files and restarted my computer.

I cannot get into any of the passowrd protected forums with the appropriate passwords. I see they are all lower case, but I tried it in all caps anyway.

Any suggestions?

ETA: resolved. Unchecking the "preserve favorite website data" after clearning all the cookies, internet files, ect. did the trick.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #13
CoolBlue
I'm not a child! Give back my toy!

CoolBlue is on a distinguished road
How long is reasonable to wait for a response for a PW from a moderator?

I understand mods have lives too, just wondered what is OK before looking for lost messages.

Thanks
CB

Still a fool, after all these years
CoolBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You could check to see if the mod you PMed has logged in since you sent your message; or you could forward the PM to me, if you like, and I'll do what I can to help.

Make sure you've sent a PM: it's easy to confuse PMs and visitor messages, which aren't so obvious when they arrive.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:33 AM   #15
CoolBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
You could check to see if the mod you PMed has logged in since you sent your message; or you could forward the PM to me, if you like, and I'll do what I can to help.

Make sure you've sent a PM: it's easy to confuse PMs and visitor messages, which aren't so obvious when they arrive.
Thanks, Old Hack.

I believe it was a PM from the mods profile page. How do I tell now it's sent?

I will forward the PM.

Thanks again.

CB

Old 11-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #16
CoolBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlue View Post
Thanks, Old Hack.

I believe it was a PM from the mods profile page. How do I tell now it's sent?

I will forward the PM.

Thanks again.

CB
Thanks for the help, the password has been received,
CB