Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Jold
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Jold is on a distinguished road
Genre Question: Is getting published science fiction or fantasy

I'm wondering if the idea of getting my novel published fits into the science fiction genre or if it fits better on the fantasy side of the aisle. If science fiction, that implies it is something that may happen someday in the future, even if long after I am gone from this world. If fantasy, then I guess that means it will require the intervention of some form of magic or perhaps the re-awakening of an elder god to ever happen.

I won't push this into further exploration of sub-genres--hard vs. soft, etc. Perhaps some of my fellow writers can relate to the feeling, though.
Jold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Polenth
Mushroom

Polenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's not a good idea to think of getting published as either fantasy or science fiction. That sort of thinking leads to the quest for the magic button, where you're sure if you find it, one press will get you published. But reality doesn't have magic buttons. Just because someone got a book published with purple aliens from Mars doesn't mean purple aliens are the magic button. Someone getting an agent by meeting them at a conference doesn't mean attending a conference is a magic button.

But if you think there are magic buttons, you'll copy these things, fail, and then say, "I don't understand... it worked for them!"

It's better to think of it as reality, where you have to work hard and accept that the factors for success are complex.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads
Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel
Polenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jold View Post
I'm wondering if the idea of getting my novel published fits into the science fiction genre or if it fits better on the fantasy side of the aisle.
What is your novel about?

caw
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
kiwiviktor81
Cough up blood. Laugh, light cig

kiwiviktor81 is on a distinguished road
Just call it "science fantasy" and see what happens.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
twright
figuring it all out

twright is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm wondering if the idea of getting my novel published fits into the science fiction genre or if it fits better on the fantasy side of the aisle. If science fiction, that implies it is something that may happen someday in the future, even if long after I am gone from this world. If fantasy, then I guess that means it will require the intervention of some form of magic or perhaps the re-awakening of an elder god to ever happen.

I won't push this into further exploration of sub-genres--hard vs. soft, etc. Perhaps some of my fellow writers can relate to the feeling, though.
I kind of like the idea of thinking about it as SF. It may be more a matter of luck, so that seems to imply a quantum element, eh?

The option of fantasy doesn't work for me. That implies magic, and I don't think there's any magic behind getting published. Lot's of hard work, time and sometimes brutal self-honesty, but no magic.

Personally, I think there's an alternate reality where it DOES get published, so I just need to figure out how to get my time line to sync up with *that* one.
twright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Nimram
sometimes woefully inaccurate

Nimram is well-respected
Quote:
I'm wondering if the idea of getting my novel published fits into the science fiction genre or if it fits better on the fantasy side of the aisle.
Since we didn't read your novel we could not say. Make it to 50 posts and use SYW section...uh...is that what are you doing here?
Old 04-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Katrina S. Forest
I'm already a real writer.

Katrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for President
A new author getting published, if we must put it to a genre, is neither fantasy nor science fiction. It is realistic fiction.

It can happen, it has happened, and barring the end of the world as we know it, it will continue to happen.

Go out there and make yourself one of the protagonists who accomplishes it.

"An honest answer is like a warm hug." - Proverbs 24:26 (The Message)

My Every Day Fiction stories
Katrina S. Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
Lhipenwhe
Moving with my soul, step by step

Lhipenwhe has a spectacular aura
Quote:
I wouldn't say that science fiction implies something might be feasible nowadays. As an example, backwards time travel is impossible as it would break several laws of the universe. I'd also say that 'magic' has occasionally appeared in science fiction as well, the most famous example being Star Wars.

In essence, I think the trappings of the story helps define the genre of the media piece, even if the boundaries have become more mutable as of late. Also, this quote by Arthur C. Clarke seems (somehow) relevant:

Quote:
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke

-
The Nameless One, Planescape: Torment

Lhipenwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I take you mean is the process of getting published SF or fantasy?

Neither

More like a whodunnit - once you know all the clues, who did it is a lot easier to figure out.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
RobJ
Banned

RobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for President
Quote:
At the moment the idea of having your novel published is just a dream. Dreams are cliche. Let's not go there.

If it's a fantasy, your parents are not really your parents. You're a prince, given up at birth for some fairly traditional and unimportant reason, and you're going to have to put up with a lot of shit to get your throne back. You will get it back, but the sooner you learn to handle a sword and ride a horse-like beast the better.

If it's science fiction, anything can happen, and probably will. But whatever happens, remember that:
- nothing is really quite what it appears to be
- you don't need to use the loo anymore
- right at the end it will all come good using some technology that was hinted at all along but only became significant at that vital moment

Good luck.
RobJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:56 AM   #11
Jold
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Jold is on a distinguished road
Good points, all.

I particularly enjoy the suggestion of alternate history. It may have already happened in another universe. Indeed, it almost has to have happened in some reality. This gives me great pleasure.

[I was attempting to make a joke, in case I didn't make that obvious. I appreciate all the responses. : )]
Jold is offline   Reply With Quote