Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Writing For Kids
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #76
sissybaby
practical experience, FTW

sissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthood
OMG! Hilarious. I don't know if that's original work, but I certainly have never heard it before.
sissybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #77
mar quest
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

mar quest is on a distinguished road
I love, love, love it.
mar quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 AM   #78
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Bumping, just for fun.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #79
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It was Miss Suzie in San Diego

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising

Hero/Villain: Tweaking needed
Super/Human: First draft done!
Master/Puppet: 832/65,000

My Countdown to 2015 (Not-Exactly-)Flash Fiction Challenge thread (password: flashed)
Come play!

This week, I'm in: San Diego!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #80
Smish
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Shut it, Sage.

Quoting this again, because I love it so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaJG View Post
Okay, I know this steamboat subject has sailed, so to speak, but I was feeling bad for Smish, since she was the only one to remember Sally. So, I did a little research, and unearthed this old ditty that tells the true tale about the ownership of the steamboat. I hope this doesn't get me kicked out of the kid's section.

Miss Susie vs. Sally - The Cagematch (or, Who Really Owns That Boat)

Miss Susie had a steamboat
With railings made of brass
When Sally tried to steal it
Suze kicked her in the

Asking: “What’s your problem?
You want a taste of oar?
Sally, you’re deluded
You thieving little . . . “

Horses at the dock now
Sal’s hubby at the hitch
“Miss Susie, you are dead meat
My God, you're such a –

“Betcha didn’t know this,”
The oar now makes a swoosh
“Your husband sold the boat to me.
He’s really quite a-“

Do shellfish make good weapons?
Miss Suzie must admit
An oyster can sting plenty
When it hits you in the-

Titillating fight scene
Greets hubby at the dock
“Man, you girls are sexy.”
Sal kicks him in the-

Cockapoo barks loudly
Hubby screams and falls
Suzie looks at Sally
“You kicked him in the-”

Balsa wood is soft and light
Not really good to hit
Sally throws the boomerang
“Perverted piece of . . . “

Shih-tzus join in barking
Hubby’s looking plastered
“I should have left him years ago
The guy is such a . . .

Jerk.”
Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #81
Sage
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, but, interestingly, I have the same problem as Sheila for my MG.

For In a Pear Tree, I used made up swear words using Christmas- or winter-related words. "Jingle Bells" and "Leapin' reindeer" for surprise. And then I have "Snowballs" as sort of a replacement for exclamations for bad things. But I'm unsure about the "balls" part of it...

Originally I also had the grumpy elf say "blowin'" a lot as an adjective, meaning it to refer to blowing wind and snow, but I changed that one to "blasted" because it was too close to real adult terms.

My Countdown to 2015 (Not-Exactly-)Flash Fiction Challenge thread (password: flashed)
Come play!

Old 09-14-2011, 07:37 AM   #82
Smish
AW Moderator

If your books fall in that upper-MG/tween range, you can get away with a lot more. As Shady mentioned earlier, there's some swearing in When You Reach Me. There's also swearing in Olive's Ocean, which is a Newbery Honor book (I recall both "prick" and "assholes", specifically) and Shug.

I wouldn't worry about "snowballs". And fwiw, it's funny.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #83
Sage
AW Moderator

Yay, thanks

Come play!

Old 09-15-2011, 04:34 AM   #84
SheilaJG

SheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthood
Sadly, that's my best work . . .

(Oh, my boys were watching a Nickelodeon show about some kids at a performing arts school and they were doing a production called "Steamboat Suzie" - Ha! Another vote for Suzie! I did, in fact, laugh out loud).

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency
Twitter
SheilaJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:50 AM   #85
Smish
AW Moderator

Old 09-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #86
Laura J
Odessa Quinn

Laura J is well-respected
I was going to have one of my characters "swear in Portuguese" (she know many languages). I wasn't going to say the swear, but just that she swore. It is a MG novel.

Oh, and it is Miss Lucy. (Georgia girl)
Laura J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #87
Ferret
Dook!

Ferret is a glorious beacon of lightFerret is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura J View Post

Oh, and it is Miss Lucy.
You just got here and already you're trying to start a fight?
Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #88
Smish
AW Moderator

Bumping for Sally's sake.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #89
sissybaby

sissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthood
Smish - this one hit me in the head this morning after reading your bump.

I know this pales in comparison, but since we're all cat lovers here, I thought I'd share.

Hannah had a hairball
She coughed it on the floor
Father found it in the night
And yelled, “you stupid

Hoarder of the food bowl!
I’ll get you, cat, for this.”
He took another awkward step
And landed in some

Pistachios and walnuts
That Hannah thought were bells.
Father slid across the floor
While screaming, “Get the

Hello Kitty out of here.
I mean it, cat, that’s it.”
Hannah sauntered up to dad
And bit him on the

Tip of one long finger.
He cried and said, “That’s all!”
But Hannah smiled and bared her teeth
And bit him on the

Balsamic vinegar
Is great on cabbage stew.
If Father treated you like that
Please tell us what you’d do.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:43 AM   #90
Smish
AW Moderator

That's great, sissy! I love the kidlit gang. You guys are all so darned funny and creative.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #91
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Genius. If there were a market for filthy children's songs, that would be a sure sale
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #92
MsJudy

MsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, my. All it needs are illustrations.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #93
RuthD
careful...you'll end up in my novel

RuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolness
Oh, Sissy! That is very ... creative!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #94
SheilaJG

SheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthood
What a great way to start my day! Love it, Sissy!

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency
Twitter
SheilaJG is offline   Reply With Quote