Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Bio, Autobio, and Memoir
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
sense
figuring it all out

sense is on a distinguished road
Magazines or journals that publish memoir shorts?

Recently I've been thinking about trying to submit a memoir short or a chapter from my memoir to magazines or journals that might be receptive to this kind of stuff.

Anybody else contemplated, researched, or tried this? What are the pros and cons? Also, what are some magazines/journals that publish them?
sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
sense
figuring it all out

sense is on a distinguished road
Short memoir? Any mags, journals publish these?

I'm writing a memoir and maybe I'm just being impatient, but I've been wondering lately if it would be possible to submit a chapter or a memoir short to a magazine or journal that may be receptive to this kind of stuff.

Anybody know the pros and cons to doing this (with regards to later trying to publish the memoir in its entirety)? Also, anybody know what the best titles are of mags or journals that are open to memoir?
sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Siri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I've tried it without success. Except: I am sometimes asked to write something for the local newspaper. I don't get paid for it, but I do get exposure.

Primary problem: Paying markets are hard to get into, and markets that are easier to get into don't usually pay.

If you can get a short piece published in a paying market, and if that paying market is prestigious, that does bode well for the successful of your ms. But it isn't necessary.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 04-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Siri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Oh, yes, there's a sticky with info on markets in this forum. Probably hasn't been updated for awhile, since this neck of the AW woods is rather untravelled. But it would be a start.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 04-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #5
Lavinia
practical experience, FTW

Lavinia is a glorious beacon of lightLavinia is a glorious beacon of lightLavinia is a glorious beacon of light
I had something that was sort of a short (very short) version of my memoir published on a well-traveled website. When I finally got a contract, my publisher had no problem with that. Timing is important though. I don't know if I'd want to pub my best writing on the subject out there until it can be used for the promotion of the about-to-be-published book. Does that make sense? That's just me though.

I've also heard of people getting published in Guideposts or Reader's Digest and having a publisher or agent contact them after reading the article. So, I guess, like everything in this biz -- there are many ways to go about it. ~Karen

Breaking the Code: a Father's Secret, a Daughter's Journey, and the Question That Changed Everything (Sourcebooks 2011), http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Code-Daughters-Question-Everything
NPR interview: http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPl...71&m=142072750
Lavinia is offline   Reply With Quote