Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Western
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
bkendall
practical experience, FTW

bkendall is well-respected
May/June 2012 prompt

So here we go. This is the official western forum thread for the May 2012 prompt. The following topics will be our prompts for the month:

1. Independence/freedom

2. Some for money, some for love, some for no reason at all

There will not be a word limit but I would suggest keeping it under the 2500 word mark to increase readers.

Writers who wish to post, please include an approximate word count and applicable content warnings. Due date is May 31, 2012.

Further questions or concerns can be posted in this thread or PMed to myself.

It's ok. Just call me bk.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's already made up!-Ralph Waldo Emerson

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.-Albert Einstein
bkendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
bkendall

I just wanted to put a feeler out there. How goes the writing for this prompt? Any success? I hope it's going better for you than it is for me. I need to hunker down tomorrow and scrape something together.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Puma
Retired and loving it!

Puma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Haven't started, bk. I have some other things I need to finish before I can put something together. But, I plan to get around to it. Puma
Old 05-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
bkendall

I just finished writing about half of my first draft. I never expected to go this route when I presented the topics this month. Anyway, I look forward to reading some from the rest of you.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
Puma
Retired and loving it!

Puma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Busy month and not much writing time - but, I posted a short in Western SYW this morning for the May prompt. It's basically a first draft and needs a lot of fleshing out and more added to it. But - May's almost over and I wanted to get something up. Puma
Old 05-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
bkendall

I'm very proud of you puma. I will go give it a look right now. Unfortunately, I let life get in the way of my writing. Do we have someone for June?

Old 06-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
Puma
Retired and loving it!

Mine's the only post for May. Been pretty lonesome in western. I don't see why we can't leave your topics up for another month. Puma
Old 06-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
bkendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Mine's the only post for May. Been pretty lonesome in western. I don't see why we can't leave your topics up for another month. Puma
I would second this motion unless someone has another idea they would like to work on. Speak now (or at least in the next few days) or forever hold your peace. Thoughts? Anyone?

Old 06-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
shakeysix
blue eyed floozy

shakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
ok, so the prompts till june 30 are the two listed for may, right?--s6
shakeysix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
Puma
Retired and loving it!

You got it, Shakey.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #11
regdog
Kreon Barricade
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm doing a major re-edit and I don't know if I can give this a go. I don't think I'll be done with the re-edit before July. If not, I'll stop by for July's

My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #12
Puma
Retired and loving it!

We'll be patient and glad for anything you manage to post in western SYW - which is something of a forgotten outpost these days. Puma
Old 06-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
bkendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
We'll be patient and glad for anything you manage to post in western SYW - which is something of a forgotten outpost these days. Puma
I agree with your sentiments Puma. I will be posting this month but it may not be until July 4. My sis borrowed my laptop and I can't properly edit and format from an iPod. Unfortunately I had to leave the native American story behind. It just wasn't going anywhere.

This genre subforum can be at times much like the desert wastelands we sometimes write about.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
bkendall

Any thoughts on a prompt for July? I am in a writing frenzy right now, so another prompt would be nice.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
shakeysix
blue eyed floozy

shakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
maybe provide a first line or a location? but it's all up to you, podner--s6
Old 07-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #16
bkendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeysix View Post
maybe provide a first line or a location? but it's all up to you, podner--s6
We have been taking turns with this usually. Shakey, since we haven't seen one from you, would you like to give it a shot? You have the right premise. It's just something to get us writing. A topic, location, event, phrase, or perhaps even a first line will do. Like you said, it's all up to you.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #17
Puma
Retired and loving it!

I second BK's suggestion that Shakeysix pick the next prompt or topic or whatever. Puma
Old 07-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #18
shakeysix
blue eyed floozy

remember what lo haze said about me? a western with ovaries. sure you want to go there?--s6
Old 07-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #19
shakeysix
blue eyed floozy

24 hours and no one else wants the job. As you probably surmised I am more of a literary writer than a western writer. I did take a class on the Western in American Literature in college. College?

Now hold on pardner. The college is Fort Hays State, once an important fort on the Santa Fe Trail.

Big Creek cuts through the campus. Custer Hall and Sheridan Hall are named after past commanders. My American Lit prof could ride a horse as well as he could deliver a lecture. My favorite lecture of his was " The Sanctity of the Waterhole in the American Western."

Unless someone else has a better idea I am going to ask that the prompt be centered around a water hole. You can forget the sanctity business.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #20
bkendall

Sounds fine to me. Now all you need to do is start the thread, set any parameters, i.e. word limit, topic, reminders to post word count and applicable content warnings. Folks can ask questions and provide updates of their progress there. Ask dpaterso to sticky the new and unsticky the old.