Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Freelance & Work for Hire > Paying Markets
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
SFFWriting
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

SFFWriting is on a distinguished road
New eBook and POD publisher, ConSpec Books, open to submissions of conservative SF/F/H

ConSpec Books is open for submisions of novella and novel submissions of conservative fiction in the science fiction, fantasy and horror genres, for eBook and POD paperback publication.
Open: now, no closing date noted.
Payment: 25% of net for print books, 50% of net for eBooks.
Detailed guidelines at: http://www.conspecbooks.com/submissions/

Visit me at my www.SFFWriting.com blog for market news, writer tips, and whatever else comes to mind...
SFFWriting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What, exactly, is conservative fiction?

My Etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/UmptyOriginals
Goths available now, Geeks and Princesses very soon!
mirandashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #3
SFFWriting

According to the guidelines, fiction with a "conservative" world-view. Presumably books like Card's Ender's Game, Varley's Red Thunder, stuff by Heinlein, Tom Kratman, Jerry Pournelle, etc.

Visit me at my www.SFFWriting.com blog for market news, writer tips, and whatever else comes to mind...
Old 05-01-2012, 02:11 AM   #4
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You mean right-wing views?

Ah ok then. Counts me out.

My Etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/UmptyOriginals
Goths available now, Geeks and Princesses very soon!
mirandashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 AM   #5
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFFWriting View Post
According to the guidelines, fiction with a "conservative" world-view. Presumably books like Card's Ender's Game, Varley's Red Thunder, stuff by Heinlein, Tom Kratman, Jerry Pournelle, etc.
Wait, you think John Varley is a conservative? If so, I don't know who's a liberal
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:00 AM   #6
ViolettaVane
I'm living in a silent film

ViolettaVane has a spectacular auraViolettaVane has a spectacular aura
I think this is a great idea, kind of like conservative hip-hop, great combination, umm, yeah.
ViolettaVane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
Little Ming
practical experience, FTW

Little Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
To be fair, on their Our Philosophy page, what they are looking for doesn't seem to be as "conservative" as what often gets portrayed in the media (especially during an US election year ).

ETA: I would be more worried that there's no info on whose behind this publisher, what they're experience(s) is/are, and what the business plan is.
Little Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
SFFWriting

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
Wait, you think John Varley is a conservative? If so, I don't know who's a liberal
Am I thinking of the wrong book? Is there another early 2000's "private citizen fights against the bureaucracy to get his own mission to Mars before the Chinese do" book?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Katrina S. Forest
I'm already a real writer.

Katrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for President
Just speaking as a reader of science fiction and fantasy,

I don't like books that lecture me. Even if I agree with the points of the lecture. When you require authors to a have a very specific worldview, that says to me that if I were to buy a book from your company, I would basically get a lecture promoting that worldview. Either all the characters who disagreed would be the bad guys or the good protagonist would literally lecture me through dialogue. Or both. What I want is an interesting story where the right and wrong action isn't so cut and dry.

Now, that might not be what you mean at all, but that's my impression. I'm not interested in submitting -- I only thought the opinion of a potential reader would be helpful to you.

"An honest answer is like a warm hug." - Proverbs 24:26 (The Message)

My Every Day Fiction stories
Katrina S. Forest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFFWriting View Post
Am I thinking of the wrong book? Is there another early 2000's "private citizen fights against the bureaucracy to get his own mission to Mars before the Chinese do" book?
That's his book all right, but if you visit Mr. Varley's web site you will rather quickly notice that his worldview could never be described as right-wing

I don't really care about the author's politics. I enjoy reading Varley as much as Card, Scalzi as much as Goodkind.
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #11
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
They give an explanation of their philosophy, but I didn't find it very educational.

There's a dearth of info regarding who they are and what they might be able to do for an author, so anyone choosing to be their guinea pig would be going into it blind.
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:23 AM   #12
mscelina
Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you

Location: Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fudz. Not pie. I do not share pie. EVER.
mscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Interesting philosophy. I would opine that presenting 'conservative' speculative fiction and horror kind of works against the types of plots that fuel the genre. Basically, this means that the storylines must all have the same types of protagonists and that those protagonists must meet the expectations of a decidedly conservative political bent. I mean--isn't it kind of restricting to develop a culture where "free-market economics are the engine for innovation and general prosperity?" It's just my opinion, mind you, that a laundry list of story preferences like this would produce plots that suffer from a fairly severe degree of sameness.

Kind of hard to be 'speculative' when you have to write stories that fit the current GOP electoral platform. Or the Dems or Libertarians either, for that matter. Just sayin'...
mscelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #13
popgun62
Keeper of the pace.

popgun62 has a spectacular aura
Since the majority of people working in the publishing industry lean to the left, as do most artists, writers, musicians, etc. (at least, that's the way they vote), ConSpec probably felt that they needed to make a distinction so those who lean the other way could have a choice. Doesn't mean it's right or wrong. NYT bestseller Brad Thor is a good example of a "conservative" writer.

I would think, though, that it might give any authors published by them a reputation as "conservative" and possibly limit their future audience.

Just as an aside, I don't care which way a writer leans, as long as the story is good and the characters aren't wooden. That's why I love Stephen King - his writing transcends politics, and he's about as left as they come.

Author of high-octane sci-fi, fantasy and horror!

www.tobytatestories.com Amazon

Represented by
popgun62 is offline   Reply With Quote