Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #13101
Shoeless
practical experience, FTW

Shoeless is a glorious beacon of lightShoeless is a glorious beacon of lightShoeless is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
I suppose it is my own fault for having read all the best stuff first...
I admit to have fallen by the wayside on reading traditional superhero comics. Most of the American comics I read now are by people like Neil Gaiman, Allan Moore and Mike Carey, although, all of them being British, you could argue that I'm not reading American comics anyway.

However, there's a lot of excellent non-superhero stuff being put out by American publishers. Fables, The Walking Dead, and whackier stuff like Scott Pilgrim are all very unusual, readable and unsuper-heroish.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:26 AM   #13102
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Walking Dead and Scott Pilgrim are both minor masterpieces, but the overwhelming sense of the US market I get is one of fear - there hasn't for example, been anything as ambitious as Cerebus (however badly that ended up), nor as groundbreaking as Maus or Palestine in ages. The same titles keep getting regurgitated with slightly different flavors, and the entire market is shrinking as people wonder why there aren't more readers...

On a related note, I really detest the shiny paper which sticks to my fingers, and leaves unsightly marks on the page. I tend to stick to golden age or silver age comics when I go on spending binges to avoid buying something which is destroyed in the process of enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #13103
Shoeless

Shoeless is a glorious beacon of lightShoeless is a glorious beacon of lightShoeless is a glorious beacon of light
I'm actually toying with the idea of trying to make a digital migration in comics. I've got... well, not an ungodly, but a hell of a lot of graphic novel compilations taking up a lot of shelf space, and a move out of our apartment and into our first home is driving home the point of just how much space those precious comics take up once you start looking for boxes to pack them in.

Also, for the record, since I'm Canadian, both Cerebus and Scott Pilgrim are products of Canucks, not Americans.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #13104
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
LOL. The rest of the world does not make the Canadian/American distinction. (my bad, seeing as I should be more exacting in such matters). There's great filing cabinets from the late eighties which fit about a thousand GN's in them, and I have five in my shed. Packing those up is going to be a nightmare...

I love the idea of digital comics, but I've only seen about a dozen which I would consider keeping in that format. Too often people go by the comic page dimensions and ignore the screen dimensions (and scrolling up and down the screen to read a conversation is a deal breaker, IMO).

Quote:
Quote:
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #13105
zanzjan
Hark the hotdog soda olive grape!
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
The rest of the world does not make the Canadian/American distinction.
Think of it like the England/Scotland distinction, except historically instead of us constantly slaughtering Canadians, we just subject them to our television.

"It's always wrong of course to say that you can't do this or you can't do that in fiction. You can do anything you can get away with, but nobody has ever gotten away with much." -- Flannery O'Connor
Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #13106
BigWords
Geekzilla

Yes. US Media...

*runs away from thread as fast as possible*

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #13107
Shoeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
Think of it like the England/Scotland distinction, except historically instead of us constantly slaughtering Canadians, we just subject them to our television.
We gave you Bryan Adams and Nickelback. I think that clears any debts.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #13108
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Yes. US Media...

you bastard.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #13109
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Tifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
The Walking Dead and Scott Pilgrim are both minor masterpieces, but the overwhelming sense of the US market I get is one of fear - there hasn't for example, been anything as ambitious as Cerebus (however badly that ended up), nor as groundbreaking as Maus or Palestine in ages. The same titles keep getting regurgitated with slightly different flavors, and the entire market is shrinking as people wonder why there aren't more readers...
Wait. You're saying they keep reissuing old crap for our consumption? No way. No how.*

*These statements totally don't count recent remakes of: Fright Night, 21 Jump Street, Total Recall, Dirty Dancing, Footloose, Freaking Three Stooges, etc. Screw it, here's A-M (probably not all US).

Quote:
Yes. US Media...

In all fairness, South Park isn't exactly the standard to which all US media is held. That's The Simpsons. TYVM.

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Old 05-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #13110
BigWords
Geekzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
Wait. You're saying they keep reissuing old crap for our consumption? No way. No how.
Um... Crap. Okay. In a nutshell - yeah.

To elucidate - nothing which has appeared in mainstream (read: superhero) comics in the last decade has advanced the language of the form significantly, and in fact some of the titles I have read seem to be debasing the form. There are exceptions, but few and far between.

It isn't a criticism limited to comics. Is there a game show which has pushed the boundaries of the format in recent years? No. We get the same thing handed to us with shinier sets, more infantile presenters (a fetus is going to be presenting something soon at this rate), and dumber questions.

The problem here isn't with the publishers and broadcasters, it is entirely with the audience - we should refuse to accept second-hand entertainment, and demand higher standards. If everyone stopped buying things out of habit and looked for quality (and there are great works out there if you look hard enough) then the entire market improves.

Habits kill inventiveness. Originality suffers. We get yet another rehash of something which wasn't blisteringly brilliant the first time.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #13111
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Tifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah...I was actually agreeing with you. My bad if that didn't come across.

Also, so much awesomeness (not sure I'm sharing this right).

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #13112
BigWords
Geekzilla

Y'know, I write stuff like this and for the next week have to fend off e-mails from people whining that I'm being mean and insulting their "favoritest thing EVER"...

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #13113
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Quote:
Y'know, I write stuff like this and for the next week have to fend off e-mails from people whining that I'm being mean and insulting their "favoritest thing EVER"...
It's impossible that mixing Star Wars and Office Space could be anything but awesome. (Not 100% sure that's what you were even talking about, btw.)

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Old 05-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #13114
aliwood

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
In all fairness, South Park isn't exactly the standard to which all US media is held. That's The Simpsons. TYVM.
So true.

Also, I was reading the 'news' yesterday. It said that someone called Jessica Simpson had had a baby. I'm going 'Bart, Lisa, who was she?' It's not just the media. I think American life is judged by the Simpsons now.

And in the USA / Canada debate. I know the difference, but that's because at school we were taught that we used to own it.

Good morning cantinas

Er, first I believe.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #13115
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

jallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

As long as you wear the kilt while you're doing it, you can talk ugly about anything you like.

Fortuna - my Space Pirates! audio drama

This is my pen name on Facebook. And this is my pen name on Twitter.

Blog Post for 9/19/14: October Flurry: Sweeney Todd
Old 05-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #13116
CobraMisfit
That kid is BACK on the escalator!

CobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallenecs View Post
As long as you wear the kilt while you're doing it, you can talk ugly about anything you like.
Yeah, that's going in The Quote Book.

"On a scale of one to pyramid, it's definitely pyramid." - TotalBiscuit

Books | Website | Chirps | Goodreads

CM's Motivational Alert Code Color Chart

Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #13117
Debio
Joining the insect army.

Debio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwriter View Post
I am home today from work since I'm supposed to be contagious. I hope I feel better soon. I'm not feeling as good as I thought I would this morning though.
and I hope you feel better soon. Just pretend you are incubating the plague that will bring the end of the world and maybe you'll feel a bit better.

Just imagine meeting all those annoying people you don't like and coughing on them or shaking their hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMueller View Post
I leave for less than a day and we get another new name?

So, it's my birthday and I'm not doing anything special today. Very busy work day with lots of meetings. Planning to go to my Krav Maga class tonight. Husband is working late, so I must fend for my own food. I swear, the older I get, the less exciting birthdays are.

Upside: Avengers this weekend.
Happy B-Day, mine was a week ago. I forgot though, till my little one started singing happy birthday in the car on the way home. Apparently the teachers at Day-care remembered and told him.

Quote:
So true.

Also, I was reading the 'news' yesterday. It said that someone called Jessica Simpson had had a baby. I'm going 'Bart, Lisa, who was she?' It's not just the media. I think American life is judged by the Simpsons now.

And in the USA / Canada debate. I know the difference, but that's because at school we were taught that we used to own it.

Good morning cantinas

Er, first I believe.
Coffee should come first, I agree.

This may be embarrassing, I don't know, but....

Who is Jessica Simpson?

I've been here long enough without American TV that I have no idea who that is. I have heard the name before, but haven't felt a need to do an intensive google project.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #13118
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
We gave you Bryan Adams and Nickelback. I think that clears any debts.
Yes, but we owe you still for Shatner.

However you want to interpret that debt.

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
Old 05-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #13119
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Also, I bring bananas. (Low-quality bananas, but still awesome.)

I am sharing with everyone.

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits

Last edited by slcboston; 05-02-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: better bananas
Old 05-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #13120
aliwood

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debio View Post
This may be embarrassing, I don't know, but....

Who is Jessica Simpson?
I went and looked in the end. She's no one important that you need worry about. And don't be embarassed. I had no idea who she was either which is why I originally thought that she was yellow with four digits on each hand and two-dimensional.

ION, I am darning socks.

Ooo, bananas

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 05-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #13121
amergina
Just don't fall for the boss...
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*Drives by Cantina, peppering everyone with confetti from a tommy gun*

Helloooooooo!

*speeds off into the workday*

OUT NOW! Take0ver (M/M contemporary romance) from Berkley InterMix

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #13122
CAMueller
Part-time ninja

CAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Hey, was there glitter in that tommy gun? I'm far too sparkly for anything a Wednesday.

Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | @ChelseaVBC

Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: 5 Reasons We Punch People in the Face (and Alternatives for More Interesting and Accurate Fight Scenes)
Old 05-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #13123
Fenika

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Confetti party!

I must finish watching the banana vid later.

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #13124
Kricket
Chirp! Chirp!

Kricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good morning friends!

I'm feeling more normal today. Actually got the kitchen cleaned this morning and everything.

Oh and Mr Kricket is officially a Brony. Apparently when he's up late with the baby he's been watching My Little Pony. I tease him about it relentlessly.

WIPs
SF Novel: Moon Dragons First Draft COMPLTETED 90,832 words, Resting
Flash: "Joy Eats Fear" 799 words, Revising
Urban Fantasy Novel: White Crow 12,000 words

Old 05-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #13125
ravenlea
AW Addict

ravenlea is a glorious beacon of lightravenlea is a glorious beacon of lightravenlea is a glorious beacon of light
morning all ... another day, another rejection. and now off to work. That's kinda of adding insult to injury don't you think?

Don't piss off the fairies
Closed Thread