Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Freelance & Work for Hire > Networking: Sharing Leads
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
dondomat
Benefactor Member

dondomat is a splendid one to beholddondomat is a splendid one to beholddondomat is a splendid one to behold
List of NYTimes-bestselling publishers which accept unagented MSS

Perhaps not the correct place to post this - a list I just compiled of publishers who accept unagented submissions, and who appear to be capable of having a book reach the official industry bestseller lists. ('appear to be capable' in the sense that we don't know for sure whether the success is because of them or in spite of them, but I prefer to assume that they helped)

This list only covers 2012 up to March and the autumn of 2011. Theoretically this list can grow and grow.

There are also a considerable number of self-publishing people there, most of them ladies about 3-4 of them here in one week. Someone should make a list of them to inspire the self-pub section.

Ellora’s Cave http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-...tion/list.html

Harlequin http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-...tion/list.html

Samhain http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-...tion/list.html

Baen http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-...tion/list.html

Writer’s Coffee Shop http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-...tion/list.html

Kensington http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-...tion/list.html

Algonquin http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-...tion/list.html

Sourcebooks http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-...tion/list.html

Farrar, Straus and Giroux. http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-...tion/list.html

Tom Doherty http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-...tion/list.html
Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
dondomat
Benefactor Member

dondomat is a splendid one to beholddondomat is a splendid one to beholddondomat is a splendid one to behold
Apr 13th 2012 update:
Entangled Publishing: http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2012-04-15/combined-print-and-e-book-fiction/list.html
Old 04-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
aoliver
Nocturnal Creature

aoliver is on a distinguished road
Thanks so much for this list!
aoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Jamiekswriter
The 1st Rule of Write Club: Write!

Jamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admiration
I liked that the Ellora's Cave one was book 6 in the series. While obvious, it brings the point home to me that there is definitely a readership relationship going on. i.e. the more books you have out there, the more people you can attract.
Fever: Club Inferno book 3--Coming 2015
Spice co-authored with Jenna Jameson
http://www.amazon.com/Spice-Fate-Jen...ds=spice+jamie
Shifting Currents by Lissa Trevor
Triad
Menage A Musketeer--Coming 2015
Jamiekswriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(Just a note that I edited the title for clarity.) </OCD>
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
dondomat
Benefactor Member

Haha, thanks very much, CaoPaux,
also, glad you found it useful, Aoliver and Jamie
Old 04-16-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
Mustafa
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Mustafa is well-respected
There's a lot more than that. Perhaps you're talking about a specific genre?
Mustafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
dondomat
Benefactor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
There's a lot more than that. Perhaps you're talking about a specific genre?
Specific time frame - "now" - too lazy to sift through the NYT lists of years past, just keeping my eye on what happens today. If you can add names and links from before the end of 2011, would be much appreciated.

I think that every different publisher only needs to be mentioned once, to establish the achievement, further mentions would just clutter up the list.

Anyone wants to know how many times exactly the publisher's books have hit the bestseller lists - time for some personal research - that's what authors do.

Last edited by dondomat; 04-18-2012 at 09:45 AM.
dondomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
Barbara R.
Old Hand in the Biz

Barbara R. has earned our admirationBarbara R. has earned our admirationBarbara R. has earned our admirationBarbara R. has earned our admiration
Coming to this late, but I wanted to say thanks for the list. I've bookmarked it to pass on to my classes. It's a good reminder that it's not just a choice between the big 6 and self-publishing; there are alternatives. One of my students is now publishing with Entangled and she couldn't be happier.
Barbara R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Thanks for the list.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
dondomat
Benefactor Member

Three Entangled titles in one week!

September 2012 starts off with a bang - three titles by small publisher Entangled are on the NYT bestseller list.
http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-...tion/list.html

Also, one self-pubber.

Also, another publisher who accepts unagented submissions, who has titles on the list - Soho Press.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Thanks for the update.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #13
juliatheswede
Got the hang of it, here

juliatheswede is a shiny, shiny jeweljuliatheswede is a shiny, shiny jewel
Great post!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
retlaw
Banned

retlaw is on a distinguished road
I wonder ... is it possible to put together a list like this by genre?
retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
gingerwoman
Wicked Safari release date March3rd

gingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admiration
Thanks for the thread.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/
gingerwoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #16
andiwrite
practical experience, FTW

andiwrite is a shiny, shiny jewelandiwrite is a shiny, shiny jewel
This thread is so useful. I will be using this when I begin submissions soon. *bookmarked*
andiwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #17
gingerwoman

gingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiekswriter View Post
I liked that the Ellora's Cave one was book 6 in the series. While obvious, it brings the point home to me that there is definitely a readership relationship going on. i.e. the more books you have out there, the more people you can attract.
I'm puzzled by why this is often the case. Books by the digital first publishers that have hit the NYT Best Sellers list tend to be the third or later in a series. Why would this be? Have these extra people that pushed this novel onto the best seller list not read the first two or give books in the series?

Last edited by gingerwoman; 12-12-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #18
writeontime
Why so serious?

writeontime is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this thread - it's really useful.

writeontime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #19
Jess Haines
Boldly going nowhere in particular.

Jess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerwoman View Post
I'm puzzled by why this is often the case. Books by the digital first publishers that have hit the NYT Best Sellers list tend to be the third or later in a series. Why would this be. Have these extra people that pushed this novel onto the best seller list not read the first two or give books in the series?
NYT gets their figures weekly. It's not calculated by the numbers of that book sold over time, it's what's hot that week.

If you're building a readership over time, then not everyone will discover you the same week you release a book, particularly if you are a debut.

As your books/name becomes known, people start talking, word of mouth is generated, etc, which leads to more sales. As more people come to like your work, they preorder or add you to autobuy lists or buy into the hype generated from the word of mouth around release time, which means more (read: enough to catapult you to the NYT list) sales on release week when the next book comes out.

"It doesn't get much better for pure urban fantasy than Jess Haines." --All Things Urban Fantasy

Forsaken by the Others: Coming July 2, 2013
Jess Haines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #20
gingerwoman

Yes I understand it now NYT Best sellers aren't books that have sold more over all, but books that have sold a large amount in a very short period. So that is why it's so often the third book in a series that hits NYT not book one in the series, because people who loved books one and two race out to buy book three as soon as it is released meaning a lot of sales in one week.

Last edited by gingerwoman; 12-28-2013 at 03:41 AM.