Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > AW Contests and Projects Room
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Time to Rock the Vote!

Okay, folks - voting is easy. Every AWer potentially gets three votes.

Read the stories posted here (password is holiday)
Pick your favorites.
Vote for three different stories.
PM those three story titles and #s to me.
Accomplish all this before Thanksgiving Day - November 22, 2012.

Winners will be announced after Thanksgiving (USian), before December 1st.

Questions?

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings

Last edited by MacAllister; 11-08-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: facepalm moment over forgetting to put the date for T-day :D
MacAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
victoriakmartin
practical experience, FTW

victoriakmartin is on a distinguished road
Are people who submitted stories allowed to vote?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Are people who submitted stories allowed to vote?
I think they have to, right Mac? Now I'm thinking some people may read and vote, unaware of contest parameters.

MacAllister posted this before (assuming nothing's changed. . .)

Quote:
CJacobo's Before The Holidays AW Contest

GUIDELINES
  • Entries must primarily consist of: Dialogue
  • Entries must represent substantial interpersonal conflict
  • Entries must be titled
  • Entries must be 3000 words or less (not including the title)
  • Poetry that otherwise fits the guidelines is totally admissible
  • All genres are welcome.
Rules
  • Entrants must be members of AW in good standing since at least September 30, 2012 (members who join later than September 30th will not be eligible for this contest). Limit ONE entry per member.
  • Entries will be posted exactly as submitted. Please make sure your spelling and formatting are exactly as you want them before you submit your entry. We will not proofread or edit the entries.
  • All AW members in good standing since at least October 1, 2012, are eligible to vote.
Entrants must vote to be eligible to win.
“The deal is, your friend refuses to cooperate, which means he’s screwing with me or wanted for something or he’s an idiot—no offense, kid.”
I heard Steve say, “Huh?” My own response was equally articulate: “No, no, he’s not . . . look, the kid’s not—”
“What are you trying to tell me, Mr. Brandt?”

Last edited by kkbe; 11-08-2012 at 04:51 PM.
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
VeronicaX

VeronicaX has a spectacular aura
Great!

Will cast my votes this weekend, I hope, once things are a bit less hectic around here and I can concentrate.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
victoriakmartin

Okay, awesome, I was pretty sure I could. It might be nice to have actual dates up for when American Thanksgiving is for those of us outside the US.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Doesn't Google work in Canada?

Nah, just kidding - you weren't the only one who wondered

US Thanksgiving Day - Thursday 22nd November

Last edited by Bufty; 11-08-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Bufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
victoriakmartin

LOL, I knew I could look it up but I think it might be of more use to have it edited into the first post so people don't have to search for it :P

Also I had no idea US Thanksgiving could be on a Thursday.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
Cella
Boo!

Cella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And the best part is that we don't have to stand in line in freezing rain for three hours to vote here!

Last edited by Cella; 11-08-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Ugh, auto correct...
Cella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_paint_the_sky View Post
LOL, I knew I could look it up but I think it might be of more use to have it edited into the first post so people don't have to search for it :P

Also I had no idea US Thanksgiving could be on a Thursday.
Hah - you're absolutely right. How very USian-centric of me. *facepalm* Thanks for the nudge!

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings
MacAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:15 AM   #10
victoriakmartin

You're welcome. And don't blame yourself too much, you live in a country that thinks Thanksgiving is in November so it's really to be expected ^_^
Old 11-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
Fallen
"School? Mum, no!"

Fallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Getting through them, have two votes, just looking for a third....

Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #12
captain_ryan
THE BEARD IS BACK, BABY!

captain_ryan is a glorious beacon of lightcaptain_ryan is a glorious beacon of light
Took me forever to figure out how my votes would go. Thre were some really great works on here. Well done, all.

"Dying while writing has got to be
captain_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Finally voted - didn't find it easy at all. Quite a variety there.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #14
Fallen
"School? Mum, no!"

Fallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sent mine too. Hope I sent 'em right...

Old 11-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #15
VeronicaX

Voted!

Very, very hard to choose... But, all stories are great! Be proud of yourself

Good luck, everyone!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #16
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I voted.

'Twas an honor and a privilege, plus I burned 26.5 calories, which means I get to eat that Frito.
“The deal is, your friend refuses to cooperate, which means he’s screwing with me or wanted for something or he’s an idiot—no offense, kid.”
I heard Steve say, “Huh?” My own response was equally articulate: “No, no, he’s not . . . look, the kid’s not—”
“What are you trying to tell me, Mr. Brandt?”

Last edited by kkbe; 11-22-2012 at 12:52 AM.
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #17
quicklime
Seattle-bound?

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
everyone who votes for me gets a free puppy!

Or unicorn!!

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #18
VeronicaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklime View Post

Or unicorn!!
Oh really? Pffft.

Everyone who votes for me each gets a Porche, a house at their favorite vacation spot, a genie in a bottle, unicorns, puppies, kittens: all supplied in the backyard and umbrella drinks in hand by the pool. Tempted? Yes? Vote for me and I'll--

...oh wait!

Never mind.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
captain_ryan
THE BEARD IS BACK, BABY!

captain_ryan is a glorious beacon of lightcaptain_ryan is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

Or unicorn!!
Can I have a puppy corn?

"Dying while writing has got to be
captain_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
victoriakmartin

Eagerly awaiting the results! I'm also really curious about how many votes were cast in total.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #21
Deepthought
Think hard, often

Deepthought is on a distinguished road
Vote for me, and you'll get a free PONY (Vermin Supreme reference)
Deepthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #22
night-flyer
flying around in the pumpkin patch

night-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Whatever you do, don't vote for me. I'm telling you that you can't. It's not allowed. Don't do it, voting for my story is forbidden.

ya see what I did there, right? Reverse psychology. it always worked on my kids.

twitter & fb (for a friend)

WIP1- One of Us, SF/Horror
WIP2- Flying with Broken Wings, Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym View Post
Just when I think that this thread couldn't possibly get any stranger...it does.

night-flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:42 AM   #23
Calliopenjo
Esteemed thinker

Location: In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields.
Calliopenjo has a spectacular aura
Question

Night Flyer, how many times did it work on your kids?

Mac, how much longer? I have stubs for fingernails.

Wounded I sing, tormented I indite. — Victor Herbert (1859-1924)
Calliopenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:43 AM   #24
Fallen
"School? Mum, no!"

Quote:
Erm, having been on AW for over three years now, and knowing the creative minds that get a little bored sometimes and need a little light relief to fill those pencil-less moments, can I just clarify -- the puppy hasn't been... modified in any way, has it? I mean, it's not a unipup or punicorn, and its... erm, breathing? 'Cause I know what some of the likes of the AW horror lot are like if they got to it first, what they do with puppies and unicorns and anything innocent that's been left wandering about (I've been sent some scary, scary pictures!!).

P.s., will accept German Shepard puppydragons for votes.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #25
VeronicaX

*taps fingers*

*checks watch*

*observes puppies shaped like unicorns balancing on kittie tails*

Oh man, where is that Mac guy?

*stuffs face with the most unhealthy food while waiting*

Well, if I don't win, I'll volunteer as the next "Supersize Me!" (...Or not.)