Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Hands-On
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #176
Tepelus
Never

Tepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Have you thought to take a picture of it, and then upload it onto your computer from your camera (or memory card)? My scanner makes my pencil drawings look like crap, so I started to take pictures instead. However, you need to have good lighting or else the drawing will come out looking too dark, which I've done. But I'm not for showing off my work in a professional manner, just to show it off on the internet to friends and on DA.

Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
Please Remember Me.

My Blog. You know you want to.
My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.
Tepelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #177
icerose
Lost in School Work

icerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by L M Ashton View Post
You could scan it section by section and then stitch it together. Most photoshop-like programs can do that, I believe.
I'll have to try that, first I have to install photoshop again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepelus View Post
Have you thought to take a picture of it, and then upload it onto your computer from your camera (or memory card)? My scanner makes my pencil drawings look like crap, so I started to take pictures instead. However, you need to have good lighting or else the drawing will come out looking too dark, which I've done. But I'm not for showing off my work in a professional manner, just to show it off on the internet to friends and on DA.
I have considered it, but these new digital cameras confuse me. There's all those options and yet it's so difficult (for me) to find out how to even look back at the pictures I've taken. It's the only piece of modern technology that I've handled, that I can't quite figure out. I think partly because I don't use it much, my husband prefers to take the pictures, and every camera is different. Why can't they have a universal menu?

I need to just buckle down and learn how to use it properly, but that will have to wait until after the craziness of school has passed again. I was going to do it this summer but this summer was crazier than my time in school.

Thanks for the suggestions both of you.

I helped write this!!!!http://www.ibnbattuta.tv/
icerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #178
runningfree
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

runningfree is on a distinguished road
I actually started out doing art first, then worked my way into writing.

At some point when I was younger - pre-teens I think - I had this deep desire to write and illustrate my own novel. It stayed floating around in my head despite the fact that I had not a lick of ability to draw or write to save my life.

I started teaching myself how to draw and that took a couple years (still learning!) I haven't started illustrating anything yet, it's WAY harder than I thought it would be but I like to do wildlife and flowers. I'm challenging myself to do more portraits so hopefully that will help when it comes to character sketches.
My art is here - http://www.aubreycampbell.weebly.com

I tried to do the same with writing and teach myself but it just didn't work out until a couple years ago when I grabbed it and wouldn't let it go until it cooperated. :P

Sometimes I think that I should just stick to one or the other but there are days when I simply do NOT have the patience to work with my pencils and I must tell a story.
And then there are days when I simply can NOT stand to sort out words and I desperately need my pencils.

The only challenging part is that there's never enough time to do both of them. :P
runningfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #179
TimSenese
figuring it all out

TimSenese is on a distinguished road
I write, of course. But I also take pictures (I went to school for photography) and can sing/play guitar. Between those things, that's pretty much how all of my free time is spent. I like it.

I don't have any music released yet (I'm hammering out the details on a 5-7 song EP kind of deal) but you can find some of my pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timsenese/

Any comments are appreciated!
TimSenese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #180
Mare
practical experience, FTW

Mare is on a distinguished road
Red face

Painting and drawing was my main escape until I finally
gave in to the long cherished dream of learning to write. In school I never bothered to learn grammar—to busy drawing! Now I'm learning where to stick a comma, among other things.

www.longbrush.blogspot.com
Mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #181
clee984
Bearded and serious

clee984 is a shiny, shiny jewelclee984 is a shiny, shiny jewel
Canadian author Douglas Coupland (one of my favourites) also works as a sculptor - he once said something like "I've tried to see the difference between a book and an art project, but I really can't."

And yeah, drawing and sketching was the only thing I was really good at at school. Don't do it anymore though, I'm not sure why. I always preferred writing.
clee984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #182
Louis Spector
Life is what you make it

Louis Spector is on a distinguished road
I also paint, in fact I'm better at it then writing. I've painted my cover idea for my book but have put my painting on hold while I work on my memoir.

Visit me at my Facebook page "Caged Behind the Wall of sound" https://www.facebook.com/pages/Caged...0235980?ref=hl
Louis Spector is offline   Reply With Quote