Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #76
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizmonster View Post
Go, word counts!

2326 today. I have to acknowledge to myself that I'm really still outlining...and maybe that's okay. It's also occurred to me I may need to split this into more than one book; but I'll get the ideas down first.

I've also been looking for a beginner's book on cosmology, because as it turns out watching Farscape reruns is not enough to help me write credibly about wormholes.
There's a few 'Very Short Introduction' series books on these things I think. Other than that I've got one on Kindle that's something like 'Physics of the Impossible' by Michio Kaku that tackles a lot of stuff from scifi and whether or not it's feasible, with the science behind it. There was a show on Discovery or something too that was called something like The Science of Science Fiction and did an episode on Stargate, with wormholes.

Personally I'd rather watch SG: Atlantis reruns but that's just preference. And it's not helping me write an opening to my SF mystery either...
Old 11-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #77
Saoirse
practical experience, FTW

Saoirse is a glorious beacon of lightSaoirse is a glorious beacon of light
Awesome progress everyone!

Whoa, has it been 2 days already? It just dawned on me -- I haven't checked in with you guys.

Got another proofreading project so that's been happening.

I wrote 1,017 on Tuesday and 1,228 last night. I had a major revelation that is making things so much....darker, just the way I like it! Very excited.

WIP
Grave Touched - science fantasy, rewriting
Awaken Me - erotica and shifters, writing now (but shh, don't tell Grave Touched!)

In Flames - flash anthology, available now! https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/349458
Fey Touched, a science fantasy, now available from http://www.turtleduckpress.com
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:47 AM   #78
Mr Mitchell

Mr Mitchell is on a distinguished road
I haven't wrote many words for a while in my novel, but here's hoping tomorrow may bring words to mind.
Mr Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #79
MsDashwood
Working on a mystery

MsDashwood is on a distinguished road
Just ended part 2 of my studying, which means I have 3 days now that I can dedicate to the writing. Yay!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:13 AM   #80
Ken Hoss
Coming Soon

Ken Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mitchell View Post
I haven't wrote many words for a while in my novel, but here's hoping tomorrow may bring words to mind.
Dont' worry, the words will come. I've gone a week without words, and yes, it can get you down, but you never give up.

Speaking of words, I got a whopping 669 on the WIP today. Working on a tough scene with Kelli and the local FBI Special Agent. A lot of research to do on Russian Organized Crime, and believe me, there is a LOT of it. *ack!*

Available on Amazon - Kindle and Paperback

Ken Hoss - Author
Ken Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #81
Saoirse

Hugs, Ken Hoss.

Mr Mitchell - Agreed. They will come.

MsDashwood - Yay!

845 words today and 19 pages of proofreading.

WIP
Awaken Me - erotica and shifters, writing now (but shh, don't tell Grave Touched!)

In Flames - flash anthology, available now! https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/349458
Fey Touched, a science fantasy, now available from http://www.turtleduckpress.com
Old 11-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #82
lizmonster
possibly lost; not sure yet

lizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for President
2207 wildly disorganized words. I've got a chapter going on 8000 words now, with no end in sight. I need index cards!

Yay everybody for all the progress, even those of you who did most of it in your heads. (Why cake? Why not cake?)

You know, I've never watched Stargate Anything. Maybe in December!
  • Add 10,000 words to the WIP (6,368/10,000)

In revisions: The Cold Between - military SF, 130,993
WIP: Blinding Faith (tentative) - SF/space opera, 24,750/120,000
lizmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #83
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good job on the words all.

I have 1,671 for today, squeaked me over the wire. So I'm still on target. AND finally getting into the rhythm of the story.

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #84
TheIT
Opening the door...

TheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm officially joining the ranks of the NaNo Rebels. After spending 8500 words wandering around on "Taunting the Phoenix" of which 1000 of those words were my rant that I was utterly bored and didn't know what to write next, I'm switching NaNo projects. So now I'm jumping into "Abyss". Geronimo!!!

Just keep writing, just keep writing...

NaNoWriMo 2013: Abyss, Part 1 - Anyone want to go for a swim?

Available now:

Everyone wishes they could get an extra hour in the day. But what if you could?

Doorways to Extra Time
TheIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #85
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Liz, my wife (who did Astrophysics at uni) suggests A Brief History Of Time and The First Three Minutes as introductory books, although only the former has anything about wormholes from her recollection.

No words to report really. I think I scratched out a couple of lines the other day, haven't counted the words. Work is... intense at the mo.

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #86
knightrunnermat

knightrunnermat is well-respected
Only wrote about 100 words yesterday, but I'm clipping along at a really good pace for NaNo still. Up over 25k for the month right now.

http://matthewgyoung.wordpress.com/
knightrunnermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #87
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
2207 wildly disorganized words. I've got a chapter going on 8000 words now, with no end in sight. I need index cards!

Yay everybody for all the progress, even those of you who did most of it in your heads. (Why cake? Why not cake?)

You know, I've never watched Stargate Anything. Maybe in December!
- I likes cake.

You should definitely watch Stargate, Liz. Well worth drooling over.

A grand total of 25 words - still in thinking mode.
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #88
Ken Hoss
Coming Soon

Ken Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputation
Did someone say cake?

Working on the WIP this morning, slow day at work, so far. Only have 365 so far, not a ton, but I'll take them. The good news is I finally wrapped up the scene and got Kelli out of the creepy FBI agents office. A lot of dialog in that scene, and not easy to write when you have you characters trying to be heard over the noise of a busy office.

Ken Hoss - Author
Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #89
Saoirse

685 today, stopped b/c the wrist is starting to hurt. Oh well, tomorrow's another day. Very happy with what I got.

WIP

Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #90
lizmonster

lizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesecondglance View Post
No words to report really. I think I scratched out a couple of lines the other day, haven't counted the words. Work is... intense at the mo.
Work does that. I kind of hate that about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
You should definitely watch Stargate, Liz. Well worth drooling over.
Okay, now I HAVE to watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hoss View Post
Did someone say cake?
Cake is the only thing that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
685 today, stopped b/c the wrist is starting to hurt. Oh well, tomorrow's another day. Very happy with what I got.
Sorry about the wrist! That can cramp one's style...

2118 today. Finally finished the (most recent) big long sprawling chapter. 8600 words. Most of it'll end up being cut; but I figure it's stuff I need to have straight in my head, so it's important that way. Now I'm approaching the first big plot development. After that...things get a little fuzzy.

Onward and upward!

Old 11-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #91
MsDashwood
Working on a mystery

MsDashwood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sounds like you're really on a roll, Saoirse! Great!

Quote:
2118 today. Finally finished the (most recent) big long sprawling chapter. 8600 words. Most of it'll end up being cut; but I figure it's stuff I need to have straight in my head, so it's important that way. Now I'm approaching the first big plot development. After that...things get a little fuzzy.

Onward and upward!
Oh, good! Yes, good to get it down. And the big plot development -- exciting! Hope it continues to flow, Liz!

In the middle of reading through and fixing (for the last time?) my old WIP. Have gotten about half way through, and am dedicating today to continue with that. Being very strict, and cutting/changing everything that has the slightest feel of 'not-quite-right'. Again
That part of my november goal is on track. It's the 10th today. I really want to finish this so I can start writing on the new story that I have outlined. Itchy fingers!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #92
Ken Hoss
Coming Soon

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your wrist, Saoirse, hope it's better today. Good wordage though.

Wrapped up another chapter with 372 words this morning. Now I have to talk with Kelli to see what happens next. As of now, she is supposed to be meeting with DEA Agent Larsen, who she seems to get flustered around lately. He left her a message to meet at a bar down in Chelsea, which is not a good thing for someone in AA to be doing. Even worse, Kevin is out of the picture for the time being, and so the stress is really getting to her.

Ken Hoss - Author
Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #93
Saoirse

Thanks, everyone! It's feeling better today so I should be able to do more.

Ken Hoss, I love how you talk about Kelli as if she's a friend or something. It's cool how our characters can be so real to us.

WIP

Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #94
Ken Hoss
Coming Soon

Quote:
Ken Hoss, I love how you talk about Kelli as if she's a friend or something. It's cool how our characters can be so real to us.

What are you talking about, she is real.

Over the last two books, Kelli and I have bonded and become good friends. She does have her moments though, and there have been more than a few arguments. After wrapping up book two, she decided she needed an extended vacation and disappeared for over a month! She even turned her cell off so that I couldn't bug her.

I did get her to at least start the next scene, and she's sitting in a bar, (not good), with Gregory Larsen. And there was a awkard moment.

909 words total this morning!

When writing a novel, a writer should create living people; people, not characters. A character is a caricature.
- Ernest Hemingway

Ken Hoss - Author
Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #95
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Glad the wrist is feeling better, Saoirse.

Great wordage everyone.

I took a break from my WIP to help a friend with their short story. It was a nice to do something different for a change.

*Sigh* Back to the grindstone.
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #96
lizmonster

2012 today. Saturdays are always fragmented. In theory I have more time, but in practice...

But I broke 20K! Woohoo!

Old 11-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #97
Saoirse

Ken Hoss - Of course she's real. One of my characters once held an intervention b/c I was soooo blocked. During work, no less. Crazy Fae.

1,125 on Nano WIP and 1,252 on a short story.

Thank you, muse.

WIP

Old 11-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #98
TheIT
Opening the door...

TheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Pretty much the moment I decided to switch NaNo projects, I came up with a potential love interest for the main character in "Abyss". Given that this MC is the creepiest character I've ever come up with, that's quite an accomplishment. And no, the love interest isn't creepy.

At about 5400 words on "Abyss" and still going strong.

NaNoWriMo 2013: Abyss, Part 1 - Anyone want to go for a swim?

Available now:

Everyone wishes they could get an extra hour in the day. But what if you could?

Doorways to Extra Time
TheIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #99
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You guys are doing great!

(I'm still pondering...)
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #100
Ken Hoss
Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
You guys are doing great!

(I'm still pondering...)

Pondering counts, HJ.

Nice wordage, Saoirse and lizmonster! Keep up the good work.

Yes, muse, back to the grindstone. But it was nice of you to take time out to help your friend.

Keep plugging away, TheIT!

Just wrapped up the bar scene with Larsen and Kelli, (yay!), and have a whopping 702 words for the day, so far.

Ken Hoss - Author