Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Self-Publishing: Print, Digital, Papyrus or Clay
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #26
WriterBN
practical experience, FTW

WriterBN is well-respected
I've been waiting over 6 weeks for a response from their editors. Should I assume they're not interested?
WriterBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #27
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Contact them again to give them a nudge. It usually only takes two to four weeks.

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #28
WriterBN

WriterBN is well-respected
They've updated their submissions page now to say 4 weeks, but on the KDP forums, I've heard from people waiting 7-8 weeks. I guess a polite inquiry wouldn't hurt, as long it doesn't trigger an automatic rejection
WriterBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #29
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Politeness counts!

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #30
LawrenceElliott

LawrenceElliott has a spectacular aura
I've submitted to Kindle Singles twice. The first time, it took about 2 weeks to get a rejection. I've now been waiting for about 18 days. Just as with the first, I'll go the indie route at KDP if that answer is also "No."
Old 06-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #31
sogrady
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

sogrady is on a distinguished road
It's five weeks for me as of today, so I just sent a polite second inquiry. Will post back when/if I hear anything.
sogrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #32
sogrady

sogrady is on a distinguished road
Finally heard back (not a fit), and the issue was on my end, not theirs. We did a site migration and had some DNS issues with email, and their original reply bounced.

So even if they didn't take my book this time around, their reply was timely.
sogrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #33
Blondieco
True Crime Memoir

Blondieco is on a distinguished road
I searched like crazy for information on Kindle Singles. What I found was mysterious and seriously lacking in good information. Someone even put their own site up at kindlesingle.net, but it got removed quickly....it was really the only good informational site I'd found yet...gone quickly. Since Kindle Singles are relatively new, I think they may be revamping their ideas over there. Just my feelings, because it all seems so mixed up right now. I think they may only have one editor or something
Blondieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #34
jrector
Sockpuppet

jrector is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondieco View Post
I searched like crazy for information on Kindle Singles.
I've got a Kindle Single coming out next week. What kind of info are you looking for? If I know, I'd be happy to share. If I don't know, I can always ask.
jrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #35
Blondieco
True Crime Memoir

Blondieco is on a distinguished road
So you've been approved by the editors? It is my understanding that all Kindles Singles must be approved, otherwise they suggest that you just publish on regular Kindle publishing...

I guess my real question is what exactly are they looking for as content? Seems there are loads of journalists doing the Singles thing, which is fine, but what's next?
Blondieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #36
nonasuch
figuring it all out

nonasuch is on a distinguished road
I'm a bit curious as to whether Kindle Singles will take YA fantasy, because I've got a novella-in progress that's going to be too awkward a length for most places.
nonasuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #37
J. Tanner

J. Tanner is a shiny, shiny jewelJ. Tanner is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondieco View Post
I guess my real question is what exactly are they looking for as content?
This is what they have to say:

Quote:
We're looking for compelling ideas expressed at their natural length--writing that doesn't easily fall into the conventional space limitations of magazines or print books. Kindle Singles are typically between 5,000 and 30,000 words.

A Kindle Single can be on any topic.

Latest Publication: "Bring Me the Head of Pepe Cortez!" in Return of the Dead Men Walking (anthlogy)
Latest Sale: "Reunion Soup" to [title unannounced] fantasy anthology coming somewhenish
J. Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #38
J. Heather Leigh

J. Heather Leigh is on a distinguished road
I feel weird making this comment since I am so new here. My book was rejected by Kindle Singles and I promise I'm not whining. However, when looking through the selected pieces I notice a high number of male authors. Nine of the the top ten are male right now. I'm not claiming sexism here, not at all. I'm just wondering if the editors happen to prefer that voice and those topics. My book is geared toward Christian women and that doesn't seem to fly there. I published it myself through Kindle.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #39
Aztecsince79
figuring it all out

Aztecsince79 is on a distinguished road
I submitted to Kindle Singles about 10 days ago. I get the feeling they accept what strikes their fancy at the time. They seem to lean toward non-fiction but will take fiction if it's a little different than the norm. Just my observation.
Aztecsince79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #40
jrector
Sockpuppet

jrector is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecsince79 View Post
I get the feeling they accept what strikes their fancy at the time. They seem to lean toward non-fiction but will take fiction if it's a little different than the norm. Just my observation.
They do lean more toward non-fiction and long form journalism, but they still want fiction, it's just not their main focus.

They have a ton of customer data at their fingertips, and that gives them some idea what their readers want to read. I'm sure if you write something that they think will appeal to their readers, you'll have a better chance of making it through the gate than if you just submit blind.
jrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #41
Henri Bauholz

Henri Bauholz is on a distinguished road
From what I understand Kindles takes in very few new titles, but those they accept tend to do well. Personally, I'm about 0 for 3 at Kindle singles.

Blog
Henri Bauholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #42
Aztecsince79
figuring it all out

John, you're right of course on submitting what they want. The trick is getting a peek at their data.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #43
Aztecsince79
figuring it all out

...and, as it turns out, what I submitted wasn't what they wanted. It took about two weeks. Still curious about what the data shows.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #44
metamemoir
Banned

metamemoir is on a distinguished road
what format for submission?

for the submission of unsolicited manuscripts to Kindle Singles, what format did you send (i.e. PDF, Word, etc.)?
metamemoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #45
metamemoir
Banned

metamemoir is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How to submit

If the work is not yet published, you can submit a manuscript or a detailed pitch for your Kindle Single. Send as much material as you have available to kindle-singles@amazon.com and include your name and a writing sample.
All manuscripts submitted as attachments must be accompanied by a cover letter with a detailed summary of the submission.
Does this mean that if I have a full short story manuscript, I should just submit it in the body of an email without a cover letter? Or does it mean that all manuscripts MUST be submitted as attachments AND accompanied by a cover letter?
metamemoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #46
Ralyks
Untold stories inside

Ralyks is a glorious beacon of lightRalyks is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmichael View Post
Does this mean that if I have a full short story manuscript, I should just submit it in the body of an email without a cover letter? Or does it mean that all manuscripts MUST be submitted as attachments AND accompanied by a cover letter?
It means, if you want to send the full ms, send it as an attachment with a cover letter.

https://www.facebook.com/romanceauthor
Ralyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #47
dogpie
figuring it all out

dogpie is on a distinguished road
I'm about to send my novella to the Kindle Singles editors. Any last minute tips/suggestions?
dogpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #48
gingerwoman
Wicked Safari release date March3rd

gingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgbyron View Post
It sounds to me like an avenue for Amazon to act as an agent/publisher for Short Story authors, instead of going the self-published route. Just my initial impression. I've been to busy writing and putting short stories up to really take a hard look at Kindle Singles. Maybe once I start making it into the Smashwords Premium catalog...
So does anyone know... I would assume they do your covers for you for this program?
Just noticed Margaret Atwood is a kindle singles author. I'm getting the impression this tends towards literary short stories? Or maybe not.
Still not sure if you Amazon pays for and designs the book covers or if the high royalties mean it is kind of a hybrid of self publishing and E-pub and you are supposed to provide them yourself.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/

Last edited by gingerwoman; 12-26-2012 at 06:06 AM.
gingerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #49
Henri Bauholz

Henri Bauholz is on a distinguished road
I'm waiting over four weeks for my second submission. The first one was rejected. My understanding is that having an Amazon Singles accepted is a big accomplishment for the author, but since they only run around a 100 Single titles at one time, the deck is stacked against you.

My Blog
Henri Bauholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #50
gingerwoman
Wicked Safari release date March3rd

gingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admiration
I'm getting the impression kindle singles are geared towards literary not commercial fiction?

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/
gingerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote