Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Movies, TV, and Theater
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #726
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

lastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolness
Maybe it's a trick question?

Amazon Link: Tempting the Unicorn
(a somewhat smutty fantasy novella)
lastlittlebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #727
LOG
Lagrangian

LOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputation
Saw the S3 premiere, it was pretty good.

[spoiler]

Cept for this:
Crystal Pony: "It LOOKS the same . . ." You know except for that large heart-shaped crystal that used to be underneath the castle in plain view and was the source of our power and protection. Ah well, not worth bringing up.
For that matter, if they don't remember anything from before the King, how would they know what their town looks like normally?

Also, if it's an empire, what is it an empire of? It seemed pretty small and non-conquering to me.

I also think that this season will be much more sequential than previous ones, what with the 13 episode limit and stuff like the Crystal Empire/Crystal Princess, Luna's book, that look Spike had underneath tthe rug . . .

[/spoiler]
Watch your habits, they become character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."
--Laozi
LOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #728
Shadow Dragon
the philosophical pegasus

Shadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolness
Spoiler

As far as the two parters go, this was better than Elements of Harmony, but not as good as Return of Harmony or Royal Wedding. As a whole, Twilight's parts were the best parts of the episode. As for Sombra, he had a paper thin, one dimensional personality, but as a plot device, he did his job and looked cool while doing it.

Couple other observations:
- Spike's fear was interesting, since that likely will come true. It depends on his growth rate, without having a hoard. If he grows too big while Twi is still alive, he'll have to leave. Could be an interesting hint for an episode near the end of the series.

- Random Berry Punch at the jousting match. I guess she just loves jousting that much.

- Twilight has self levitation, was able to copy Celestia's spell after seeing it once, and can reverse her gravity. Compare that to what she could do in the first episode. She's growing more powerful at an exponential rate.

- Spy Pinkie is an awesome Pinkie
Old 11-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #729
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I enjoyed it immensely!

Though, I'm still waiting for all the evil guys to show up in one team up: Sombra is found by Queen Chryssalid, who combines powers to free Discord, who then reverts Luna...

THAT WOULD BE EPIC.

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #730
LOG
Lagrangian

LOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputation
Don't forget busting open Tartarus and letting all the Series 1 villains out. :P
--Laozi
Old 11-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #731
AlexPiper
Wayward Wordsmith

Location: Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caffeine
AlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dragon View Post
- Spy Pinkie is an awesome Pinkie
Pinkie's just generally blanket awesome.

Spoiler: I loved the random Fluttershy costume Pinkie wore just for one throwaway shot... and then poor Fluttershy arriving, stepping on the costume of herself as she landed, and doing a startled little hoof-dance in the background of the discussion as she tries to figure out 'what the hell?'

Piper's Pocket Muse (Tumblr) | Twitter
AlexPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #732
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

lastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolness
Is anyone else completely addicted to the new mlp game Hasbro has released through Gameloft?
I know, I know it's essentially a Farmville clone, and somewhat overpriced (although the game is free, you can pay extra for more bits and gems), but it has so many little cute details (glimmer-wings for everyone!... Derpy in a box... the ponies arrive in balloons...)

Old 11-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #733
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Finally got around to watching the season premiere and it was all right.

Spoiler...

I think the little stuff, like Pinkie Spy, the jousting, Twilight freakin' out was more enjoyable/interesting than the pending DOOM. This villain was so bland, compared to all the previous villains who had great personalities.

And why didn't Luna get to join them? She could've at least helped Cadence keep the shield up. They better make it up with a Luna episode this season.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #734
LOG
Lagrangian

There's something going on in this season with Celestia, Luna, and Twilight.
Don't know what yet though.
--Laozi
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #735
Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
Finally got around to watching the season premiere and it was all right.

Spoiler...

I think the little stuff, like Pinkie Spy, the jousting, Twilight freakin' out was more enjoyable/interesting than the pending DOOM. This villain was so bland, compared to all the previous villains who had great personalities.

And why didn't Luna get to join them? She could've at least helped Cadence keep the shield up. They better make it up with a Luna episode this season.
She didn't come since it would have made their victory too easy and thus, it wouldn't have been much of a test for Twilight.

As for the villain, I can't complain about him. Not every villain is going to get a depth or a great personality. Especially when they aren't the focal point of the episode. His only job was to provide a legitimate threat and to look imposing, which he did.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:56 AM   #736
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dragon View Post
She didn't come since it would have made their victory too easy and thus, it wouldn't have been much of a test for Twilight.
So the fate of an entire empire is a test for one pony? That's pretty reckless. And if you fail... well gee, you fucked up an empire. But hey, no pressure.
Quote:
As for the villain, I can't complain about him. Not every villain is going to get a depth or a great personality. Especially when they aren't the focal point of the episode. His only job was to provide a legitimate threat and to look imposing, which he did.
Storm clouds are more threatening than Sombra. Feels like they got lazy and gave us a Twilight episode instead of a "working together/friendship is awesome" episode. 'Cause even the festival was kinda forced in there to give the other ponies something to do.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #737
AlexPiper
Wayward Wordsmith

AlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admiration
Quote:
So the fate of an entire empire is a test for one pony? That's pretty reckless. And if you fail... well gee, you fucked up an empire. But hey, no pressure.
I actually get the impression that Twilight is rapidly reaching a point where, if she snapped, she'd be a bigger threat to Equestria than Sombra would've been.

Her talent with magic has been growing by leaps and bounds, to the point that she's achieving things that would previously have required Celestia and Luna—characters of mythic levels of power—to match, and yet seems oblivious to this fact. There's a couple indicators of this in the episode, too: when Celestia and Luna are shown standing together, they have dramatic Sun and Moon backgrounds behind them, and when the camera changes to Twilight, it shows a starburst background in the same style.

What with the exchange between Celestia and Luna and the fact that they said this had to be a test for Twilight specifically, I suspect the entire thing was less about 'we need to save the Crystal Empire' (which they probably had a contingency plan for) and more about 'oh, hey, look, a crisis situation which provides a convenient test case to make certain this increasingly powerful individual is capable of handling pressure on her own without snapping and trying to destroy the world.'

I mean, Twilight has not historically handled stress well. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that her mechanisms for coping with stress are hilariously insufficient to her power level. She brainwashed half of Ponyville into fighting over a doll because she was worried about not having a topic for her weekly letter. Heck, just in this episode, she blew up the library in the first five minutes because Spike suggested she might be overreacting. And let's not get into the whole time travel mess.

So, there's my take. I guess we'll see what's up.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:08 AM   #738
defcon6000
Banned

I cringe at the idea of Twilight being something uber special. I don't mind her being powerful, just not ridiculously powerful. That would unbalance the show, make it less about friendship and more about her.

Also, it seems that a lot of Twilight's stress comes from trying to impress Princess Celest. You'd think the princess would teach her a relaxation spell or something.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #739
LOG
Lagrangian

Would this be a bad time to direct your attention to this image from Brand Licensing Europe? :P
--Laozi
Old 11-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #740
AlexPiper
Wayward Wordsmith

Quote:
Also, it seems that a lot of Twilight's stress comes from trying to impress Princess Celest. You'd think the princess would teach her a relaxation spell or something.
Or at least refer her to a good massage therapist. They must have them; my *actual* horse is always more relaxed after a good massage, and she's not a high-strung magical talking unicorn. (At least, last I checked.)

Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #741
AlexPiper
Wayward Wordsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOG View Post
Would this be a bad time to direct your attention to this image from Brand Licensing Europe? :P
...oh dear.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #742
Shadow Dragon

Loved the new episode. Also, when Twilight was destroying the Pinkie clones, she was freaking ruthless. Look away for a second? Zap. Also, I loved Spike's line at the beginning, "We weren't going to turn her into an orange, I swear."
Old 11-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #743
K.P. Iris
Just call me Iris.

K.P. Iris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOG View Post
Oh...that's just. Face palm really.

Caught up with the premiere. Good start could've used a stronger villain but it was clearly a Twilight building episode.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #744
Chumplet
This hat is getting too hot

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My daughter just started her job working for the studio that creates the pony show. Shhhhhh.... she saw the season finale. Shhh....

If she does well with the current project, maybe next spring she can work on Ponies!!!! That would be awesommmme.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #745
Stlight
ideas are floating where they will

Location: where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of things
Stlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Did Twilight leave the frog an orange? I think she did. That seems a bit irresponsible environmentally if not magically.

Does this mean the frog/orange will turn up again in another episode?
Stlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #746
defcon6000
Banned

Really enjoyed this episode and its references, especially fake-Pinkie making the G1 pony face. Eeep!

Oh, Pinkie has had fingers before in hotdiggedydemon's party.mov (pssh, not safe for work). Also, Pinkie's illustrations are reminiscent of his cartoons, so one has to wonder...
Old 11-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #747
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

I thought it was interesting that all the ponies of Ponyville went straight to Twilight for help as soon as they were in trouble. She's come a long way from Boast Busters.

I am so jealous of your daughter Chumplet! I hope she does get a chance to work on ponies

Old 11-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #748
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And thus, Pinkie learns that excessive forking has inherent existential dangers.

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #749
AlexPiper
Wayward Wordsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
And thus, Pinkie learns that excessive forking has inherent existential dangers.
Not to mention, you may bump up against a process limit.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #750
LOG
Lagrangian

I love how fandoms can lead to new and interesting venues of betterment.
I will gladly follow any nutritional advice the BHG group offers as long as they put images like this next to their info.

See it in action.

Lesson of the day: All advice sounds good when Fluttershy is staring at it. 0.0
--Laozi