Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #13426
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

jallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I may have posted this before, but I'm posting it again, just because it deserves it.

Fortuna - my Space Pirates! audio drama

This is my pen name on Facebook. And this is my pen name on Twitter.

Blog Post for 9/19/14: October Flurry: Sweeney Todd
Old 11-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #13427
Fenika
practical experience, FTW

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallenecs View Post
We just had an earthquake about ten minutes ago. 4.3 on the Richter scale, but the epicenter was an hour south of us, so all it did here was rattle the dishes.
I didnt feel it, which isnt surprising given magnitude and distance. If there's a big one, ringing bells and cracking sidewalks is one thing. All those building which arent shake proof are another.

Dumb question: how long does mild stay good after opening. I forget. The expiration is a month away.

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 11-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #13428
Fenika

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Also: mmm, hot chocolate

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #13429
amergina
Just don't fall for the boss...
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Fen, Milk? It kind of depends on the type of milk, the type of container, and how cold your fridge is.

The ultra-pasteurized organic lactose-free stuff I get tends to last for weeks.

I figure out if it's bad the old-fashioned way... sniff and sip.

OUT NOW! Take0ver (M/M contemporary romance) from Berkley InterMix

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #13430
aliwood

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenika View Post
Dumb question: how long does mild stay good after opening. I forget. The expiration is a month away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amergina View Post
Fen, Milk? It kind of depends on the type of milk, the type of container, and how cold your fridge is.
Oh, milk!!!

I thought Fen had opened a bottle of beer. Mild is a type of weak beer over here.

When I used to drink it - milk, i went by a day and a half rule, my gran has a colder fridge, she goes by a two day rule.

Sniff and sip is fairly foolproof though.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 11-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #13431
10trackers
Pollyanna

10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have to go to a party tonight

I want to sit on my couch and read or write

I have nothing to wear

I really want to sit on my couch and write

Or, alternatively, to post in the Cantina and whine

Blog

New Blog Post: How to Avoid Writing Bad Erotica

Short sexy stories: A Spank in Time, published by Blushing Books

Projects:
The Saga of EvilPants: "writing" a "query"

Cobra Ultraviolent Badge Of Honor:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post
To the characters in your stories, you're a big death-ray of sunshine.
Quote:

10s
Old 11-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #13432
aliwood

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
Or, alternatively, to post in the Cantina and whine
Or do none of those things, but go to the latest AtCT - in sig - instead.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 11-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #13433
Fenika

Oops, yeah, milk. I cant even blame the iphone on that one. Maybe.

Day and a half rule???

I have stoneyfield org in a carton. I would rather use it well before it spoils as I was once witness to someone who prepared their regular cereal amd fruit (there was a lot of cut fruit involved), and then proceded to pour chunks of spoiled milk upon her food. Dire.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 11-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #13434
Fenika

10- What kinda party? And I take it your pups are well. Celebratory pics and stories? We voted and the people have spoken...

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 11-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #13435
amergina
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Organic lasts much longer than non, because it's ultra-pasteurized. I've never had any of my org milk go bad before the date printed on the carton, even after I've opened it.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #13436
aliwood

Quote:
Day and a half rule???
Yeah, it's safe for a day and a half, but after that you need to check it.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 11-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #13437
aliwood

Quote:
We voted and the people have spoken...
We're people now?!?!?

We did vote though. *Awaits pics*

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 11-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #13438
Reservoir Angel
Angelic by name, fiendish by nature

Reservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthood
I was just clearing out my computer of excess unneeded crap and... have you ever had that thing where you find something you wrote or planned AGES ago and think to yourself "why the hell did I ever abandon this?"

I just had that. Twice, in fact.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #13439
Andelana
Secret Stick-Figure Superhero

Andelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Junely, where did you get a billion little outfits??

Ande- can I get that gf chai cupcake recipe???
Junely! Cute smibblies!

Fen: Recipe:

GF Muffins (Chai Spiced Version)

Muffin Base:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp GF baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 c plain yog(h)urt
1/2 c milk
2 c gluten-free flour of choice (a mixture of rice, potato and tapioca works well)

Chai Spices:
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground green cardamom ('normal' cardamom)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground allspice (or ground star anise, if you can get it)
1/8 or so tsp finely ground black pepper
pinch ground cloves

Mix the spices with the sugar.

Whip the butter with an electric whisk/mixer to break it up. Add the spiced sugar and whip again. Add eggs 1 at a time, whip again until fluffy. Add vanilla, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, lemon juice, and yoghurt. Whip again.

Fold in half the flour and half the milk. Repeat, making sure not to overmix. The batter is quite sticky because of the xanthan gum, just so you don't worry about that!

Spoon the batter into large muffin cases and bake at 375F/180C for about 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Makes 12.

I also do these with black cardamom and cinnamon - 1/2 tsp black cardamom and 2 tsp cinnamon instead of the chai spices.

The frosting is based on the frosting N1gella Laws0n uses for her guinness cake -

300 g full-fat cream cheese (srsly, don't use low-fat or you end up with liquid frosting)
150 g powdered sugar
125 ml double cream

Mix the cream cheese with the powdered sugar and then add double cream and whip to spreadable consistency. I shall be adding either 1 tsp cinnamon and the seeds from a vanilla pod to this OR some dulce de leche... I haven't decided yet.

Quote:
I may have posted this before, but I'm posting it again, just because it deserves it.
I have a dear friend who's a Mormon and will freakin' LOVE this. I'm sending it to her. Nao.

ETA: I'm sure lots of my other friends will like it, too, it's just that it's a riff on an LDS commercial...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
I have to go to a party tonight
*coughs gently towards 10s to share the plague*

Last edited by Andelana; 11-10-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #13440
Fenika

Yay for milk preservation and the muffin recipe

Smibblies? Ande, you may have coined a new word.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 11-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #13441
LadyV
Trick or Treat!

LadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good afternoon Cantina! I'm being very unproductive today. Currently watching National Treasure: Book of Secrets. It's not as good as the first, but still entertaining.

My aunt is in from Texas so the family is having a get together later this evening. I just wish I didn't have to work tonight.

Current WIP: Violet Dagger - Contemporary Fantasy (outlining)
Old 11-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #13442
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

jallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelana View Post
I have a dear friend who's a Mormon and will freakin' LOVE this. I'm sending it to her. Nao.

ETA: I'm sure lots of my other friends will like it, too, it's just that it's a riff on an LDS commercial...
LOL, I can top that. I shamelessly adapted it for an Audio drama commercial, and the guy who's playing one of the characters is also LDS. I already showed him this, and he thinks it's hysterically funny.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #13443
Andelana
Secret Stick-Figure Superhero

Andelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Yay for milk preservation and the muffin recipe

Smibblies? Ande, you may have coined a new word.
Welcome! And yeah - kinda. Smibblies was just my cutsey word for dressed up and looking dapper smibbles.

Quote:
LOL, I can top that. I shamelessly adapted it for an Audio drama commercial, and the guy who's playing one of the characters is also LDS. I already showed him this, and he thinks it's hysterically funny.
I don't think my friend's seen it yet (6 hour time difference and she now has two little ones), but I'm sure she'll think it is, too.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #13444
Reservoir Angel

Reservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthood
I think I've worked out what makes me so changeable when it comes to what I want to write: Music.

I listen to Batman soundtracks: I want to write a gritty vigilante story.
I listen to POTC soundtracks: I want to write a swashbuckling high adventure story.
I listen to Mass Effect soundtracks: I want to write a big epic space opera.
I listen to Assassin's Creed soundtracks: Tale of conspiracies and assassination.
I listen to Game of Thrones soundtracks: Sweeping intrigue-filled fantasy.
I listen to Chronicles of Narnia soundtracks: Grand tales of high adventure.
I listen to Ennio Morricone/Western soundtracks: Western-style adventure story.

Maybe I just need to stop listening to music...
Old 11-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #13445
amergina
AW Moderator

I have gotten nothing done today. OTOH, I'm pretty sure I'm still not better, since when I try to do physical stuff, my body says "Sit down. Here, have a cough."

I'm going to clean the kitchen, finish the Scrivener tutorial and start the sequel to CQ. And maybe some laundry.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #13446
Reservoir Angel

Okay, I think I've acquired a new thing I'm utterly terrified of: old-fashioned aversion/conversion therapy for gay people.

Thank you for THAT, American Horror Story! *shudders*
Old 11-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #13447
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
before I go make my grilled cheese - I just want to say and post this

Chuck

Mother-effing

Wendig

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2012...e-storyteller/

Go and read it.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

Old 11-11-2012, 02:39 AM   #13448
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reservoir Angel View Post
I think I've worked out what makes me so changeable when it comes to what I want to write: Music.

I listen to Batman soundtracks: I want to write a gritty vigilante story.
I listen to POTC soundtracks: I want to write a swashbuckling high adventure story.
I listen to Mass Effect soundtracks: I want to write a big epic space opera.
I listen to Assassin's Creed soundtracks: Tale of conspiracies and assassination.
I listen to Game of Thrones soundtracks: Sweeping intrigue-filled fantasy.
I listen to Chronicles of Narnia soundtracks: Grand tales of high adventure.
I listen to Ennio Morricone/Western soundtracks: Western-style adventure story.

Maybe I just need to stop listening to music...
dude... I don't have enough soundtracks. Clearly.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

Old 11-11-2012, 02:41 AM   #13449
10trackers
Pollyanna

10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm back. Things were meh. And now I write.

Blog

New Blog Post: How to Avoid Writing Bad Erotica

Short sexy stories: A Spank in Time, published by Blushing Books

Projects:
The Saga of EvilPants: "writing" a "query"

Cobra Ultraviolent Badge Of Honor:
Quote:
To the characters in your stories, you're a big death-ray of sunshine.
Quote:

10s
Old 11-11-2012, 03:59 AM   #13450
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

One of my friends is a smartass. this is what he posted on Facebook:

Closed Thread