Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Nonfiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #26
Cathy McDowell
banned as an incurable tosspot

Cathy McDowell is on a distinguished road
My novel is fiction with non fiction words.
Cathy McDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #27
Karen Landis
figuring it all out

Karen Landis is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

As soon as I think of something I want to say, I read a post by someone who knows what they're talking about. Thanks a lot, HapiSofi.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #28
iron9567
practical experience, FTW

iron9567 is on a distinguished road
The only issues I have is I want to read this book now.
As far as the idea about Lincoln and Ragen hunting vampires. Lincoln has already been don in the form of a movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1611224/
He has also hunted for zombies also.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2246549/
Just thought I would throw those titles out there since it was mentioned.
thanks
the iron man
iron9567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #29
RedWritingHood
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

RedWritingHood is on a distinguished road
My brother is a murderer. He killed four people. I published a nonfiction book about it. I changed the names of everyone in the book so no one would sue me. If my brother, who is paranoid schizophrenic, ever gets out of prison, he's likely to find me and do me in. Another problem with my book was that the publisher made changes that negated some of the truth. It really upset me, since my whole point was to tell the story of what it's like to be the sister of a murderer. I risked my life for her lies. One of my big lessons from this whole thing has been to learn to overcome fear on all levels. It's working. I'd say go for what feels right to you. That's what I did.
RedWritingHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 AM   #30
Gatita
Girl reporter

Gatita is on a distinguished road
I'm curious why some here seem afraid of writing this story as non-fiction? I'm a crime reporter and newspapers, books, and magazines report true stories about criminals all the time.

My book, now on sub, is about recent crimes committed by people who are still alive but I'm still not worried about libel because it's all true and well documented.

Personally, I think your book would be MUCH more gripping if it were nonfiction, that is, true.

And although Capote used the artful term "nonfiction novel," the current genre name is "narrative nonfiction."

It's a wonderful and very popular genre -- think "Killing Pablo," "Seasbiscuit," "Black Hawk Down," "Devil in the White City," and on and on...
Old 01-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #31
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good luck to you!

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #32
Gatita
Girl reporter

Gatita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFour View Post
40 K into the fictionalized version and going to finish my first draft by the end of the month. Then on to do edits/rewrites. I found out some information on the actual people that surprised me. One of the killers is still alive, just released in October of 2012. He's nearing 65-70 and living nearby.

I've had such a great time writing this, so exciting to work on something that I feel is good. I've never completed a ms so soon, it's amazing when you have a subject that practically tells you their story. A lot was changed from actual facts and so I've evolved the story into my own. I can't wait to do the rewrites! I spent about three months writing what would be a baseline of 50K. Then I have enough room to do my rewrites and add whatever I need or whatever needs to be changed when it isn't working. So far, I'm hoping it will be around 65-70K.

It took me years to write my first ms. This one is strangely writing itself for me and I've had nothing but a clear image of everything I want to happen from day one. I've never mapped out a story either, maybe I should try that more often!
Sounds like it's going to be fascinating! Keep us posted...