Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #401
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Hignutt View Post
It is now snowing in Southern New Jersey. Calling for 1-3" today and 1-3" tonight. They're not fooling me, I can figure that's 2-6" total. With more snow falling NW of Philly.

I really feel for my many neighbors without power. I guess, many more of us will be rejoining their ranks later...
Snowing just as hard in Edmonton. The roads here are abominable! 10-25 cm expected today (4-10 inches.)

Oops - not the general weather thread. Excuse me as I find my way out.
Xelebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #402
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAllister View Post
Stormie has checked in on the big "Disaster in My Region" thread in OP.
Oh, thanks, Mac! I was at the only food place open with free wifi and using my son's fast-dying iPod. The next day I brought my also dying netbook. I just typed fast and furiously.

You guys are all the best! I read through your posts and ol' stormie here felt warm and fuzzy. Really. Thank you so much! (Oh, heck, now I'm crying.)

We have power as of last night. A nor'easter is brewing but it can't--can't I say!--be anything like Sandy.

My old house is safe and dry, and my husband and sons are fine.

Everyone in this area--stay safe.

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:58 AM   #403
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Y'all be careful up there. Apparently even FEMA thinks it's gonna get rough from this Nor'easter.

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #404
muravyets
Old revolutionary

muravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Snowing and blowing like only half of hell outside my window right now. Sandy didn't take any of our trees, but I'm not so sure about this wet, heavy snow building up on all these leaf-filled branches. Supposedly it's going to warm up fast, but I'm worried.

My thoughts are with all down there in NJ and NY who still have no power or who were displaced by Sandy, because it's cold out there now.

Rule of thumb: Mura is not subtle.

The Grand Navigators, collaborative fantasy adventure party.
Cafe Muravyets, hang out of lazy writers.
Art: Portfolio and Studio Blog.
Me on Facebook.
muravyets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #405
Vince524
Will write for bacon!

Vince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Here's the bedroom view from a friend of mine in Centerport NY.

Vince524 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #406
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

Jersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The snow is coming down here pretty steady and alternates between fat flakes and teeny blizzard-like flakes. I just want to get through to tomorrow, when the sun's supposed to come back.

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website
Jersey Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #407
Vince524
Will write for bacon!

Vince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My sister lives in Freehold NJ. Here's here deck right now. I know there are a lot of people who have no power or heat yet. Not good.

Vince524 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #408
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

Jersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A lot of those w/out power are getting pretty pissed off. Ten days and still no power and no real explanations. A lot of rumors (power won't be restored for some until Thanksgiving, out of state crews being turned away.) It's just like it was after Irene, only worse because now it's so frickin' cold.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #409
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince524 View Post
My sister lives in Freehold NJ. Here's here deck right now. I know there are a lot of people who have no power or heat yet. Not good.
Looks like my backyard this evening.

Sorry, we were in a snowstorm with similar snowfall. Big talk of the day in the office. Businesses shut down hours early here because shipments were not coming in.
Xelebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #410
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

I was just out in it. It's actually kind of peaceful. The snowfall is light and there's only a hint of wind. And everything is just so quiet in a snowstorm.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #411
muravyets
Old revolutionary

muravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I was just thinking it looks like it's winding down after dropping maybe 2.5 inches of snow in metro Boston. Then I went to my bathroom, which is on the north side of the house. Holy frik! The wind is howling like a banshee contest, the icy air is flowing through the room from the force of the gale outside, and it's pretty much like an outhouse in there. Brrr.... I have to take a shower, man. This is going to be challenging.

Rule of thumb: Mura is not subtle.

The Grand Navigators, collaborative fantasy adventure party.
Cafe Muravyets, hang out of lazy writers.
Art: Portfolio and Studio Blog.
Me on Facebook.
muravyets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #412
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I stumbled across a bit of U.S. Major League Soccer playoff stuff tonight, and a match in NYC was postponed because of snow. They had video of crews scraping off the field . . . sorry, pitch. MLS is growing in popularity in the U.S., though obviously not anywhere near the level it is in Europe or South America, but does this kind of thing ever happen in matches in, say, Britain or Germany or Russia? It looked pretty weird.

In American football, they'd just play through it. In fact, football games played in blizzards are a common event late in the season in places like Denver, Buffalo, New England and New York. And they are always waaaaay entertaining.

Oh, by the way, up here in Alaska at 61 degrees N. latitude, it's been chilly, but mainly clear for weeks, with only an inch or so of snow on the ground. Of course, we'll pay for this in a while. But last year we had all-time record snowfall, so it ain't likely to be that bad this winter.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #413
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Blac,

The reason 'soccer' isn't played in snow storms is because the ball is on the ground most of the time. And it won't roll properly, which knackers up your passing game. Plus you get bad injuries playing on frozen ground. Remember, 'soccer' players aren't padded up the same way as NFL players.

Most of the big Northern European teams likely to be affected by snow have heated pitches. And some really northern countries have their league either during the summer or take a 2 week break in January when the weather is usually at its worse.

My Etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/UmptyOriginals
Goths available now, Geeks and Princesses very soon!
mirandashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #414
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Five inches of snow here to add to the fun and games left by Sandy. A garage apartment burnt down last night two blocks from me, due to a downed wire. No injuries. Power is on still, but at times tenuous, where you find yourself holding your breath, waiting for the blackout. Lost part of a tree that my sister had planted but I'm going to go out there and hug it. Kind of like Charlie Brown.

Oh, but the heat in this house feels soooo good!

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #415
Lyv
looking beyond intentions

Lyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputation
Oh, man, my heart goes out to those of you in the hardest hit areas.

I was nervous yesterday because I'd never heard winds sound so much like a freight train before. I remember my mother, who lived through a tornado that leveled much of her town, telling me that's what it sounded like. Objects kept hitting the house and more tree limbs are down, and the power flickered, but other than that, my area seems to be ok.

I live just outside Boston and looking out the window, I see no snow. So, I don't know whether I slept through it (this is why I rarely take pain pills) or it missed us. In July, we adopted a cat that was sent up from a shelter in Georgia, so I'm looking forward to showing him his first snowfall (out last cat loved watching the snow fall).

Please stay safe everyone.
Lyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #416
CQuinlan
practical experience, FTW

CQuinlan has a spectacular aura
We tend to complain about the rain a lot but thankfully we never seem to get it all that bad. This reminds me to be glad I live in a moderate climate.

Stay safe people.

My Blog
CQuinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #417
Alpha Echo
The Future is Bright

Alpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Chick View Post
A lot of those w/out power are getting pretty pissed off. Ten days and still no power and no real explanations. A lot of rumors (power won't be restored for some until Thanksgiving, out of state crews being turned away.) It's just like it was after Irene, only worse because now it's so frickin' cold.
Wow. I'm so sorry. I wish there was something I could do.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
T.H Lawrence

Alpha Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #418
Jean Marie
calm waters ahead

Jean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
what's really sad is, people who have generators are having them stolen and it's absolutely freezing at the moment. when I had mine running, I kept it chained to my garage door frame w/ a heavy duty lock on it. I suppose if someone really wanted to, they could have cut the chain.

people are also looting homes along the shoreline, which is why homeowners didn't want to leave in the first place and after last night's storm, are insisting on going back. stores that have been left w/o power have been broken into and looted. the cops and National Guard are trying to stop it, but can't be everywhere at the same time. it's so sad that while people are attempting to hold onto the last of their possessions, these assholes are coming in and stealing what little they've got...tools, laptops, whatever they can get their grubby hands on.

couple that w/ scammers who say they'll fix whatever, take the money and run. they've had alerts out about that.

far as the power not being restored, what I'm hearing is, the local companies don't want the out of town guys touching their lines??? that's bs. people are cold and need their power back on, now. the out of state guys are here to help and are trained linemen, so let them do their job. if it hadn't been for guys from Kentucky and Tennessee, I'd still be in the dark. CT is useless when it comes to getting the job done. One of the guys told me not only are they going on strike when this is over, but they're also asking for a rate hike?! go screw. good luck w/ that.

on the flip side, groups are gathering clothing and other goods to drive to Staten Island this weekend, which is awesome! and, this is from people who've lost so much; giving what they can to those who've lost everything.

To thine own self be true

current WIP (mystery/crime w/ supernatural twist)
Completed at long last

*Thanks, Jo*

Jean Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #419
Alpha Echo
The Future is Bright

Alpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow. I'm going to have to look and see what I can do, donate to some of the relief funds. My heart breaks for all of you affected, and I pray you all come out on the other end okay.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
T.H Lawrence

Alpha Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #420
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What's happened to the broken crane in New York?

My Etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/UmptyOriginals
Goths available now, Geeks and Princesses very soon!
mirandashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #421
Lyv
looking beyond intentions

Lyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
What's happened to the broken crane in New York?
I remember reading sometime last week that it had been secured somehow, but I haven't heard anything since.
Lyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #422
Sheryl Nantus
Holding out for a Superhero...

Location: Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
Sheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
far as the power not being restored, what I'm hearing is, the local companies don't want the out of town guys touching their lines??? that's bs. people are cold and need their power back on, now. the out of state guys are here to help and are trained linemen, so let them do their job. if it hadn't been for guys from Kentucky and Tennessee, I'd still be in the dark. CT is useless when it comes to getting the job done. One of the guys told me not only are they going on strike when this is over, but they're also asking for a rate hike?! go screw. good luck w/ that.
I'm seeing news stories where rallies/riots are starting with even the NY Governor asking WTH is going on.

Two years ago I was in the middle of the PA Snowcrisis and I live in a rural area - and we *only* lost power for eight days, total. If there's so many people racing to help what's the problem here?

I suspect an investigation is going to go down when it's all done and they'll find a lot of ugly crap when they start turning over stones...
Sheryl Nantus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #423
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

And the power woes in NJ continue - one power company is telling customers who had power restored, then knocked out by the nor'easter, that their power won't be back until the middle of next week sometime.

Some of the barrier islands are allowing residents back, but only for a few hours, and only under strict conditions. My in-laws are coming up this weekend, but don't know if they'll be allowed in to their house. My FIL is going to see about working it out to give my husband permission to go check out the house when they finally allow people in. The inlaws can't keep coming up from FL. That'll get way expensive.

ETA: The one utility company is going to have a LOT of explaining to do. They swore after Hurricane Irene that those massive outages, for days on end, would never happen again. If there isn't an investigation into this company, people are going to be outraged and rightfully so. I've never been so glad to be with the company I'm with - they still have some outages, but at least they are communicating what's happening where. For a lot of people, that's all they want - is some communication.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #424
stormie
storm central

Two things:

Anyone hear from quickWit? He lives in an area of NJ just south of me that was also hit hard.

ETA: never mind. I see he's over in the comedy cabaret. I'll PM him.

Our town is small, and so are the surrounding towns. There is only one way in and out of each town, with a police presence where you have to show ID and purpose for entering. They've already caught a few who entered under the pretense of fixing someone's property but were really casing the houses.

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
Old 11-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #425
Jean Marie
calm waters ahead

Jean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Our utility took out a full page ad, yesterday, congratulating themselves for a job well done??? Excuse me! Not everyone's got their power fully restored...assholes. I'm contemplating making a dartboard out of it for the neighborhood to play w/.

Not to mention, they were out on the street today doing what, God only knows. There's dead wires dangling all over the place and in people's yards. Wondering who's going to clean that up?

Talked to a friend of mine, at the beach this am, they're having a new furnace put in, new washer/dryer delivered, too. Forget all the stuff in the garage that was ruined, and the basement, they're just happy they've got a house left. They're moving back in on Monday or Tuesday.

Talked to another friend who had to move a boat down to Fla for the winter. He had to hire extra guys just to push house parts out of the way while they made their way through Hell's Gate. Roofs, attics, floating beams and the like...can't even fathom it. So many parts of people's lives, out there, floating around. That's the kind of stuff that makes you grateful.

Just wish FEMA would get their collective asses in gear and help all those thousands of people who are in such dire need. Parts of our government really suck. They're supposed to be there when disasters happen. I'm fairly sure this counts as one.

To thine own self be true

current WIP (mystery/crime w/ supernatural twist)
Completed at long last

*Thanks, Jo*

Jean Marie is offline   Reply With Quote