Happy Hanukkah!

Happy Hanukkah!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Book Promotion Ideas and Advice
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
Purple Rose
practical experience, FTW

Purple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Has Anyone Used A Book Publicist

Has anyone tried using a publicist? If so, would you care to share your experience? I am considering using a publicist for the US market.

I tried searching for a similar thread and could not find it.

Any feedback or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've worked with several book publicists.

If you're considering doing the same you'll have to find one who has extensive success and experience working with writers who have published in the way you have. If you're with a trade publisher, ask them for a few names; if you've self published, then you're going to have to work a lot harder to find a good publicist, and you're going to have to work a lot harder to successfully publicise your book.

Publicity only goes so far, and it works very closely with a book's availability. Trade publishers coordinate their publicity and distribution efforts. Often, self published writers would be better off getting their books into bookshops than in working with a publicist. If your publicist gets you TV or radio slots, or newspaper articles, and the people who hear or read about you can't then easily find your book in their local book seller, then you'll lose their sales.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Purple Rose

Purple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thank you so much, Old Hack. The information you gave is very helpful.

My memoir was published by an independent publisher in Singapore. We received a small grant from the government which included a budget for local publicity. I've already been on radio and in the press as well as on a TV station that broadcasts regionally.

I think there might be interest in the US market but I won't get anywhere without a publicist. Yes, definitely the book will have to be publicized and I will definitely need a professional to help me. Availability is not an issue, according to my publisher.

I've found a couple through Google search but was just wondering if anyone had a publicist to recommend or experiences to share.

Thank you again, Old Hack. I'll start contacting the ones I have found on Google so far.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If your book isn't yet published in the US, then employing a publicist to promote it is somewhat premature.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
Purple Rose

Ahhh, good point. Thank you, Old Hack. I shall speak to my publisher about this. I'm putting the cart before the horse! I'll take it one step at a time form here.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Your publisher can only help you with a US edition if they licensed world rights from you, and if they have the ability and connections to sell the book to a good publisher there.

It might well be the case that you (or your agent) have to find that US publisher yourself.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
Purple Rose

My publisher has foreign rights but I am not sure how good his connections are in the US. Quite strong in the UK, I believe, but not sure about my most important market - the US.

I'm meeting him next week and will take it from there.

I really am grateful for all your advice, Old Hack.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
RobertEvert

RobertEvert has a spectacular aura
Delete...

Never mind... Sorry!

Last edited by RobertEvert; 11-13-2012 at 09:51 PM.
RobertEvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
RobertEvert

Has anybody else had experiences with a publicist? What exactly do they do and how are they paid? For example, do you give them a cut of the royalties? Or do they get X amount for certain specific tasks?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #10
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

It's not wise to give a publicist a cut of your royalties and I've never heard of them being paid that way. A fee is the more usual way to pay them: this can be a flat fee, a retainer plus specified extras and expenses, or a fee per task--although an overall fee plus reasonable expenses is most usual.

A publicist is hired to generate publicity for your books. So, they might arrange radio, press and/or TV interviews for you, a blog tour, book signings, or talks to relevant organisations. They'll talk with you first and work out with you the things you're happy doing and the things you'd rather not, and between you you'll work out a plan.

None of this will be effective if the people who see the publicity generated can't then easily buy your book: so if you engage a publicist who arranges an interview for you with a local radio station, for example, you have to ensure that your book is available in local bookshops and related retailers when that interview will be heard. That part of the work isn't usually down to the publicist, but is essential if the publicity generated is going to be effective in selling your books.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
RobertEvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
It's not wise to give a publicist a cut of your royalties and I've never heard of them being paid that way. A fee is the more usual way to pay them: this can be a flat fee, a retainer plus specified extras and expenses, or a fee per task--although an overall fee plus reasonable expenses is most usual.

A publicist is hired to generate publicity for your books. So, they might arrange radio, press and/or TV interviews for you, a blog tour, book signings, or talks to relevant organisations. They'll talk with you first and work out with you the things you're happy doing and the things you'd rather not, and between you you'll work out a plan.

None of this will be effective if the people who see the publicity generated can't then easily buy your book: so if you engage a publicist who arranges an interview for you with a local radio station, for example, you have to ensure that your book is available in local bookshops and related retailers when that interview will be heard. That part of the work isn't usually down to the publicist, but is essential if the publicity generated is going to be effective in selling your books.

Good tips. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:36 AM   #12
nitaworm
AW Addict

nitaworm is a glorious beacon of lightnitaworm is a glorious beacon of light
If you want to pinpoint what the publicist should do for you create your goals, a marketing plan for your book of what you can do to generate sales and also what you want to gain from your marketing (Sales, Visibility, or gain speaking events that can make you an income)

After that, interview several publicist and research their clients. If you hire one they are VERY expensive. But good ones are expensive because they are good.

I'd only want the publicist to do what you can't do easily yourself - get you on TV, Radio, or Magazine spots. Everything else you can do yourself.
nitaworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
jmascia

jmascia is on a distinguished road
I shall agree with Nitaworm. Hiring a publicicist to help you with say... social media, is a waste, because you can easily make those posts yourself. You can also get reviews of your work yourself. However, securing a spot on TV, Radio or in a national magazine can be very very difficult. If that's what you're looking to do, I say definitely hire a publicist. Also, look for ones that will guarantee you X number of placements for your money, because some companies (even the good ones, though rarely) will have you pay, and if they can't get you on anywhere, then you simply lose.

James Mascia
www.islandofdren.com

High School Heroes - NOW AVAILABLE!!!!
L&L Dreamspell Publishing

jmascia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #14
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

I doubt any good publicist will guarantee any specific placements.