Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > QUILTBAG
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #101
hrj
Not so new as all that, really

hrj is on a distinguished road
As promised, I've posted a version of my lecture "Sex Between Women in the Middle Ages and Renaissance" here.
hrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #102
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
w00t! Thanks for the link.

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings
MacAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #103
Mara
Clever User Title

Mara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrj View Post
As promised, I've posted a version of my lecture "Sex Between Women in the Middle Ages and Renaissance" here.
Thanks! That was really interesting, and well written and easy to understand as well. I really appreciate it!

And the acknowledgement that transsexualism exists was also appreciated. (I know how ridiculously hard it is to separate orientation and gender identity when they were conflated for so long. I just always dislike it when I read historical works that don't even acknowledge the transsexual angle, but you did a good job of handling that.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #104
hrj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
And the acknowledgement that transsexualism exists was also appreciated. (I know how ridiculously hard it is to separate orientation and gender identity when they were conflated for so long. I just always dislike it when I read historical works that don't even acknowledge the transsexual angle, but you did a good job of handling that.
Thanks for the feedback that it came across well. Trying to map modern gender/sex/orientation concepts onto historic people and events is tricky, but I don't fall into the camp that says "there's no such thing as [insert category here] before the modern era because they hadn't invented the concept yet". I see it as packaging an associated cluster of concepts in different subsets. The concepts in the cluster are still real, even in a different package.

Here's a weird analogy. Prepositions rarely translate exactly one-for-one between languages, even closely related languages. But that doesn't mean that the people speaking the languages live in worlds with entirely different types of spatial relationships -- only that they may find it easier to bundle certain sets of spatial characteristics together than other sets. A language doesn't need a one-word preposition to be able to describe one object as being "spread out and in close continuous contact with a vertical flat surface", but if the language does have a single word describing that relationship, then speakers are likely to be more aware of objects with that relationship.

Similarly, the cluster of characteristics that I'm exploring in these research papers may only intersect as a unified prototype in certain specific times and cultures, but that doesn't mean that a person of a different time and place couldn't have experienced that same cluster -- without viewing it as some sort of holistic concept.

I'm kind of getting away from a simple "thank you". Sorry.

(Posting the sex essay has prompted me to work on the expanded version of the cross-dressing essay.)
Old 11-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #105
Mara
Clever User Title

Mara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback that it came across well. Trying to map modern gender/sex/orientation concepts onto historic people and events is tricky, but I don't fall into the camp that says "there's no such thing as [insert category here] before the modern era because they hadn't invented the concept yet". I see it as packaging an associated cluster of concepts in different subsets. The concepts in the cluster are still real, even in a different package.

Here's a weird analogy. Prepositions rarely translate exactly one-for-one between languages, even closely related languages. But that doesn't mean that the people speaking the languages live in worlds with entirely different types of spatial relationships -- only that they may find it easier to bundle certain sets of spatial characteristics together than other sets. A language doesn't need a one-word preposition to be able to describe one object as being "spread out and in close continuous contact with a vertical flat surface", but if the language does have a single word describing that relationship, then speakers are likely to be more aware of objects with that relationship.

Similarly, the cluster of characteristics that I'm exploring in these research papers may only intersect as a unified prototype in certain specific times and cultures, but that doesn't mean that a person of a different time and place couldn't have experienced that same cluster -- without viewing it as some sort of holistic concept.

I'm kind of getting away from a simple "thank you". Sorry.

(Posting the sex essay has prompted me to work on the expanded version of the cross-dressing essay.)
That sounds like a very good approach to me. Very much more sensible than, "Oh, X didn't exist because semantics" that I sometimes see.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #106
MacAllister
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I keep trying to mentally compose a thoughtful comment to post there about the intersection between the sources you've examined, and the observed cultural phenomenon of lesbian invisibility (unless you step outside the box and usurp the rights/prerogatives of a man) -- but the whole train of thought keeps sort of slipping sideways out of my grasp.

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings
Old 11-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #107
hrj

What I'm amazed at is that once you start breaking the quest down into motifs rather than looking for "lesbians in history" there ends up being vastly more material than I'd have predicted. (And I'm not actually doing much of anything in the way of original research here -- just re-packaging the existing scholarship.)
Old 11-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #108
MacAllister
El Jefe

Quote:
What I'm amazed at is that once you start breaking the quest down into motifs rather than looking for "lesbians in history" there ends up being vastly more material than I'd have predicted. (And I'm not actually doing much of anything in the way of original research here -- just re-packaging the existing scholarship.)
Yes! That! That's exactly the sort of thing I've been trying to wrap my head around well enough to compose a response to your very interesting post. It's like those magic eye puzzles, where you have to look past and around the thing you're looking for, before you can see the thing itself.

Last edited by MacAllister; 11-17-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #109
Bookewyrme
Imagined half of it.

Bookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
Google "tea room trade"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Haut View Post
See I didn't have this informed direction to work from, so I resorted to google image search and... and...

I googled too. My favorite image-result was the one of protesters, one of whom was holding a sign reading "It's 12:15 pm, do you know which stall your Senator is in?" I found that amusing for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Fierce View Post
I posted something in announcements but I'm too excited and wanted to share it with QUILTBAGS! My short story "Amelia's Revolution" is going to be released Dec. 9 for $1.99 in e-format. It's a queer steampunk story! :-) I am in love with the cover. If you want to see the blurb and cover you can go here!

http://www.queerteen-press.com/index...products_id=63
Hurray Kim! I will definitely be checking this out. I love Steampunk, and queer steampunk is even better!
Bookewyrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #110
MacAllister
El Jefe

Heh. Now I really do feel old. I had no idea that "Tearoom" had already passed out of the subcultural community parlance.

I am consoled only by the idea that it least it made Ben Panced snort his Postum up into his sinuses.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #111
BenPanced

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
KAVA! KAVA!
BenPanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:55 AM   #112
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

Gale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm not sure that the term has passed out of use. I am kind of late to the scene, so I don't think anyone should assume me not knowing something equals it no longer being relevant.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #113
hrj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAllister View Post
Heh. I can't be the only one checking back to see if hrj has heard anything, right? (Yes, I know it's only a few days, and that it just plain takes a while -- but what's the fun of waiting alone, when you could have a party instead?)
And as promised ... I've heard something.

I will shortly be in receipt of a contract for my consideration from Bella Books for Daughter of Mystery. I was almost exactly one month from submission to hearing back, which I know is startlingly fast.

Still grinning madly.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #114
MacAllister
El Jefe

Woo HOOO!!!! Congratulations!

And Happy Thanksgiving, too!

Old 11-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #115
hrj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAllister View Post
Woo HOOO!!!! Congratulations!

And Happy Thanksgiving, too!
Thank you. I'm still glowing.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #116
Corinne Duyvis
She of the Comfortable Shoulders

Corinne Duyvis is a shiny, shiny jewelCorinne Duyvis is a shiny, shiny jewel
That essay is awesome and fascinating, hrj. I shared it on Twitter. Thanks so much for writing it--and congrats on the deal!
* Disability in Kidlit

For ten years, he's witnessed a far-off world through the eyes of a far-off girl. Now, she finds out.
OTHERBOUND, a YA fantasy coming June 17, 2014, from Amulet Books.
Corinne Duyvis is online now   Reply With Quote