Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Scripts, Stage, and Screen > Screenwriting Software Tech Room
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What screenwriting software do you use? (You can select more than one option)
Final Draft 28 43.75%
Movie Magic Screenwriter 13 20.31%
CeltX 21 32.81%
Another script editing program (like Screenwriter Pro) 8 12.50%
Another free editing program or macro (like Scriptsmart) 7 10.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
Jon-Luke
Anomalous crusader

Jon-Luke is on a distinguished road
Arrow What script editing software do you use?

Hi just a fun poll to see what other members are using to write their scrips on. If you have any comments on the program you are using please post them here.

I've been using Final Draft since version 5 and I find it easy and intuitive - I had some issued when I moved from a PC to Mac (Missed having the buttons where you could select CHARACTER, ACTION, SCENE HEADING etc... But I've learnt to use the mac shortcut keys instead). The older versions of Final Draft certainly had some issues; compatibility between Mac & PC, hick ups when converting from US Letter to A4 paper, etc... But now it seems to be quite a stable program if used correctly.

“Those who restrain their desires, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.”
~ William Blake

Jon-Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
coneflower2001
figuring it all out

coneflower2001 is on a distinguished road
CeltX ...I was using and paying for ScriptBuddy...but then I found out about Celtx on AW, and loved it.

YA Historical Novel "Shadow and Rails" (14,500 words and counting)
coneflower2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
dpaterso
No one of consequence!
SuperModerator

dpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I "won" a copy of MM2000 in a ScriptPIMP contest free draw a few years ago, which was rather nice. I've tried the others but still prefer MM for its robustness and user preference flexibility. Each to their own personal choice; they all do the biz. As always it's not the tool that counts, it's the writer.

-Derek
Now available from Eggplant Literary Productions
“Vampyres! All I'd heard about since I'd arrived in this
damned city was vampyres!”

Also on Amazon
dpaterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
alleycat
Here I come to save the day...
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I use MM mostly, but I have also have a copy of SceneWriter Pro (which I don't care much for). I also find some of the free BBC scripts programs helpful. I use them on my office computer (only during my lunch hour, you understand) because I don't want to load MM on that computer.
alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
WriteKnight
Arranger Of Disorder

WriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admiration
Started on "Scriptware" back in the early nineties... which I'm pretty sure was one of the first. Had great market penetration, but then FD took off. Still use it, fast, easy, flexible.

Meh, you go with what you got.
WriteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:22 AM   #6
odocoileus
practical experience, FTW

odocoileus has a spectacular aura
MM6 on my main computer.

Celtx or Scriptsmart if I'm using some other computer. Celtx in particular comes in handy b/c I can download it to wherever I'm working.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:31 AM   #7
stuckupmyownera
Mostly lurking

stuckupmyownera has a spectacular aura
I've always used Screenforge and it's great. I've discovered Celtx recently and although it has some really useful features, it lacks a lot of auto-correction and auto-formatting stuff I've become used to, which is a pain! The page count works out slightly higher in Celtx too.
stuckupmyownera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:42 PM   #8
Jon-Luke
Anomalous crusader

I'm surprised Final Draft seems to be the least used and yet it seems to be marketed the most and the most readily available...

“Those who restrain their desires, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.”
~ William Blake

Old 06-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #9
dpaterso
No one of consequence!
SuperModerator

dpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You really can't go by what 10 voters say. While Celtx is finding fans among new aspiring screenwriters, FD and MM are well-established tools favored and endorsed by many pros and long-time aspiring screenwriters, who aren't going to change their habits on a whim.

-Derek
Now available from Eggplant Literary Productions
“Vampyres! All I'd heard about since I'd arrived in this
damned city was vampyres!”

Also on Amazon
dpaterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #10
icerose
Lost in School Work

icerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I use FD because a friend gave me their copy after only having it a couple of weeks and decided not to go into script writing. I love it, it's easy to use, but expensive, I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it.

I helped write this!!!!http://www.ibnbattuta.tv/
icerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:30 AM   #11
Steven Howard
figuring it all out

Steven Howard is on a distinguished road
Celtx is free and it runs on Linux, which is also free. That's a big draw for amateurs like me.
Steven Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #12
Jon-Luke
Anomalous crusader

I've been looking a Celtx, as an AD I find the story boarding option to be quite interesting, does anyone know if you can change the fonts and the layout of the storyboards?

~ William Blake

Old 12-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
Shaun P. Spratling
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Shaun P. Spratling is on a distinguished road
I found CeltX while I was trying to avoid spending 200 bucks on Final Draft, and while it's a very good program, it's open source. And while open source can be good, it always lacks in a lot of areas, especially documentation. And I found that I just didn't need all of the other pre-production features, which rendered it kind of pointless. I broke down and bought Final Draft 7 for the Mac, and it is expensive as hell, but it was worth it. It is easily the easiest and strongest screenwriting program on the market. I guess I could have just pirated it, but I prefer the software people get paid for their work.
Shaun P. Spratling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:42 PM   #14
scan2001

scan2001 is on a distinguished road
Final Draft is the way to go. It is expensive, but it worth every cent.
scan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #15
slm22186

slm22186 is on a distinguished road
I'm using Final Draft. I like it. You still have to format a bit but overall it's a good program .

slm22186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:29 AM   #16
bbsan

bbsan is on a distinguished road
Final Draft was given to me by an author who thought I showed promise and talent.

I'm still hoping he was right.
bbsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #17
sekime
Writing and learning

sekime is on a distinguished road
Fade In Pro

Last edited by sekime; 02-09-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: I'm very happy I'm using Fade In Pro now!
sekime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
MyBrainReallyHurts
No, it really doesn't.

MyBrainReallyHurts is on a distinguished road
Scrivener for the research/outline/treatment. Celtx to write the actual script. Maybe one Christmas I will treat myself to Final Draft.
MyBrainReallyHurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #19
aikigypsy

aikigypsy is on a distinguished road
CeltX because it's free, and I'm just trying out screenwriting (I mostly write novels and short non-fiction).
aikigypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #20
Barking Tree

Barking Tree is on a distinguished road
Scrivener for research/treatment/planning and Fade In Pro for the script.
Barking Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #21
Summonere

Summonere is a glorious beacon of lightSummonere is a glorious beacon of light
Open Office. Yeah. I format everything manually, same way I did with Microsoft Word.
Summonere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #22
lefty23
figuring it all out

lefty23 is on a distinguished road
Movie magic for me. Used to have final draft but took an online class at UCLA and MM was required. I guess i've just gotten used to it because i still use it.
lefty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:46 AM   #23
KarmaHead
Winston

KarmaHead is on a distinguished road
I use Celtx for a first draft or for short scripts I plan to use, and FD for feature scripts and any final scripts.

I prefer Celtx out of the two, though.
KarmaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #24
thorjansen

thorjansen is on a distinguished road
I futzed around with Fade In for a bit, just out of curiosity really. Not free, but pretty cheap. I have no idea how people rate this software, I have MM too (though it only works on my PPC until I upgrade).
Old 04-26-2013, 03:48 AM   #25
juniper
Always curious.

juniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Anyone use "Save the Cat" software, based on the book by Blake Snyder?

https://www.writersstore.com/save-th...&rid=233816951

“Inspiration is for amateurs — the rest of us just show up and get to work.” Artist Chuck Close

"For all my dreams, I am what I do." --David K. Reynolds, Constructive Living guru

blogging (sporadically) at http://www.katjuniper.blogspot.com, tweeting (sometimes) as @KatJuniper
juniper is offline   Reply With Quote