Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Self-Publishing: Print, Digital, Papyrus or Clay
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
Stephanie Golden
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Stephanie Golden is on a distinguished road
Photo-heavy ebook?

My collaborator wants to create a series of short ebooks she can sell off her website and elsewhere. The difficulty is that they would include step-by-step exercise instructions illustrated by photos, which means the formatting has to be able to put photos reliably on the same screen with the steps they illustrate in all platforms.

I was able to format my own straight-text book for Amazon and Smashwords, but this level of formatting is beyond my skills--if it's even possible. Could anyone tell me whether it is? Would we need a differently formatted file for each platform? If so, there must be people out there whom I can hire to do it, yes?

Maybe a PDF would be better, formatted for a small page?
Slaying the Mermaid: Women and the Culture of Sacrifice: available on Kindle and Smashwords
Stephanie Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Photo ebooks are a nightmare outside of pdf unless you are pretty skilled. If pictures have to appear any way other than serial order, full width... I would suggest a professional formatter or sticking with pdf.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #3
Stephanie Golden

Thanks--you've pretty much confirmed what I suspected.
Slaying the Mermaid: Women and the Culture of Sacrifice: available on Kindle and Smashwords
Old 11-14-2012, 03:46 AM   #4
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Another option is to modify the images by adding the instructions at the bottom, top or side (preferably top or bottom since the width is more limited). Then, when you insert the image, the text and image are all together.

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
ABinBoston

ABinBoston is on a distinguished road
Have a look at this template. I used it for an all photo based book for the newer Kindle devices.

http://codecanyon.net/item/kf8fixed-...author=U-DO-IT

AB
ABinBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABinBoston View Post
Have a look at this template. I used it for an all photo based book for the newer Kindle devices.

http://codecanyon.net/item/kf8fixed-...author=U-DO-IT

AB
Were you able to re-use the template or did you need to pay $20 for each e-book you created?

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
sunandshadow
Impractical Fantasy Animal

sunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for President
Another option is to put the text into images, locking it's relationship to the illustrations. This can interfere with searching within the document & etc. though.
sunandshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Laer Carroll
Aerospace engineer turned writer

Laer Carroll has a spectacular auraLaer Carroll has a spectacular aura
You can do it. The following Amazon guide shows you exactly how.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000729511

Also from that page you can download some examples. You can then modify them to suit your particular project - an option which can make the instructions in the guide more understandable.

There is also a free ebook which you can get at the following link for the more general task of creating any ebook for the Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007URVZJ6

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
Stephanie Golden

Wow! things have changed since I did my own ebook. And that wasn't so very long ago. Thanks for this info.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Having bought Kindle books with illustration... well. I would suggest that it doesn't tend to work out as planned. The kindle book I am reading writing now is meant to simply have occasional full screen illustrations but in fact the text is trying to wrap and it is a mess.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Absolute Visions Anthology of spec fic stories and illustrations by Absolute Write members has black and white illustrations, but I had to hand-code the HTML for Kindle, and even then, I'm not really satisfied with the way the same book behaves on earlier Kindles.

My publisher produces attractive versions of the print books with many color illustrations but they're targeting iBooks customers.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #12
Laer Carroll
Aerospace engineer turned writer

Laer Carroll has a spectacular auraLaer Carroll has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
I'm not really satisfied with the way the same book behaves on earlier Kindles.
The earlier Kindles support a fairly limited subset of HTML, so this is not surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
The kindle book I am reading writing now is meant to simply have occasional full screen illustrations but in fact the text is trying to wrap and it is a mess.
The fault is likely that of the one who created the ebook. There is an art to it, and some people do it better than others. You can master all the technical aspects of creating an ebook and still do a bad job.

The old advice to Keep it Simple is great advice. People who try elaborate effects need to keep in mind that as complexity increases, the difficulty of doing something well increase EXPONENTIALLY.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #13
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laer Carroll View Post
The earlier Kindles support a fairly limited subset of HTML, so this is not surprising.
It's not that limited; the problem isn't in the book engine, it's in the display.

It sucks.

It's not even as good as a 16 shades of gray Mac PowerBook 170 from 1992

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks for the links everyone. I was looking for answers to this as well. I have a book that is mostly text except for 8 pages in the middle with B & W photos.

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

For an ebook might it not make more sense to put the illustrated instructions at the beginning or end where they are easiest to find?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #16
Stephanie Golden

Can't do it for an exercise book. The illustrations need to be next to the steps of the exercise that they illustrate.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #17
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

It seems to me that if they are all clumped in one section they will be away from the relevant text regardless of where you put them. But maybe I am missing something.