Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > AW Writing Lab > NaNoWriMo and Beyond
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #401
folkchick
Not a new kid

folkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputation
30's . . . 50's? F*ckallY'all. I'm only at 24,280.

The Starlights—gritty young adult (querying)

blog & twitter
folkchick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #402
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I got an easy 3k today! I've really slowed down this week.

3k so 44,998

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #403
Mirth
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Mirth is on a distinguished road
6k and... decreasing!!

I have an important exam on November 25 and not much time or brains to anything else, except a well-deserved procrastination time.

After this I will have FIVE days to finish a novel. Did I mention that this is my first novel?

I'll have to hit 8.8k every day, so I'm wondering...

...is that even possible? Anyone else here going through this?
Mirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #404
KVL
practical experience, FTW

KVL has a spectacular auraKVL has a spectacular aura
My eldest came down with chicken pox a few days ago. It's been an interesting few days.

19,220 and counting.

This Twitter thing.
KVL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:16 AM   #405
VeronicaX

VeronicaX has a spectacular aura
From a minor breakdown yesterday, I'm now at 22,144.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #406
TNK
The door is ajar.

TNK is a shiny, shiny jewelTNK is a shiny, shiny jewel
I just got the weirdest idea for a novella from the latest pep talk. My brain scares me sometimes.

Oh and I wrote 1,765 words today.

Last edited by TNK; 11-17-2012 at 02:14 AM.
TNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:21 AM   #407
Chrisla

Chrisla has a spectacular aura
I just passed the 35,000 mark today, so I think I'm going to make it this year. But I've had so many second thoughts, better ideas, and just plain cliche stuff I've kept pushing to the bottom, I don't know if I'll ever be able to make sense of this later!

Website/Blog: http://christinegeurinphipps.com
Chrisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #408
vitani
The Tobermory Hamster

vitani is on a distinguished road
Was doing great today until I discovered the trailers for Les Miserables.

I'm now too excited to write. Nearly at 25k.
vitani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #409
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirth View Post
6k and... decreasing!!

I have an important exam on November 25 and not much time or brains to anything else, except a well-deserved procrastination time.

After this I will have FIVE days to finish a novel. Did I mention that this is my first novel?

I'll have to hit 8.8k every day, so I'm wondering...

...is that even possible? Anyone else here going through this?
Yes, it is possible. Last year I wrote 10k per day for 5 days, took a day off, then wrote 10k on day 7 bringing me to 60k.

I, however, would not advise this tactic to everyone. After that week, I didn't write again for over 6 months.

But I'm in a similar boat, Mirth. I have an exam on the 24th. I'm only intending to finish a WIP which is 2/3 done already, though. And it's a short novel, so I'll have about 20-25k to write in 6 days.

Aiming for 4k a day. I know I can do that and not get burnt out like I did with the 10k days.

Good luck on your exam and with your novel!
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #410
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
35k and looking forward to my first weekend off work! Writing, here I come!
Parametric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #411
rwm4768

rwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudge
122k and finished. I will probably devote the rest of NaNo to polishing it. I'm not one who likes to let the draft sit forever. I might also start another book, though I won't intend to finish it by the end of the month.

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 158K Revising
Sunweaver (Epic Fantasy): 104K Revising
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #412
Cliff Face

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good work!

I'm about halfway through my 22 lectures... It's sooooo boring! I mean, I could *listen* to the lectures that were given (I attended anyway) and that'd be more interesting, but that would kill my download limit. So I'm reading the (mostly sparse) notes on the slides.

It'd be better if I knew what to expect from the exam, but I've never taken a sociology exam before. This is a 1st-year topic...

I feel like I know a fair amount of the material but yeah, not sure what the exam questions will be like.

Off I go to read more...
Old 11-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #413
AllieKat
just a writer, unbranded

AllieKat is a shiny, shiny jewelAllieKat is a shiny, shiny jewel

I always feel a bit like I'm cheating since I'm a Rebel and work on various projects at once. But it's the only way it's worked for me so far.
AllieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #414
Jiloa
On Purpose

Jiloa has a spectacular auraJiloa has a spectacular aura
50,156 *exhausted but finished*

The story still has another 50k to go, but I'm not going to think about that right now...

"It’s inspiring to know life doesn’t have to be five days of lame followed by two days of relief - one of which is ruined by the knowledge that lame starts again tomorrow." – Megan Lyles
Jiloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #415
strawberryblondie
not quite dying

strawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to behold
4,974 words today and 55,145 words total, which is the end of this draft!
strawberryblondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #416
AllieKat
just a writer, unbranded

AllieKat is a shiny, shiny jewelAllieKat is a shiny, shiny jewel
Wow!! Finishing already? Congrats, you guys!!
AllieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #417
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I got 6k today so I'm a squeak over 48k

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #418
Mirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post
Yes, it is possible. Last year I wrote 10k per day for 5 days, took a day off, then wrote 10k on day 7 bringing me to 60k.

I, however, would not advise this tactic to everyone. After that week, I didn't write again for over 6 months.

But I'm in a similar boat, Mirth. I have an exam on the 24th. I'm only intending to finish a WIP which is 2/3 done already, though. And it's a short novel, so I'll have about 20-25k to write in 6 days.

Aiming for 4k a day. I know I can do that and not get burnt out like I did with the 10k days.

Good luck on your exam and with your novel!
Hey, thank you for the good luck wishes, Cliff Face. I like your posts.

Wow, what made you write this fast in the first week of Nano?

My novel is a short one too. I never wrote 8k in one day, however... and I kinda want to try it. But I think I should try to write at least 500 words a day until the exam. It will help me to stay interested and less burnt out in the end.

I hope this won't make me stop writing. I've never felt so motivated.

Good luck to you too!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #419
Ellielle
needs something clever to put here

Ellielle is a glorious beacon of lightEllielle is a glorious beacon of light
After a really slow few days, I broke 40k today. I'm still behind where I wanted to be, but I was happy to get ~4k done today. I'm hoping this'll be the end of the slump I was in.

Congrats to all of you who have finished!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #420
Cliff Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirth View Post
Wow, what made you write this fast in the first week of Nano?
Well, I'm crazy, basically. (And actually, it was *2* years ago, not last year! Whoops!)

But yeah, I had just outlined a trilogy, and figured each book would be 80k. I was initially aiming to write just the first one... Then I challenged myself to write all 3. Then I upped it to 10k a day regardless, just to see if I could do it.

And yeah... While I won in 5 days, I stopped writing at 60k. I didn't even finish the first novel until about 3 months ago, because I was just burnt out on writing.

Like I said - wouldn't recommend it.

I have yet to start the other 2 in that series. They're on the backburner while I get some other projects finished. This year, I'm a lot busier than when I did that crazy week, so just aiming to finish 20-25k.

(In December I'll edit 2 novels, then hopefully write 60-65k of #3 in this (different than the other one) series in January. Being at Uni, I don't have a lot of time for writing during the year. Gotta make the most of my break!)
Old 11-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #421
Mirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post
Well, I'm crazy, basically. (And actually, it was *2* years ago, not last year! Whoops!)

But yeah, I had just outlined a trilogy, and figured each book would be 80k. I was initially aiming to write just the first one... Then I challenged myself to write all 3. Then I upped it to 10k a day regardless, just to see if I could do it.

And yeah... While I won in 5 days, I stopped writing at 60k. I didn't even finish the first novel until about 3 months ago, because I was just burnt out on writing.

Like I said - wouldn't recommend it.

I have yet to start the other 2 in that series. They're on the backburner while I get some other projects finished. This year, I'm a lot busier than when I did that crazy week, so just aiming to finish 20-25k.

(In December I'll edit 2 novels, then hopefully write 60-65k of #3 in this (different than the other one) series in January. Being at Uni, I don't have a lot of time for writing during the year. Gotta make the most of my break!)
You tried to write a trilogy during Nano? That's the spirit! Don't think you're crazy at all. (actually I do )

The craziest thing I've done in writing was to begin a 100k novel when I was 13 and didn't know a thing about the craft. Failed miserably. Couldn't write again until... last year. haha

Poor story is still there waiting for me...

Next month I'll try to stick with 1k every day, even when I'm busy or tired. I think it's a good number.

I should be writing my 500 words now.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #422
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Mirth: The craziest thing I've done in writing was to begin a 100k novel when I was 13 and didn't know a thing about the craft.
Hi Mirth, should I say welcome? What the hay, Welcome to aye-dub. I typed a novel (yeah, on a Smith-Corona, single space, 197 pgs.) at the age of 18. It was bad. There were pirates in it. One was named Red Eye. Seriously.

Oh, man.

This NaNo business is getting in my craw, or maybe my panties are getting in a bunch, or maybe they're in my craw, I don't know. . . my point is, I ain't gonna make it. I know it. So what I'm going to do is keep plugging along. But for everyone who is halfway there or almost there, getting there or already there, Good deal, guys. Carry on.
“So, out with it, Dave. Why’d you call?”
I pictured her running the tip of her tongue across her plump upper lip and then, across her plump lower lip; then, sliding those plump, wet lips together.
She always played with her lips like that when she was feeling antsy.
/my little blog/

Last edited by kkbe; 11-17-2012 at 04:36 PM.
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #423
folkchick
Not a new kid

folkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputation
Hang in there, kkbe.

The Starlights—gritty young adult (querying)

blog & twitter
folkchick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #424
vitani
The Tobermory Hamster

vitani is on a distinguished road
Nearly at 26k. I'm determined to get caught up to 30k by the end of tomorrow.
vitani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #425
eternalised

eternalised has a spectacular auraeternalised has a spectacular aura
Congratulations to all the winners so far!

I ended up at 53k last night. I figure I still have about 10-15k to go to wrap this novel up, and NaNo gave me enough inspiration to start on the sequel as well, although I'm not sure about it. I may work on some other stuff first.

Yay!

eternalised is offline   Reply With Quote