Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #926
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't see the pitch. Can we see that somewhere?
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #927
tarak
for certain qualities of "sane"

tarak has earned our admirationtarak has earned our admirationtarak has earned our admirationtarak has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
I don't see the pitch. Can we see that somewhere?
I don't think they post anything until it gets past the next round, but I might be wrong about that. I can post it here, if that's okay?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #928
Calla Lily
On deadline for the next year or so
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Congrats and good luck!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #929
wonderactivist
move along, nothing to see here

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarak View Post
I don't know if this is really that brag worthy. But I decided to throw my revised-to-death ultra shiny MS into the amazon breakthrough novel contest, and I made it past the first round. Which only means someone liked my pitch. But still. At least someone liked my pitch!
Congratulations! That contest is. Big deal.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #930
tarak

tarak has earned our admirationtarak has earned our admirationtarak has earned our admirationtarak has earned our admiration
Thanks everyone for the congrats! I realized I'd posted something very close to the pitch I used back in query hell a while ago. It turns out the query letter was polished long before the manuscript was. A few words might have changed, but otherwise, the query/pitch is pretty much the same as what I link to below. I took a loooong time off from revising the manuscript. I told myself I didn't care and had forgotten all about the contest until yesterday when I remembered the first round results were being announced. Here's to hoping the reviewer who sees my first 5000 words in the next round wants to see more...

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...&postcount=253
Old 02-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #931
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oo, nice, tarak! And I love the name. Excellent and I hope you go the whole way!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #932
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I don't know if this is really that brag worthy. But I decided to throw my revised-to-death ultra shiny MS into the amazon breakthrough novel contest, and I made it past the first round. Which only means someone liked my pitch. But still. At least someone liked my pitch!

Congratulations, tarak.

Checked out your link and I love your pitch. Fingers crossed for the next stage.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #933
tarak

I really hope the person who reads my excerpt likes police procedurals. Otherwise, I'm sunk.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #934
Ken Hoss
Coming Soon

Ken Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputation
Nice, tarak! Love that you use FUBAR in there.

Good luck! With that QL, they'd be crazy to pass on it.

From Saving Private Ryan: A running gag throughout most of the movie.

Private Reiben - "Even if you think the mission's FUBAR, sir?
Captain Miller - "*Especially* if you think the mission's FUBAR. "

Upham - "What's FUBAR?"
Mellish - "Oh, it's German." (chuckles derisively)
Mellish - "Yeah."
Upham - "Never heard of that."

Mellish - "F***ed up beyond all recognition."
Upham - (Thinks for a moment) "FUBAR!"

Available on Amazon - Kindle and Paperback

Ken Hoss - Author
Ken Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #935
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the congrats! I realized I'd posted something very close to the pitch I used back in query hell a while ago. It turns out the query letter was polished long before the manuscript was. A few words might have changed, but otherwise, the query/pitch is pretty much the same as what I link to below. I took a loooong time off from revising the manuscript. I told myself I didn't care and had forgotten all about the contest until yesterday when I remembered the first round results were being announced. Here's to hoping the reviewer who sees my first 5000 words in the next round wants to see more...

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...&postcount=253
This is really cool, tarak!

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #936
lizmonster
possibly lost; not sure yet

lizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for President
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the congrats!
This is fabulous! Congratulations!

And I do love that title.
  • Add 10,000 words to the WIP (6,368/10,000)

In revisions: The Cold Between - military SF, 130,993
WIP: Blinding Faith (tentative) - SF/space opera, 24,750/120,000
lizmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #937
tarak

I fully expect to be drowning my sorrows on the 12th of March, but for now I'm in a happy place.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #938
knightrunnermat
practical experience, FTW

knightrunnermat is well-respected
Congrats, tarak! That's so awesome.

http://matthewgyoung.wordpress.com/
knightrunnermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 AM   #939
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Excellent query, I think. We use it as it's own word in our house, FUBARed, FUBARing, FUBARist (FU-BAR'-ist) being those who FUBAR.

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #940
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorySleuth View Post
Excellent query, I think. We use it as it's own word in our house, FUBARed, FUBARing, FUBARist (FU-BAR'-ist) being those who FUBAR.
Fubarista: someone who's royally f**ked up the coffee.

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #941
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesecondglance View Post
Old 02-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #942
MarkEsq
Clever title pending.

Location: In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasis of Austin.
MarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Now that's clever.

MarkEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #943
tarak

Quote:
I love that.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #944
Ken Hoss
Coming Soon

Ken Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputation
Quote:

ROTFLMAO!

Ken Hoss - Author
Old 02-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #945
Daddyo
been around a while

Daddyo has a spectacular auraDaddyo has a spectacular aura
The second book in my series featuring the dynamic crime fighting blues playing duo of Mitty Andersen and Pete Bolden went live on Amazon last week. The Devil's Blues is available only in print on Amazon at the moment. It will roll out on Kindle and be available at Barnes and Noble and a half dozen other retailers over the next few week. Barking Rain Press is offering eBooks in all formats and they also offer a free PDF of the first four chapters for those that wish for a preview.

Signed copies can be purchased from my website and blog listed in my signature.
Blog
RIVER BOTTOM BLUES--now available @ the usual suspects, my website/blog and Barking Rain Press
THE DEVIL'S BLUES--Ditto.
HOWLING MOUNTAIN BLUES--Due out early 2015
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:07 AM   #946
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Congratulations, Daddyo!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #947
tarak

Congrats, Daddyo!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #948
Ken Hoss
Coming Soon

Congrats, Daddyo!

Ken Hoss - Author
Old 02-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #949
Calla Lily
On deadline for the next year or so
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Congrats!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #950
lizmonster
possibly lost; not sure yet

lizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for President
Woo-hoo, book two!

Congratulations!
  • Add 10,000 words to the WIP (6,368/10,000)

In revisions: The Cold Between - military SF, 130,993
WIP: Blinding Faith (tentative) - SF/space opera, 24,750/120,000
lizmonster is offline   Reply With Quote