Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > International District
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #3226
Kimmy84
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Kimmy84 is on a distinguished road
Hi guys and girls,
Another aussie to add to the mix
But i dont drink, and havent written the sex scenes in my book yet... so, unless theres another topic on the menu i guess we can keep talking about the weather!
lol

bloggy business
Kimmy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #3227
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome!

This weather... Let me tell you, it's kicking my butt. It's 8am here and I'm sweating! Ack!

I need to move to Hobart!
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #3228
Kimmy84

Sydney is all over the place lately. Ranging from 36 one day to 22 the next... Its really playing havoc with my washing

bloggy business
Old 11-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #3229
Cliff Face

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
LOL.

What I've started doing is hanging my washing on a clothes horse thing inside the house. We need it during winter, when it can rain at any moment, but I also use it in summer, to avoid the spiders who love the washing line outside.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #3230
Kimmy84

HAHAHA,
Look at us a bunch of writers discussing the weather and our washing!
I have 6 kids, so I'd need LOTSA clothes horses! I do use them for towels but find my house is so cold inside even in summer that the washing takes so long to dry it starts to smell. Whack 'em in the dryer!

My other problem lately was gastro... Everyone had it but me... and everyone got sick in bed... so I had doonas, sheets, pillows, mattresses and lots of favourite cuddly things to get through the wash. Not to mention every towel in the house... and some socks... Some one managed to puke on their own socks... BLECH!

bloggy business
Old 11-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #3231
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy84 View Post
Sydney is all over the place lately. Ranging from 36 one day to 22 the next... Its really playing havoc with my washing
Interesting... I'm coming back home to Sydney for Christmas. I probably won't need my snow suit after all.
mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #3232
Cliff Face

Ugh, gastro's terrible.

I think I'll stick with having 0 children.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:56 AM   #3233
cooeedownunder
Grateful for the day

cooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Kimmy84 we have that all happening the same day here.

Help raise awareness for my missing sister, Tracey, by joining her facebook page - A Missing Person

FACEBOOK Blog Goodreads
------------------------------------

A Woman Transported Kindle

Unforgivable Kindle
cooeedownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 AM   #3234
cooeedownunder
Grateful for the day

cooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have I a 15 year old daughter and looking back on her early years, we never suffered from the gastro stuff, but nits, nits, nit and more nits.

We even took them to Fiji and my daughter had one very mortified mother. See I have really thick hair...

Help raise awareness for my missing sister, Tracey, by joining her facebook page - A Missing Person

FACEBOOK Blog Goodreads

Unforgivable Kindle
Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #3235
cooeedownunder
Grateful for the day

Oh, dear me. I didn't mean to kill the thread...

FACEBOOK Blog Goodreads

Unforgivable Kindle
Old 11-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #3236
Cliff Face

Yeah, you were supposed to kill the nits instead!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #3237
mccardey

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm betting this thread wasn't approved by those hard-working people at Tourism Australia?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #3238
Cliff Face

It must be a hard job... "Come to a hot, dry country full of things that can kill you!" LOL.

Don't get me wrong, I think Australia's doing a lot of things right. But yeah... All the things we're famous for aren't exactly big selling points.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #3239
mccardey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post

It must be a hard job... "Come to a hot, dry country full of things that can kill you!" LOL.

Don't get me wrong, I think Australia's doing a lot of things right. But yeah... All the things we're famous for aren't exactly big selling points.
Almost everyone I've met while travelling has said how much they'd love to visit Australia. Of course, I keep pretty quiet about the headlice and the national drinking problem.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #3240
Cliff Face

LOL. But yeah, every adult I've met in Australia drinks too much.

Actually, that's changed recently. I gave up drinking last year, and dad doesn't drink any more, which was very unexpected. I think he would still drink a lot, except he has an iron problem. No booze allowed.

Mum would probably drink still, except she's allergic to alcohol. When she found out and joked that it might be hereditary, I thought that would be a fate worse than death, not being able to drink.

And y'know what? Nearly a year without alcohol, and I hardly miss it.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #3241
mccardey

Yes, that's my point. I think Australia likes to talk itself down, in a way that other nations don't tend to do. I think it's a pity.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #3242
Kimmy84

Yeah, I'm of the 'No Drinking' variety. Still have a beer on a birthday or at a big BBQ, but just one... I seem to have no interest in drinking. Also, its VERY hard to look after 6 kids when your hung over! Oldest is 12 youngest twins are only 18mnths.

Australia rocks, 'nuff said!

bloggy business
Old 11-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #3243
SaraP
Proud to be a Sparklist
AW Moderator

SaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccardey View Post
Yes, that's my point. I think Australia likes to talk itself down, in a way that other nations don't tend to do. I think it's a pity.
We talk ourselves down constantly - and what's more, we have very little to show to prove we don't suck.

I think it might be a case of the grass always being greener on the other side, you know?

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

It takes strength to be gentle and kind

The Smiths

Life getting you down? Come get a pick-me-up.
SaraP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #3244
Cliff Face

Yup, grass is greener is a common problem, it seems.

We should start a new tourism website... "Australia: The grass is so green you'll need to wear sunglasses at night!"

Hmm. It might need some work...
Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #3245
Kimmy84

Haha, very good point. I guess its the people here that bring the tourists over then? We got rocks, trees... Oh a bridge and most Americans will swear we really do ride kangaroos to school That's braggable right?

bloggy business
Old 11-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #3246
Cliff Face

Totally braggable.

Kangaroos have probably made the average American think about Australia more often than our political presence. Although maybe I'm talking out of my arse... Australia came off quite well after the economic crisis hit England and America quite badly. Our dollar's never been stronger, as far as I know.

So chances are we're being thought of more often now. Like we're stepping out of our "Young country" persona and actually kicking butt.

/ramble

(The previous ramble may be total horseshit for all I know. This is why I'm not studying politics at Uni!)
Old 11-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #3247
Kimmy84

Well, Iv'e also heard we have a funny accent... Now living in Sydney, I know I have NO accent. Iv'e lived in 4 states and some of them have accents, but Sydney is too multicultral I think to form an accent.

Im with you CF, as much as people complain about politics, I think we did ok... But i know nothing either!

bloggy business
Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #3248
Cliff Face

Is anyone going to see The Hobbit on Boxing Day? I haven't ordered the tickets, so I'm pretty sure it'll be sold out for the first few days at my local cinema. But I'm planning on seeing it before New Year's.

But what I find baffling is this: The movie was shot in New Zealand. The first screening is in New Zealand. We're New Zealand's immediate neighbour. Yet we're getting the movie 2 weeks after most countries. In fact, Australia is second-last to get the movie (last is Iceland, if memory serves).

What's up with that?

But yeah, I've been rewatching LOTR these past few days. I find it very hard to sit through a 3-hour movie in a single day, just coming back to it periodically, but I'm 2 hours into the second movie now. Such a great film.

I think the first one is still my favourite, though.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #3249
cooeedownunder
Grateful for the day

I wish I was going to see it, but no, can't meet up for coffee.

FACEBOOK Blog Goodreads

Unforgivable Kindle

Last edited by cooeedownunder; 11-29-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #3250
cooeedownunder
Grateful for the day

Has anyone noticed our little thread has almost 100,000 views, despite us being drunks, time wasters and layabouts?

So perhaps we aren't doing that bad for tourism...

FACEBOOK Blog Goodreads

Unforgivable Kindle