Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #5376
Project Deadlight
practical experience, FTW

Project Deadlight is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by fihr View Post
...and I now have the response to my query.

116 day R from Lamplight. Made it to the final round though, so I'm pleased. (Project Deadlight - hope yours is more successful!)
Thanks Fihr :/ Sorry to hear yours. They are obviously considering the final round subs now then. And you know my luck with the final round these last few months...
Project Deadlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #5377
akaSylvia
Doesn't Bite

akaSylvia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai View Post
Ahaha, that's awesome! I, of course, take all the credit since I called it back on the 10th:
It's true! Could you please put in a good word for my Dragon story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzioli View Post
This is usually the type of thing I frown on in rejectomancy, but this time I feel only happy for you! Congrats! That's freakin' amazing.
Yeah, I wouldn't normally but I just couldn't bear to lose the context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallithrix View Post
Ok, when you put it like that I guess there's some logic there

But I'm still thinking that waiting 2 years for $1000 is like driving 20 miles to save 2p a litre of fuel...
Yeah, definitely about the prestige more than the money. Also, bear in mind that if you make it past the six month point, it means you've been passed up to the senior editors, so that would be a really silly point at which to withdraw. I think if you are counting on an acceptance, you need to allow for a one-year turnaround for Tor. Mine was excessive, to be fair.

There are plenty of people who treat them as an invite-only market but Tor.com have published at least one story from the slush that I know of.That story won a Hugo.

For the record, my response was from Liz Gorinsky. It was very clear about what she did and did not like about the story and ended with:

I do hope things will speed up considerably now that we've recovered from the massive initial flood and have several more hands on deck to do first reads.

Thanks all for the good wishes!
akaSylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #5378
V1c
Hmmmmm

V1c is well-respected
1 million day R from L0re (really, more like 160s or something) after I queried. Yes, I might have a couple band-aids left.
V1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #5379
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Congratulations on the sale, Sylvia! Great to hear, and a nice change of pace for this thread
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #5380
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
17 day form R from Strange Horizons. At least this one wasn't signed by a slushie.

(And now I can send it to Clockwork Phoenix.)
The Spider Thief and The Sorcerer: Crowded Magazine
The Collections Agent: Available NOW!

A.G. Carpenter
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #5381
MeretSeger
The Alydar of Writers

MeretSeger has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Today I queried a market after I felt they had sat on my story long enough (well beyond the rest of the slush submitted at a similar date). Their response was that they rejected it on the 4th of October. I don't doubt it, but I read through every email I receive before I erase it, including the spam, so this one just plain got lost in transit. Lesson learned anew. Holding off a due query helps no one.
How long did it take to get an answer to your query? I'm about to query about a query. Talk about feeling rejected

oh, and btw: Analog is showing movement on DT after a long hiatus from sending out Rs

Last edited by MeretSeger; 11-14-2012 at 09:36 PM.
MeretSeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #5382
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Marzioli has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeretSeger View Post
How long did it take to get an answer to your query? I'm about to query about a query. Talk about feeling rejected
I queried two markets recently, Crossed Genres and Lamplight. Crossed answered within a day, and Lamplight simply sent my rejection notice after a two weeks wait.

Recent Publications:
- "The (Zeroes and) Ones We Love" @ Ares Magazine, July 2014

- "Splotch of Red" @ DarkFuse Anthology Series, June 2014

Blog:
Tales From Marz

Last edited by Marzioli; 11-15-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Marzioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #5383
O'Dandelo

O'Dandelo is well-respected
My only experience with L@mpl1ght has been a withdrawal, but it seems to me that they're showing their youth quite a bit.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:12 AM   #5384
DarkSongofErrin

DarkSongofErrin is on a distinguished road
Another form rejection to add to the collection.

What do you do when your not getting any better?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #5385
Project Deadlight

Did I miss something? Nine has shut its doors!

They cite too many subs as one of the contributing factors.

Maybe some of these newer markets need to just limit their submission windows to give themselves a chance. Or limit subs to 1 per 6 months. They have my sympathy.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #5386
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
0-day R from Chrome Baby (new market). It was just a silly piece that I decided to throw at them, 'cause you know, what the heck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Deadlight View Post
Did I miss something? Nine has shut its doors!

They cite too many subs as one of the contributing factors.

Maybe some of these newer markets need to just limit their submission windows to give themselves a chance. Or limit subs to 1 per 6 months. They have my sympathy.
Oh yeah, I mentioned that in the other thread.

That seems to be the issue with a lot of markets, too many subs. Either they drown in them or wind up with slow response times. Doesn't seem to click in their head that they don't have to continuously be open to submission. You know, take a break here or there or grab more readers.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #5387
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
That seems to be the issue with a lot of markets, too many subs. Either they drown in them or wind up with slow response times. Doesn't seem to click in their head that they don't have to continuously be open to submission. You know, take a break here or there or grab more readers.
Reading their statement, it seems more like a loss of love for the business rather than simply a time issue.

Recent Publications:

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Old 11-15-2012, 04:45 AM   #5388
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Reading their statement, it seems more like a loss of love for the business rather than simply a time issue.
I took as it they just couldn't keep up, since they say:
Quote:
The slush pile grew, and in conversations that started as private then moved slowly to the editing table, we realized that between the three of us, there was no longer enough steam to keep this ship moving.
Obviously a loss of love played a part; if they really wanted to keep going, they would've grabbed some extra readers or worked something out. Shame, but that's how the cookie crumbles.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #5389
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Yup. A shame, too. I wasn't wild about their pay approach, but it was a nice mag while it lasted.

Recent Publications:

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Old 11-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #5390
Project Deadlight

216 day R from the L1terarian. It was a one line rejection. I don't mind a long wait but that was a bit miff-inducing considering they ignored my query two month ago.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #5391
fihr

fihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Deadlight View Post
216 day R from the L1terarian. It was a one line rejection. I don't mind a long wait but that was a bit miff-inducing considering they ignored my query two month ago.
Sorry to hear that. One line, after 216 days and a two month old query. I think I'd not feel much like bothering with them again.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #5392
Eliza C
We’ll see what happens from here…

Eliza C is a shiny, shiny jewelEliza C is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by fihr View Post
I think I'd not feel much like bothering with them again.
My thought exactly. Sorry for the miff-inducing R, Project Deadlight.

Thiery's Sons, complete at 115k
A Borrowed Hell, complete at 71k
Eliza C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #5393
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
17-day personal rejection from Untied Shoelaces. My story unfortunately went against one of their stated preferences, so nope (should have read their submissions guide again before sending it in. Oh well).

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
The site for manga news and reviews.

Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #5394
Project Deadlight

I got an untied sl one too. They always make me smile. Got to love that guy...

On the downside I just realised that every single novel query (of 30) had a typo in. Including the two that got full requests. I must have read it 1000 times and still it got through. Aghh!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #5395
Brynn

Brynn is on a distinguished road
I got an untied R as well.

Quote:
Not bad, but I have yet to read a second person point of view story that I could get into. One time, once, I got like half way into a second person point of view story, but that healed up pretty nicely.
I love it! It made me smile, it was much nicer than I expected from this market (having heard bits and pieces) and now I know never to sub anything in second person to them again.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #5396
missesdash
You can't sit with us!

missesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And a 21 day 4 from Strange Horizons. At least it made it past readers. The R was form, however.

First R for the story, going to shoot it off to somewhere else.
missesdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #5397
Brynn

Brynn is on a distinguished road
40-day form R from Buzzy.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #5398
fihr

fihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to behold
39-day form R from Buzzy.

Out it goes again.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #5399
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Finally got the "Cr0wdid" results. I'm glad two of you made it, but what a long time for nothing. No one even commented on my story, or else there's still a flaw in the system.

Recent Publications:

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Old 11-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #5400
defcon6000
Banned

Quote:
Finally got the "Cr0wdid" results. I'm glad two of you made it, but what a long time for nothing. No one even commented on my story, or else there's still a flaw in the system.
Ditto. Unless you count: "Thanks for your interest in Cr0wded Magazine." --lol!

Whatever happened to the 2 readers they were going to have?

Apparently only 10 people looked at my story. Meh. Next time I'll submit flash.