Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #51
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My dad has a saying: unions happen to bad companies.
Xelebes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #52
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The executives got an 80% pay hike in 2011, while in Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Wow.

veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #53
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
The executives got an 80% pay hike in 2011, while in Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Wow.
That's unconscionable, IMO. WTF doesn't Chapter 11 require a freeze on compensation, or a COLA limit?

The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.~Unknown

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist

This is not your grandfather's Evil Empire.
Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #54
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This is where I read it: http://seattletimes.com/html/soundec...d_hostess.html

Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #55
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
That seems a pretty astute summation. Thanks!

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #56
Gravity
Seen 'em come, seen 'em go

Location: Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
Gravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
As a college kid I once pulled the pink coconut covering off a Sno-Ball so I could eat the cake first, and the covereing next. Lo and behold when I did I found the cake was really just an upside-down Hostess Cupcake, sans icing.

Right then two things occurred to me: a), I guess this is where the cupcakes with dings and blemishes end up, and b), this is a pretty slick way use "everything but the squeal" (as we say down South); with thinking like this, these guys will always make money.

I appear to have been right about the first point, and wrong about the second.

commercially published: Abyss, Until the Last Dog Dies, When Skylarks Fall, To Skin a Cat, and Last Call

agent Chip MacGregor presently querying: Pitfall

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com/blog.htm
check out my blog; c'mon, you know you want to.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #57
RichardGarfinkle
Shipping Tropos
AW Moderator

RichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
As a college kid I once pulled the pink coconut covering off a Sno-Ball so I could eat the cake first, and the covereing next. Lo and behold when I did I found the cake was really just an upside-down Hostess Cupcake, sans icing.

Right then two things occurred to me: a), I guess this is where the cupcakes with dings and blemishes end up, and b), this is a pretty slick way use "everything but the squeal" (as we say down South); with thinking like this, these guys will always make money.

I appear to have been right about the first point, and wrong about the second.
That particular trick isn't unique to Hostess or indeed unique to bad baked goods sources like Hostess. A lot of decent bakers (amateur and professional) will have a small basic set of recipes that they then vary with different shapes, icings etc.

Since the actual experience of eating the confection has so many different components that are meant to work together the same cake under two different icings need not be the same experience for the eater.

Overdue Considerations -- my blog

Now on Smashwords
RichardGarfinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #58
Richard Paolinelli
Sockpuppet

Richard Paolinelli is on a distinguished road
Just got back from the store, the guy in line behind me had bought every package - boxed and individual wrapped - twinkie in the store. Said he had gone to the Hostess store across the street and they had been cleaned out of every ding dong, cupcake, twinkie and ho-ho in the building.

I confess I consume the occasional Hostess product from time to time, but I have to shake my head at the Hostess hording going on out there.

Then again, I have a friend in Mexico that gets me Delaware Punch since I can't buy it here in the states anymore so who am I to judge, lol.
Richard Paolinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #59
Shadow Dragon
the philosophical pegasus

Shadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolness
Jokes on the hoarders when their twinkies go bad in a month or so. Unless they decide to eat that many in a month, which certainly isn't a good idea either.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #60
Richard Paolinelli
Sockpuppet

Richard Paolinelli is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashbaby View Post

Why Obamacare? Particularly with a unionized workforce, the cost of offering insurance is absolutely through the roof. That was in play long, long before Obamacare.
Because Obamacare allows the government to hammer a business with back-breaking fines if the business does not offer what the government thinks is right.

I'm sorry, but I have yet to meet a bureaucrat in any state or country who had the first clue about what they were doing and I prefer to trust my own judgement when it comes to matters involving my money, my business and my personal life.

And it will only get worse, so why would anyone in his/her right put up with it. Get out while you can and since "the people" have spoken that they want Big Government, then by all means let Big Government figure out how to help all the newly unemployed and underemployed that will come along as businesses figure out it isn't worth it anymore.

You are going to see a lot more Hostess-type situations as well as businesses deciding to cap an employee's weekly hours at 28 (those 40 Denny's in Florida, for example) to avoid the financial hit from Obamacare, IMHO.
Richard Paolinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #61
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

1) The have already been in Chapter 11 twice before the new requirement
2) If they can't operate at a level where they pay minimum wage and cost-shared benefits the business is not viable.

Letting them carry one while full time honest workers can't have healthcare and the incompetent management get pay rises is not a solution.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #62
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dragon View Post
Jokes on the hoarders when their twinkies go bad in a month or so. Unless they decide to eat that many in a month, which certainly isn't a good idea either.
Going back to the thread title.

"E-bay" or "From every market a sub-market grows."

Kobo Kindle Nook iBook

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Old 11-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #63
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paolinelli View Post

I'm sorry, but I have yet to meet a bureaucrat in any state or country who had the first clue about what they were doing and I prefer to trust my own judgement when it comes to matters involving my money, my business and my personal life.

And it will only get worse, so why would anyone in his/her right put up with it. Get out while you can and since "the people" have spoken that they want Big Government, then by all means let Big Government figure out how to help all the newly unemployed and underemployed that will come along as businesses figure out it isn't worth it anymore.
That may very well be your experience, Richard, but it doesn't make it universal.

Focusing more on the event at hand, I'm certainly not a fan of unions in their current incarnation, and I can't blame any privately owned business that wishes to close it's doors. I know several small businesses who have done exactly that, usually because their market left them or there was no family left to leave the business to.

However, in this case, it has also already been pointed out that the various run of investors have taken turns raiding the business's coffers or mismanaging the shrinking business while reneging on promises and commitments made to employees, regardless of whether or not those commitments were made in good faith. we can't blame their situation on the current government regulation, let alone potential future ones.

It looks, from the outside, more like investors took turns picking over the carcass while ignoring the workers that were keeping it warm.

Kobo Kindle Nook iBook

Read the Newbie Guide.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #64
missesdash
You can't sit with us!

missesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm personally in favor of gutting the employer based healthcare system (where else in the first world does a family also lose health coverage when they become unemployed?). I kind of agree Obamacare will do it, but I don't think it's unintentional. It'll make way for a public option.
missesdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #65
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
… ingredients in Twinkies:

enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable and/or animal shortening – containing one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and canola oil, and beef fat, dextrose, whole eggs, modified corn starch, cellulose gum, whey, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), salt, cornstarch, corn flour, corn syrup, solids, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, wheat gluten, calcium sulphate, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, yellow #5, red #40.

Sure sound appetizing. Wholesome too. Eggs are in ‘em and beef.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #66
Seraph
You Know We're Gonna Do It Right

Seraph is a shiny, shiny jewelSeraph is a shiny, shiny jewel
Obama's reform was pretty half-assed. Shouldda just made it single-payer, everybody covered like everywhere else. That might have been politically impossible, though, don't know the circumstances well enough, and he achieved what he could. IMO Obamacare's definitely a step in the right direction, and when people start to tangibly feel the benefits should make further reform easier.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #67
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paolinelli View Post
I have yet to meet a bureaucrat in any state or country who had the first clue about what they were doing
Bureaucrats infesting the management of many large corporations can be fully as stupid and probably more venal than are those in governmental positions. Methinks it probable that these types have contributed mightily to the failure of this company.

Understanding this story requires the sage advice "Deep Throat" gave to Bob Woodward during the investigation of the Watergate mess:

"Follow the money."

It certainly didn't go to the workers, and I'm pretty sure it isn't going to the labor union.

caw
Old 11-17-2012, 02:22 AM   #68
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have to speak up for some of these investors. Buying ailing companies doesn't have to be an evil thing Even venture capitalists aren't all evil.

Depending on the industry, of course, you even see former employees buying up companies and restructuring them. Or buying equipment from them and making their own start-up, etc.

If a company is in bankruptcy, the court gets to tell the investors how things are going to be, btw. Before the court steps in, investors can be terribly immoral, but not so much after. That's mostly up to the court.

Dad typically works for the banks, so the decisions are made according to what the court will allow and what investors can still fund, in combination. He and his partners get put in as acting CEO and COO, due to the company's legal agreements with the banks (and the court). It's all very controlled at that point. Raising executive wages, for instance, isn't allowed in bankruptcy court unless a judge thinks it's a good idea for some reason.

Outside of bankruptcy, things are much different. You do have too much picking of the bones during bankruptcy, but that's usually because it's hard to find creative new ideas that actually convince a judge and investors that they'll work to bring the company back around. It's much better to try to fix all of that before it comes to bankruptcy, as you might imagine. In any case, the judges are much more objective than anyone else, and they do look at both workers and investors in making their decisions.

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:42 AM   #69
frimble3
Heckuva good sport

frimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Twinkies will still be available in Canada as all Hostess products are licensed by Saputo here. Although the only Hostess products I've seen on the local storeshelves have been Ruffles and Wonderbread.
Woo-hoo for the fortune we will make from cross-border shoppers, and indeed, why wouldn't the Canadian companies who sell prescription drugs to Americans on-line not carry Twinkies, etc, as well? Bricks-and-mortar drug stores do!

I gather that the 'Grand Plan' is to sell off the Hostess Assets, so some other outfit will by the license for Twinkies, etc, and carry right on, probably in the same plants, with the same people (right after they get rid of the unions, and roll back the wages).
frimble3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:48 AM   #70
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Mr. Williebee, welcome back to the United States. Have you anything to declare?

*hides half empy box*
*hides crumbly napkin*

"Mmpfh?"

Kobo Kindle Nook iBook

Read the Newbie Guide.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:58 AM   #71
sulong
It's a matter of what is.

sulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimble3 View Post

I gather that the 'Grand Plan' is to sell off the Hostess Assets, so some other outfit will by the license for Twinkies, etc, and carry right on, probably in the same plants, with the same people (right after they get rid of the unions, and roll back the wages).
This is what I think is going to happen. The Twinkie, ho-ho names are too popular to let go to waste.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #72
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulong View Post
This is what I think is going to happen. The Twinkie, ho-ho names are too popular to let go to waste.
... quite possibly so. Makes sense. Will pose a question though. Have there been large companies in the past that have folded, w/o resurrected offshoots? If so, then Hostess may go the way of the dodo bird too despite its enormity.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:23 AM   #73
sulong
It's a matter of what is.

sulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
... quite possibly so. Makes sense. Will pose a question though. Have there been large companies in the past that have folded, w/o resurrected offshoots? If so, then Hostess may go the way of the dodo bird too despite its enormity.
Atari comes to mind right off the top of my head.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari
Old 11-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #74
Vince524
Will write for bacon!

Vince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeiae View Post
A brilliant FB post from a friend:
I'm stealing this!

Vince524 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #75
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Possibly. But in terms of the product vacuum, that would get filled very quickly. Sara Lee, Nabisco, Keebler, God knows who else, are already paying rapt attention to this episode, and their product people no doubt already have contingency plans for mass-production of similar cheap crap snack foods aimed explicitly at the insatiable market in the U.S. for cheap crap snack foods.

caw