Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #76
Snappy
A new year, a new avatar

Snappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I queried Susannah Taylor with the first 50 pages based on conference guidelines. Not only did she respond within a day, it was one of the kindest rejections I've ever received. When many agents have a no response policy it was wonderful to receive thoughtful feedback even if it was a rejection.

I would certainly query this agency again with future projects.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #77
pavtbr
practical experience, FTW

pavtbr is on a distinguished road
Query sent

I sent a query to Susannah this morning. Will post again once I have received a response.
pavtbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:47 AM   #78
pavtbr

pavtbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavtbr View Post
I sent a query to Susannah this morning. Will post again once I have received a response.
Got a response today declining my inquiry. Glad for the quick turnaround time though. Onward to my next queries...!
pavtbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #79
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Queried Ms. Taylor today on a fantasy novel.
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #80
WriteStarfish

WriteStarfish is on a distinguished road
Richard requested 50 pages about a month ago. He replied the same day to my query letter and, based upon what I've seen here, I thought the response might be quicker. Anyone hear anything recently or know if they're experiencing delays?
WriteStarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #81
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Susannah sent me an R within two days of my query. From what I've heard, partials take a bit longer. You should hear back within three months; after that, I might nudge.
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #82
leebattersby
Half Man, Half Writer

leebattersby is on a distinguished road
I contacted Richard Henshaw via email on 9 June 2011, and received a response within a week asking for a partial, which I sent on 25 June. He requested a full manuscript 2 weeks later, and I sent it to him on 13 July. He took me on as a client in late October. He's negotiated my first contract with a publisher and kept me well informed at each step, and I was very pleased with the renegotiated contract we've ended up with. There was a bit of a gap between the request for the full and the next contact after that, but other than that I've found him open, friendly, and very good to deal with.
If he applied his time
But he started out standing on corners
And talking out loud, too loud
You see he couldn't believe in himself or the world
Or anything he heard

Madness, Johnny The Horse
leebattersby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #83
Decker
Old fish; alligator skin

Decker is on a distinguished road
Congratulations Lee. It's great to hear the success stories. Gives hope to the rest of us.
Decker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #84
dolce87
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

dolce87 is on a distinguished road
I submitted a query letter moments ago. Will update if there were any news
dolce87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #85
BRDurkin
Trigger-Happy Pyromaniac Writer

BRDurkin is a shiny, shiny jewelBRDurkin is a shiny, shiny jewel
Currently can't get onto their website, which was not the case a couple weeks ago, because I was able to bookmark it. P&E is also reporting their link broken. Both Richard Henshaw and Susannah Taylor take the genres I'd be querying, but does anyone know where else I might find some info on them as individuals? I'd want to know which of the two would be the most appropriate for my specific work.

Thanks!

Twitter

WIPs:
Kricket's Key - 65,525/90,000 (Steampunk Fantasy)

Into the Shade - 27,849/75,000 (Military Sci-Fi Thriller)

"Abyss" - Sci-fi Short for Kindle
BRDurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:05 AM   #86
hillaryjacques
Undercover, sort of...

hillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDurkin View Post
Currently can't get onto their website, which was not the case a couple weeks ago, because I was able to bookmark it. P&E is also reporting their link broken. Both Richard Henshaw and Susannah Taylor take the genres I'd be querying, but does anyone know where else I might find some info on them as individuals? I'd want to know which of the two would be the most appropriate for my specific work.

Thanks!
BRDurkin,

They are in the process of migrating their website to: http://richardhenshawgroup.com/

I think there have been some hiccups with the old web address redirecting to the new, and it appears that the submissions page is temporarily down at the new site.

They are both on agentquery dot com, I believe.
hillaryjacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #87
BRDurkin
Trigger-Happy Pyromaniac Writer

BRDurkin is a shiny, shiny jewelBRDurkin is a shiny, shiny jewel
Thanks very much for the new link and info, hillaryjacques. I'll be sure to check them out more in depth once they've had time to get their new site up and running.

Twitter

WIPs:
Kricket's Key - 65,525/90,000 (Steampunk Fantasy)

Into the Shade - 27,849/75,000 (Military Sci-Fi Thriller)

"Abyss" - Sci-fi Short for Kindle
BRDurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #88
Axordil
Is this thing on?

Axordil is on a distinguished road
The old website submissions URL makes my antivirus program very unhappy when I enter it. Hope they've got the new web home fully functional soon! Though it's functional enough to confirm the new physical address, and I'm probably going the snail route with them, myself.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #89
hillaryjacques
Undercover, sort of...

hillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axordil View Post
The old website submissions URL makes my antivirus program very unhappy when I enter it. Hope they've got the new web home fully functional soon! Though it's functional enough to confirm the new physical address, and I'm probably going the snail route with them, myself.
Oh, yikes!

The submission page appears to be up and running now. http://richardhenshawgroup.com/submissions/

Good luck, Axordil! I went the snail mail route myself when I queried.
hillaryjacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #90
mayqueen

mayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Does anyone know if a no from Richard is also a no from Susannah? Thanks!
Old 11-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #91
Richard Paolinelli
Sockpuppet

Richard Paolinelli is on a distinguished road
I queried Susannah and got a very nicely worded rejection two days later. Then about three weeks after that I got an e-mail from Mr. Henshaw asking for a 50-page partial.

Sent it to him on Nov. 11th, fingers and toes all crossed and nightly offerings to every god known in history as I await a reply......
Richard Paolinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #92
J.B.Kantt
Aspiring Young Author

J.B.Kantt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paolinelli View Post
I queried Susannah and got a very nicely worded rejection two days later. Then about three weeks after that I got an e-mail from Mr. Henshaw asking for a 50-page partial.

Sent it to him on Nov. 11th, fingers and toes all crossed and nightly offerings to every god known in history as I await a reply......
Good luck Richard!

WIW (~70K), TZS (~83K), TSW (~50K), SP (~53K), and ZT (~52K) : Shelved ... For Now

RAR: Currently Querying (~50K words)

ZB: Outlining ... sort of

Stop by my blog sometime!
J.A.Y.A.! (Journey of an Aspiring Young Author)
J.B.Kantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #93
Lindie_D
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Lindie_D is on a distinguished road
24 Hour turn around on a query. Sure, it was a rejection, but I still appreciate the speediness of the response.
Lindie_D is offline   Reply With Quote