Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Image search for large images?

It was hard enough to find hi-res wallpaper before, but now both Google and Bing seem to have taken away my ability to specify the resolution of images to search. Now they only have options like "Small," "Large," "Wallpaper," etc., even in the advanced search.

And their definitions of "Large" and "Wallpaper" are unhelpful when I have a 2880x1800 screen to fill.

Anyone else notice these options missing? Any other way to search for hi-res images?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Charles Farley
Bango Skank

Charles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
http://sixrevisions.com/resources/40...on-wallpapers/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWest View Post
*becomes hopelessly enmeshed in the narcissism*
Charles Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
It was hard enough to find hi-res wallpaper before, but now both Google and Bing seem to have taken away my ability to specify the resolution of images to search. Now they only have options like "Small," "Large," "Wallpaper," etc., even in the advanced search.

And their definitions of "Large" and "Wallpaper" are unhelpful when I have a 2880x1800 screen to fill.

Anyone else notice these options missing? Any other way to search for hi-res images?
I still have an 'exactly' option in GIS, so could search for exactly 2880x1800, or common resolutions in pro?
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Farley View Post
Thanks, but I'm searching for particular kinds of images.

ETA: Actually, none of those are hi-res enough anyway... They top out at 2560x1600.

(Anything related to Evangelion 3.0 specifically... only thing I've found so far is this, which is visibly scanned from a poster or similar source, so not the prettiest as wallpaper.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
I still have an 'exactly' option in GIS, so could search for exactly 2880x1800, or common resolutions in pro?
Why don't I still have the option??
Old 11-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Why don't I still have the option??
Weird. Perhaps they're rolling out some kind of change? I'm using Chrome, too, so it's possible certain features only exist in that browser, or maybe there's some extension hiding it?

EDIT: Any help?
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
Weird. Perhaps they're rolling out some kind of change? I'm using Chrome, too, so it's possible certain features only exist in that browser, or maybe there's some extension hiding it?
Just tried in Chrome. Same as in Safari. I got nothing.

Quote:
EDIT: Any help?
Thanks.

Dammit, everything is vertical. C'mon, Khara, make some widescreen posters.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
Charles Farley
Bango Skank

Charles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Thanks, but I'm searching for particular kinds of images.

ETA: Actually, none of those are hi-res enough anyway... They top out at 2560x1600.
Sorry . . yeah . . .I just realized that a little late . . . .

I get this in my google search advaced settings . .

http://support.google.com/images/bin...5176&ctx=topic

Quote:
Old 11-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

I'm in the US.

Yup, when I go to google.co.uk or google.ca, I get the old options back.

Watch out, they might be coming for you, too.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
Charles Farley
Bango Skank

Quote:
I'm in the US.

Yup, when I go to google.co.uk or google.ca, I get the old options back.

Watch it, they might be coming for you, too.
The Queen wont allow such nastiness . . .

Quote:
Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
In google (chrome) you can add "size 2880x1800" to the "evangelion" to refine the search.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #11
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebee View Post
In google (chrome) you can add "size 2880x1800" to the "evangelion" to refine the search.
Doesn't work for me.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #12
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
have you tried searching via duck duck go? (Just in case it is a filtering issue.)

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #13
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebee View Post
have you tried searching via duck duck go? (Just in case it is a filtering issue.)
Doesn't seem to change anything.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:26 AM   #14
ave
practical experience, FTW

ave is a shiny, shiny jewelave is a shiny, shiny jewel
(Using Google images)
once you've searched for your image, add this to the end of the address and press enter:

&tbs=islt:2mp,isz:ex,iszw:2880,iszh:1800
ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

The old options now appear in my google image search.

I checked the UK and Canada google sites, and they've changed, too. It seems they were changing the UI, but released it in the US before they'd added all the old options into it.